DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just install a pair of high end component speakers and it suggest to allow a running-in period of 15-25 play hours. Is that meant I can't play it at high volume during those time. What happen if I play at high volume consistantly during those times? Will it damage the speakers?
I am kind of nervous to turn the volume real loud because those speakers costed me $500.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
You don't need to break in speakers. Go ahead and play them as loud as you want.

Some manufacturers recommend a break in period, but that's only because the suspension will loosen up some and will change the tonal characteristics a little. In other words, some speakers can sound a little "harsh" or have some sort of other minor issues until the suspension breaks in. It's probably more so people don't ***** about the sound fresh out of the box.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
It won't harm the driver at all, but it most definitely can change the tone of the driver for the better. I couldn't STAND my PG Ti Elite until it losened up a little.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
As a general rule, a specific break-in procedure is not a necessary. If you don't play your new speakers any louder than normal listening levels and keep distortion to a minimum, they will naturally "loosen up" in short order without sustaining damage. I know for a fact that it is a real phenomenon, since I have experienced a number of times myself.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Door speakers do change with break-in, but most mass-market speakers sound better before they break in, to prevent returns at Best Buy after install. All suspensions change after some initial level of use.

But a speaker is not an engine, pre-break-in, there is no greater likelihood of damaging the speaker.

I told one customer that his DLS tweeters would sound very different after 2 hours of playing. After the install, he took the vehicle home and sat in the driveway for 2 hours listening to them, and called me from his cell after 2 hours to let me know that (in this one instance) I was right :)

·
Registered
636 Posts
Break-in in mostly a psycho-acoustics phenomenon. When your ears hear a new tonal quality, it may be surprising at first. But after a certain amount of time, you get used it and your brain adjusts for how it sounds. This makes it sound "better after break-in."

Think about it. You hear about break-in all the time. You hear about how breaking in speakers makes them sound better. How often do you hear about speakers sounding worse after breaking in? What are the chances that the changing of the thiele small parameters resulting from break-in would result in a more pleasing sound 100% of the time?

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
^^^Please keep logic out of here.:D

I mean someone posted a while back that Dynaudio told them their speakers need to be broken in for 350 hours.:laugh:

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
X2 - You guys and your logical scientific measured responses have no place here. My ears and heart are much better yardstick with which to measure performance than your silly test equipment. The Easter Bunny and Santa Claus are huge proponents of speaker break in too, so there!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Break-in in mostly a psycho-acoustics phenomenon. When your ears hear a new tonal quality, it may be surprising at first. But after a certain amount of time, you get used it and your brain adjusts for how it sounds. This makes it sound "better after break-in."

Think about it. You hear about break-in all the time. You hear about how breaking in speakers makes them sound better. How often do you hear about speakers sounding worse after breaking in? What are the chances that the changing of the thiele small parameters resulting from break-in would result in a more pleasing sound 100% of the time?
Ok, I thought about it. You are totally wrong, but I thought about ut.

Nothing random here. Speakers are designed. The designers either want them to sound best after break in or before. Usually after, for anything good. Tweeters especially change after break-in.

Make all the sarcastic cracks you want about logic ("an organized way of going wrong with confidence", Heinlein). It's not psychoacoustic. Next install I will test them...

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Ok, I thought about it. You are totally wrong, but I thought about ut.

Nothing random here. Speakers are designed. The designers either want them to sound best after break in or before. Usually after, for anything good. Tweeters especially change after break-in.

Make all the sarcastic cracks you want about logic ("an organized way of going wrong with confidence", Heinlein). It's not psychoacoustic. Next install I will test them...
You sort of give the impression that all speakers are quality speakers and are designed with "post break in" in mind. I'm sure the best ones are, but I really doubt most speakers are given that much care in their design.

My main point in this, if speakers need time to break in, it's going to happen anyway over time, there's nothing really that can be done to improve or change that process or anything special to prevent damage so there's no reason to really worry about it at all.:)

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
VP, it's already been tested in some subs. That audioholics link has some results.

I think it brings up 3 important questions though.

1. Are the changes audible? We're talking changes on the order of 1-2%.
2. Are the changes long-lasting? What was the "post break-in" period? Immediately after 20 hours of playing? What happens the next day after they've been sitting a while?
3. Are the changes good? If we assume #1 and #2 are true, does that mean that the changes are good? Why are we to assume a lower Qts is necessarily better than a higher Qts? People say that break-in "loosens up" a speaker. How come we don't want to "tighten up" the speaker? I think you alluded to this already, VP.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Do hard dome tweeters need to be broken or only soft dome? How about ribbons?

Here is my opinion (there's that word) how speaker break in works.

1. Drop $2k on some new speakers.
2. Take speakers home and hook them up to the audio system.
3. Get so excited you pee you pants a little.
4. Speakers sound like moldy a$$.
5. Throw up in your mouth a little bit.
6. Call speaker dealer to yell and scream and cry.
7. Demand $2K back
8. Dealer asks if you adjusted the Kanuter Valve and checked the Henway. "Of course” you exclaim, "Do you take me for some kind of gullible idiot?"
9. "Ah Ha" Dealer says "The Speakers need to be broken in".
10. Set tuner to a blank frequency and crank the volume.
11. Try to sleep with that annoying hiss coming from the living room.
12. Next day after work come home put on some music.
13. "Viola" the speakers have opened up, it is like a veil has been removed. Accuracy and pace have improved. Male voices are rendered with authority; female voices bring you to tears of joy. The midbass thumps you in the chest like a hammer. The moldy a$$ has been banished forever, and replaced with sonic nirvana.

(I am not really sure of the correct technical term for sounding like moldy a$$, but it will have to do for now)

And Ok I am guilty of being just a slight bit sarcastic.

But on a serious note VP - I look forward to your test results. May I ask what test methodology you plan to employ to prove (or disprove) your break-in hypothesis?

If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle. ~Rita Mae Brown

Logic hasn't wholly dispelled the society of witches and prophets and sorcerers and soothsayers. ~Raymond F. Jones, The Non-Statistical Man

“The world is full of strange phenomena that cannot be explained by the laws of logic or science. Dennis Rodman is only one example.”

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did notice my DLS Nobelium 6.2 sound better today compare to yestersday after the install. The tweeters seem to be more livelier for some reason.

Door speakers do change with break-in, but most mass-market speakers sound better before they break in, to prevent returns at Best Buy after install. All suspensions change after some initial level of use.

But a speaker is not an engine, pre-break-in, there is no greater likelihood of damaging the speaker.

I told one customer that his DLS tweeters would sound very different after 2 hours of playing. After the install, he took the vehicle home and sat in the driveway for 2 hours listening to them, and called me from his cell after 2 hours to let me know that (in this one instance) I was right :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
my speakers sound different every time i listen to them, they sound great one time , then lousy the next, i guess it depends on my mood at the time :)

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Probably depends even more on the music!
Yeah. I always knew what songs sounded great, and they did every time. Other times I'd hear something for the first time and think "My system sounds like ****". Then I'd play a known good sounding song and think, "Wait, my system kicks ass".:)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts