DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading a post here on DIYmobileaudio a while ago about how the person was getting more grounding noise in his system with his amplifier bridged than not, I decided to unbridge my Kappa 5 and run my front components off of one channel each (using #1 and #4 channel). Lo and behold my engine noise I was getting was almost completely gone from my tweeters and I have some much needed stereo seperation that I did not have before(at times tweeters sounded a little muddy apparently it was two channels leaking into each other and the tweeters attempting to play both). While this did wonders for my tweeters, unfortunately it made my already weak midbass pretty much non existent(currently using Morel Maximo components), I guess the problem of going from 150 watts bridged to 50 watts to the components. BUT since I have two channels unused from my Kappa 5 now and since it has bandpass capabilities for the signal I was considering splitting the signal from the RCAs right before it plugs into the amp and using all four channels, two for the Maximo tweeters and two for a different set of midbass, the ones that caught my eye are these Image Dynamics http://www.woofersetc.com/p-7175-cx6...s-drivers.aspx. Since they are 2ohm drivers they would see 75 watts each and hopefully give me some much needed midbass. The tweeters would have the 50 watts at 4ohm on tap however I would turn the gain down to the minimum to give them less than that. Only problem I see is that since the signal from my stock headunit in my 2004 Acura TL is already on the weak side at about .9v would splitting it before entering the amp make the quality degrade or cause any problems? My amplifier can take signal down to .2v and to ease problems of sound entering at the split it would occur right before the amplifier.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
It depends on the input impedance of the amplifier and output capability of the HU, long as the HU sees impedance great enough it will not care. However you might be better off with some kind of LOC if you have noise issues anyway. Others here know more current ones than I do, in general they tend to work better.

Far as the MB the new ones might work better, but 50 to 75 rms is not going to be that much difference. I swapped that on passive comps in my car a few times, you notice but it is not that much louder. That said it should sound the same (not counting if you change to active) up to a point, the extra power will only allow it to go louder without clipping. If you have a change in sound it should be something else causing it or you are into clipping.

If the kappa is otherwise working for you I'd think about bridging the woofer only, it should not affect quality or you have an input issue, then get a smaller 2ch for the tweeters 2x50 would be plenty for them.

I highly doubt the amp can 'mix' channels even if it were broken, unless you had a setting on it incorrect. IIRC my kappa 4 I can set what the channels use for input and run the whole 4ch off one set of RCA, if I need to. I would guess you have an input problem and would try some kind of processor, LOC, EQ, etc between the amp and HU. Stock HU direct input to amps is often problematic, I know some of the reasons but not all, it just seems easier to use something and avoid it.

You can try splitting the RCA and see what happens. If it sounds strange or cuts out at high volumes or you get noise then its not going to work, but it might, just don't be surprised if it is not ideal.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I need to go and make sure everything was correct when bridged then first. If you say you can run the input to the amp on your Kappa Four off one input if you wanted then technically I could run the two inputs and hopefully get four channels out, two for the tweeters and two for the midbass. I have to see what else I can do with this amp, it was a factory refurb so honestly I'm not sure if perhaps some problems could be from that fact or maybe the stock wiring.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts