DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WELL...I would like to try out some 15" subs. I have been running 12s for as long as I can remember. I am now moving my system into a 2010 suburban and would like to "move more air" but do it accurately. I love the current subs I am using (ARC12D2), but am having a hard time finding them in 15s. Each sub will see a Zed Minotaur (650 @4ohms/ [email protected]). I would like to run @ 4ohms/sealed enclosure. So I'm wondering if anyone here has heard the dayton HO, the TC sounds, or ANYTHING else they would like to throw out there as recommendations. Thanks in advance for any and all input!!

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I've run the Acoustic Elegance and Tempest X 15s. I've heard the IDQ15.

The AE IB15 is extremely accurate, tight, punchy, pretty much every adjective you would use to describe a 10,12,and 15 lol. Not sure if IB is your thing.

An equivalent 15 will sound just as good or better than it's smaller version, just make sure to give it the airspace it needs. That's one reason I chose infinite baffle and a pair of 15s. They take up about the same space as a shallow 10" in a box with great SQ and require VERY little power to get loud and low.

The IDQ15s that I've heard have been a pair in IB which sounded very good and one in a sealed box that also sounded very good.

The tempest X had way too much low end and no top end, at least in IB in a car trunk but it's a HT sub anyway so it did what it was designed to do.

Sorry this doesn't help much, most of my experience with 15s is second hand experience or infinite baffle.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've run the Acoustic Elegance and Tempest X 15s. I've heard the IDQ15.

The AE IB15 is extremely accurate, tight, punchy, pretty much every adjective you would use to describe a 10,12,and 15 lol. Not sure if IB is your thing.

An equivalent 15 will sound just as good or better than it's smaller version, just make sure to give it the airspace it needs. That's one reason I chose infinite baffle and a pair of 15s. They take up about the same space as a shallow 10" in a box with great SQ and require VERY little power to get loud and low.

The IDQ15s that I've heard have been a pair in IB which sounded very good and one in a sealed box that also sounded very good.

The tempest X had way too much low end and no top end, at least in IB in a car trunk but it's a HT sub anyway so it did what it was designed to do.

Sorry this doesn't help much, most of my experience with 15s is second hand experience or infinite baffle.
Thanks for the input, the only problem with doing an IB setup in a suburban is...no trunk and loading/unloading.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Suggest ported tuned low to give that little bump in the low section that you will miss in that cavern of an SUV (ex suburban owner :D)

The Dayton HO 15 sounds good ported or sealed.

I am a fan of TC subs and run one still.

The dayton Titanic is actually great sounding

JBL WGTi 15 is my "The one that got away." I had a chance and dillydallied and missed out. Other than some subs you can't get now, this would be my cost no object one followed by a TC lms5400 15 which you can't get new anymore (they come in 18" flavor and cost more than putting a kid through college).

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Suggest ported tuned low to give that little bump in the low section that you will miss in that cavern of an SUV (ex suburban owner :D)

The Dayton HO 15 sounds good ported or sealed.

I am a fan of TC subs and run one still.

The dayton Titanic is actually great sounding

JBL WGTi 15 is my "The one that got away." I had a chance and dillydallied and missed out. Other than some subs you can't get now, this would be my cost no object one followed by a TC lms5400 15 which you can't get new anymore (they come in 18" flavor and cost more than putting a kid through college).
LOL, thanks! It's funny that this is the first SUV that I have owned (I've always had coupes). I've built so many systems in SUVs over my 23 years installing/fabricating, but never once, has a customer wanted to try a SQ build in one and for obvious reasons (it is a cavern, and a "boom box"). I am doing some VERY "different" things in this build. This is why I am asking about these aforementioned subs, as I have heard good things about them, but haven't heard them personally. Thanks for the input, my ears/eyes are still wide open to anything else that wants to be mentioned.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I think the key in your suburban will be midbass like in most vehicles. Your doors will house one heck of a selectin of speakers. Have seen up to 10" pro-audio drivers in the front doors. Look for treetop and tridiot (I believe) install threads.

Other than that, it's just a cone area and power thing. My son ran 4 8's and 4 10's in our suburban when he was driving it for a while. Boom central for sure. I just have a sneaking suspicion that the sealed enclosure roll off will not couple as nicely as in a sedan/coupe/hatch vehicle. Sure it will still have bass but not like a car. Of course I am speaking out my arse as I never ran sealed in the burban.:blush:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a Yukon with (2) Orion 2NT12's in a Decware Inverted Wedge running from a Directed 1100D. It does want to get boomy but digs deep and doesn't have much trouble filling the space.

In my house, I have a single Dayton Titanic 15" in a rock solid ported box running off of a bridged Behringer EP1500. I want to put it in the back of the Yukon for fun but haven't gotten around to it. The box is huge so it would have to be temporary and just to compare. It sounds good though and is very capable of moving some air. I am sure this single 15 ported will outperform the old school Orion's sealed.

FWIW, the Titanic appears to be built very well and has proved itself thus far.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the key in your suburban will be midbass like in most vehicles. Your doors will house one heck of a selectin of speakers. Have seen up to 10" pro-audio drivers in the front doors. Look for treetop and tridiot (I believe) install threads.

Other than that, it's just a cone area and power thing. My son ran 4 8's and 4 10's in our suburban when he was driving it for a while. Boom central for sure. I just have a sneaking suspicion that the sealed enclosure roll off will not couple as nicely as in a sedan/coupe/hatch vehicle. Sure it will still have bass but not like a car. Of course I am speaking out my arse as I never ran sealed in the burban.:blush:
I am a firm believer in the fact that 75-90% of systems out there lack in mid bass. I will be running dual 6.5 in. DLS Gothia mid bass drivers in a MMT array in pods i am building for the doors (active). This should give me what I need in the mid bass area. The subs are positioned just behind the back seat, facing forward...yes facing forward and raised up about 9 inches so that when the back seat is folded down (which is most of the time) they fire unobstructed towards the front. I have had extremely good results with it set up this way using the 12" subs for now and making phase adjustments to correct that wave loading up off of the windshield. I agree that the sealed enclosure will roll of sooner than I would like, especially with 12s... thus the interest in going to 15s as I feel that this will also minimize the need for EQ-ing in the lower octaves. What do you think?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a Yukon with (2) Orion 2NT12's in a Decware Inverted Wedge running from a Directed 1100D. It does want to get boomy but digs deep and doesn't have much trouble filling the space.

In my house, I have a single Dayton Titanic 15" in a rock solid ported box running off of a bridged Behringer EP1500. I want to put it in the back of the Yukon for fun but haven't gotten around to it. The box is huge so it would have to be temporary and just to compare. It sounds good though and is very capable of moving some air. I am sure this single 15 ported will outperform the old school Orion's sealed.

FWIW, the Titanic appears to be built very well and has proved itself thus far.
The titanic looks to be very nicely built as well, but seems (spec/review wise) to be more SPL oriented.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've used the Titanic and Reference Series Dayton subs. They are very nice but I'd give the slight SQ nod to the Reference Series. The JBL WGTi is considered the standard by many folks. For the best performance vs. cost ratio, I'd choose the Dayton Reference Series. Couple of Dayton 15 HO's in a well-made sealed box should be pretty nice all the way around.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've used the Titanic and Reference Series Dayton subs. They are very nice but I'd give the slight SQ nod to the Reference Series. The JBL WGTi is considered the standard by many folks. For the best performance vs. cost ratio, I'd choose the Dayton Reference Series. Couple of Dayton 15 HO's in a well-made sealed box should be pretty nice all the way around.
This is definitely what I am leaning towards right now, only thinking the HF daytons might sound a touch better (slightly higher xmax/sensitivty, Qms is a tad lower). Thanks! Anyone else have any input?

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I am a firm believer in the fact that 75-90% of systems out there lack in mid bass. I will be running dual 6.5 in. DLS Gothia mid bass drivers in a MMT array in pods i am building for the doors (active). This should give me what I need in the mid bass area. The subs are positioned just behind the back seat, facing forward...yes facing forward and raised up about 9 inches so that when the back seat is folded down (which is most of the time) they fire unobstructed towards the front. I have had extremely good results with it set up this way using the 12" subs for now and making phase adjustments to correct that wave loading up off of the windshield. I agree that the sealed enclosure will roll of sooner than I would like, especially with 12s... thus the interest in going to 15s as I feel that this will also minimize the need for EQ-ing in the lower octaves. What do you think?
I think that's a great idea. A pair of 15s in a LARGE sealed box should do what you want them to do. I've run a few sets of 12" subs in sealed enclosures built to manufacturer's spec and each time I tried the same subs in a much larger enclosure, they required less eq, gained SPL for the same power level, lost the boominess but gained low end, just better all around.

I would like to know how you like those Gothias. I came so close to pulling the trigger on them right before I got my Dyns

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think that's a great idea. A pair of 15s in a LARGE sealed box should do what you want them to do. I've run a few sets of 12" subs in sealed enclosures built to manufacturer's spec and each time I tried the same subs in a much larger enclosure, they required less eq, gained SPL for the same power level, lost the boominess but gained low end, just better all around.

I would like to know how you like those Gothias. I came so close to pulling the trigger on them right before I got my Dyns
Right on! That has been my experience as well. As far as the gothias go...I can't say enough good stuff about them. Off axis response is A+ no joke, they are MORE than capable from 60hz up, mid bass=A+, upper frequencies are super detailed but smooth and never fatiguing. They are warm, smooth, and detailed. I am extremely happy with them. I haven't heard anything better in 23 years for money and in most cases, 2-3 times the money. But that is just how MY ears feel about them.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PLEASE keep the input coming, I've gotten some good stuff from everyone so far!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hope there is more input to come guys. I think I'm gonna order the daytons to start off with, looking @ some others as well. Let's hear what everyone has to say!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have to ask...has anyone heard the "new" round solo-baric 15s. I was a fan of the originals back in the day. I'm just curious as to wether or not the new ones are any good. I know they were always a bit on the "slow" side.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the tip seagrasser, those tc sounds drivers sure are tempting.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I had a TC2000 & it was great! I started with the recommended 2 cf sealed, sounded very accurate & well-controlled. Went to a ported box later & it beat the **** out of my poor Civic.

Those Dayton RS 15's have appealed to me for a long time. They don't need too large of an enclosure either.

1 - 20 of 195 Posts