DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have hit the search button 100+ times and posted a few feeler threads but I can't seem to find the definite answer/review/anything for what I'm looking for and like the title says, I'm looking to get the best sound quality possible but build something that the wallet will agree with. I am looking to hear from people who have experience and are willing to give their honest opinion...not looking for the ones who have heard or something to offer that has come from a friend's uncle's cousin.

I have an '04 F150 Supercrew. What I would like to do is have a 3-way set up front and a 2-way set in the rear. I saw in my buddy's new Dodge Ram that the Alpine system has the tweeters in the ceiling in the rear, i'd like to do that just because it's different. BUT how would that placement sound? Worth it or just put them in the doors? It sounds great in the Dodge but i'm sure there was a lot of tuning gone into that. I'm looking to get a slight custom look, nothing crazy, but want it to look clean and mature. I've been asked what kind of music do I listen to, seems to be a pivotal question, so I listen to everything, I mean it. Rap/Hip-Hop, Rock, Metal, Classical, but especially enjoy Jazz/Blues, Live music. Most of my iPod is stuffed with music that has been remastered from concerts, unplugged sessions, etc.

The headunit I've chosen is the Pioneer P99RS and I currently have two 10" Diamond Audio subs and would like to keep these, I think they sound great! But I am willing to listen to suggestions for sub upgrades, I am just limited on space, the box I have is about 5.5" mounting depth without installing seat lifters and i'm not really looking to do that.

Next, I have narrowed it down to these components to:

Focal- 3-way 165 KRX3
Morel- Elate Limited Edition
Hertz- Mille MLK 3

Same for the rear, just a 2-way set.

Amps-

Arc Audio- (2) SE4200 for components (I've been told due to the head unit and to really hear the full potential of the speakers, I would need 2 of these.)

Arc Audio- KS1000.1 for subs

I have looked into Audison but I think the price of those amps/speakers would turn this project into something I would need a loan for, I could be wrong though...hopefully someone can throw their expertise in on this too.

Thanks in advance for help everyone; once everything is decided pics of the speakers and install will follow.

·
Registered
448 Posts
If you listen to alot of live stuff as i do, i tend to like a setup with a little brighter tweeter.. i find the treble gets lost in alot of live recordings. IM using the JBL c608gti set and love them on live stuff! Just wish they were a little warmer on other stuff. so in that case i would say the krx3 set would be to my liking. but im sure you cant go wrong with any of those sets. Those arc audio amps are great cant go wrong there. If you already have and love the diamond subs keep em. The only subs i would recommend at this time that ive tried would be the new arc audio black series. i have 2 of them in my f250 crew cab and they are the best I'VE had. out of idq12v3, idq12v2,re se,re sr,pioneer jsut to name a few. but they like power 800-900 a piece.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Are u going active? The ARC blacks are pretty nice and HATs go good in am active system with arc
More importantly u need a proper install with adequate sound deadening.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are u going active? The ARC blacks are pretty nice and HATs go good in am active system with arc
More importantly u need a proper install with adequate sound deadening.
Yes, active and the sound deadening is a must. I have found quite a few decent links on here for those items. As far as the subs, I am not opposed to trying something new BUT I am limited to space and I was able to stuff the Diamonds in the box and still be within the recommended specs for them; I've only got a little over 5 inches of depth since the box is underneath the back seat of the truck. I thought about building a new ported box, as the one I have now is sealed, just to get a little more "umph" out of them...gotta check in the measurements and make sure it'll fit underneath the seat.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'm partial to the Hertz MLK3 set. I have used a lot of these and had fantastic results, the Morel is also a darn good set. I'm sure it will go back and forth, but I would drop the rear speakers and spend the time/money on even more sound damping/control and rebuilding the sub box with a vented design. The power you mention would be great for the MLK 3 setup with 110 per mid and tweet and 400 watts to the mid-bass drivers. You will need the vented box to keep up with this setup as your front stage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you considered Dynaudio?
Damn nice GN! The GN's and Monte Carlo SS's are my favorite, would love to have either of those in my garage!

I have considered them but I don't know much about it...so I kinda stay away from it. What's your thoughts in comparison to stuff I listed above?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well after much consideration and advice, here's the list:

Front-
3-Way set up, HAT
L8SE Midbass, L4SE Midrange, Pro L1 R2 Tweeters

Rear-
2-Way-Clarus
Throwing around the idea of installing the tweeters in the ceiling. I know this may shorten the width of the sound but I am not competing so it should be okay...we'll see.

Amps-
Arc Audio
SE4100 (2 each for components for)
SE4200 (1 each for subs)

Headunit-
Pioneer DEX-P99RS

Subs-
Arc Audio Black Series pair of 10" in matching covered box

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I recently heard a Ram with the rear tweeters in the headliner; IMHO it doesn't do anything positive for SQ, but I gotta admit that it is a bit different.

Personally, I would consider getting the Imagine convertible set for the rear instead - this way, you can try them coaxial first, in order to evaluate if mounting the tweeter separately is worthwhile.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I recently heard a Ram with the rear tweeters in the headliner; IMHO it doesn't do anything positive for SQ, but I gotta admit that it is a bit different.

Personally, I would consider getting the Imagine convertible set for the rear instead - this way, you can try them coaxial first, in order to evaluate if mounting the tweeter separately is worthwhile.
That's where I saw it first also and thought the same thing. I was figuring that it wouldn't help, but something different. And I just got a call from the dealership that was repairing the moonroof; I had given them some Dynamat to install on the roof and they told me that with the moonroof in there, there isn't enough room to install the matting. So now i'm thinking that there won't be enough for the tweeters up there too. Might have to be stuck in the doors or maybe higher up on the pillars in the back or pods fab'd for the b-pillars facing the back seaters...

just a few thoughts to keep a unique look it-

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have considered them but I don't know much about it...so I kinda stay away from it. What's your thoughts in comparison to stuff I listed above?
Dyns are one of the most detailed and accurate sounding speakers. Maybe a bit dark bass charisteric (if they are anything like their home audio drivers). But so effortless to listen that I would have Dyns anytime anywhere.

But I'm happy also with my Seas, and upgrading them to dyns would be mega expensive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts