DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyway...

Since I just finished the beater car's system now it is time to concentrate on my upcoming high SQ VW R32 install. I have most things either bought or picked out. I just would like some alternate ideas in the amp department.

My needs are:

Two amps maximum
70-150W for tweets
100-175W for midrange
150-250W for midbass
250W+ for sub

Budget less than $1400 for amps
No x-overs needed (using PXA-H701)
Used or online sources are fine

Two companies I have researched extensively are Zed Audio and Xetec. Both have products that can (or will if released ;) )fullfill my needs without breaking the bank.

Well, let the brainstorming begin! :D

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
tweeters dont need much power... a 50w/ch amp would be plenty for pretty much any tweeter... save the $ there and spend it on more power for your midbass... :D ;)

What drivers are you gonna be using on the R32?

Leo

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually I had typed out all the drivers, but I thought it would be too long a post! So here is the system I was planning: (* indicates already owned)

Alpina DVA-D300*
Alpina PXA-H701

(Amp one)
(Amp two)

Tweets: LPG 25nfa/na or Scan-Speak 6000
Midrange: Trius 3" (where can I find this in the US?)
Midbass: Adire Exrtemis 6.8*

I can understand less power on the tweets. But 75W to my Seas Lotus isn't enough. I want to make sure I have lots of headroom on this install. Hope this helps....

·
Registered
693 Posts
ArcL100 said:
[email protected] is a little weak for mids and midbasses no?

I guess if we knew the driver's it'd be a lil easier.

-aaron

for alot of people....yes. my CA18's get just under 17 watts. and im amazed with them every time i listen to them. u dont need that much power. ive been thinking about putting my 2500 on them, and im sure i will love the results. but i dont really see the need to change amps.

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
I have 25 rated watts going to my a/d/s 6.5's and it gets PLENTY loud. Now it's a Pharm Truk and it still gets plenty loud while working out in the pasture :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
two Alpine MRV-F345 works for me.

^channels 1 and 2 for mids and tweets and channels 3 and 4 bridged for the midbasses..

·
Registered
578 Posts
I 2nd the Alpines...

Also... i just picked up a pair of JL e6450's... Having had the pleasure to tune a friend's car with the slash series, I can say with confidence that the e series have nothing to envy it "higher end" bretheren...

http://carsound.com/articles/publish/article_268.shtml

I paid $730 Authorized for the pair... you can probably do better on ebay...

be Gentle with the R32, please... :(

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
What about 2 of those huge 4 ch RF power amps? Those have some serious power... and not too bad price wise.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
10K2HVN said:
two Alpine MRV-F345 works for me.

^channels 1 and 2 for mids and tweets and channels 3 and 4 bridged for the midbasses..
Yes, but then I'll need a third for a sub. Too many for me.

racerraul said:
be Gentle with the R32, please... :(
but not too gentle :D

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
racerraul said:
I paid $730 Authorized for the pair... you can probably do better on ebay...(
Wow. They're less then half that on ebay. I read that carsound article too and was intrigued. Considering using one to run my whole setup - how do they compare to your alpines?

-aaron

·
Registered
578 Posts
ArcL100 said:
Wow. They're less then half that on ebay. I read that carsound article too and was intrigued. Considering using one to run my whole setup - how do they compare to your alpines?

-aaron
I got mine for $340each + tax... I think I saw them on ebay for around $250-$300... I did buy them Authorized so I paid a little more to get them on the spot & better support (if needed).

They are every bit as good as the Alpines... I do like the footprint of the Alpines better & the Alpines have better xOvers... Powerwise they are nearly identical per channel...

·
Registered
578 Posts
Finleyville said:
but not too gentle :D
I did not mean on the twisties, my friend ;) But gentle on the interior mods... with the limited availability in the US, they may go up in value... a very rare possibility, I know... but a possibility nonetheless...

·
Ignorance is Bliss
181 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
racerraul said:
I did not mean on the twisties, my friend ;) But gentle on the interior mods... with the limited availability in the US, they may go up in value... a very rare possibility, I know... but a possibility nonetheless...
Since I do not want kick panels I will unfortunately be cutting into the door panels for the small midrange speaker pods. The tweets and midbass will be in the stock locations. I know, I know... the thought of it makes me cringe too. :(

·
Registered
578 Posts
May I recommend a nice Arai Helmet (custom painted replica of your fav race car driver) & perhaps a nice set of driving gloves??? Would save those doors & you ca wear headphones ;)

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
racerraul said:
I got mine for $340each + tax... I think I saw them on ebay for around $250-$300... I did buy them Authorized so I paid a little more to get them on the spot & better support (if needed).
For the PAIR. Forgive me for being an idiot. I think it's really interesting that you can't even get a JL 500/4 for that.

-aaron

·
Registered
242 Posts

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
daitrong said:
Honestly i don't see how the VRX6ch amplifier is in anyway better than the JBL 6ch amplifier that cost 230 shipped bnib at SD. 65x4 and 105x2 at 4 ohms. More suited for a 3 way active than say the audison 75x6, imho :)
You forget bling factor... name brand prestige... and maybe it uses more expensive, quality parts that don't make a bit of difference :)

But honestly, I don't know.

I'm partial to the RF power series if only I could fit them in my car. Ding had great things to say about them, and I believe he tested the t8004 (50x4) at 120x4. I'd hate to see what the 125x4 actually outputs.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts