DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

i come from Italy and i am a car audio enthusiast.

Let's go straight to the point: i am trying to build a complete sq car audio system based on TRU technology amp (if i do not make a mistake it would be the only one in Europe..) but i need your help. I consider them very high quality and i love own rare things.

I have a Jl 12w7 subwoofer which i would use with a hammer amp. How would you rate this amp? which are the differences between the standard versione and the copper one? Is different only the heatsink or also the cicuits?

At the front i have a 2 way Morel supremo system (with 9" woofers, in the future upgradable to a 3 way): how do you consider a c7.2 amp for the woofers (maybe the version with tube preamp)?

For the tweeters (supremo piccolo) i saw the AC 1 amp which is an a class one and it is superb: is the only one i've listened (i think there a 2 of these amp in Italy) and it is simply amazing.

Headunit is an Alpine 7990 with a tweaked pxa 700 (master clock, capacitors, operationals...changed)

If the Ac 1 is steady point, which are your opinions of the other two amps? I search quality but also dynamic, not "only small bells"

Thank you

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
The Copper series are upgrades of the standard Billet series. With the early models, however, the differences are minor, but yes they include circuits. If you want to throw money at your project, the Copper Hammer is prettier, but let's be real, this is a sub amp. You don't need an SQ amp on a sub. It's silly. It's a wonderful amp. A regular Hammer would be all you need.

You are unlikely to find a C-7.2. I have never seen one for sale. I don't know how many they made, but I could probably count them on my hands. I also don't think it's enough power. Morel's love power. If you want a Copper, get a C-7.4 and bridge it. That will give you 550x2 for the Supremo 9s. Remember, you don't have to use all the power, but it's nice to have it for headroom. The 200x2 of the C-7.2 is not enough in my opinion.

If you can afford the AC-1, go for it. I've only seen two for sale ever and the cheapest went for $2,200 I think. If I had the money I would get either that or a Genesis DMA for my Piccolos.

The Trus Coppers are the finest amps I have ever heard and also the sexiest. If you don't mind the cost, you will be very happy with your system.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your answer.

I found a c7.2 for sale in the classifieds section but it was an old thread 8it was sold for "only" 880$ :eek:)
I think that its power sould bemore than enough to drive the woofers, more than 200w per channel are not few, but for me is more important its quality. I read that they it a very neutral sound, is it tru?

I do not agree with you when you write that i do not need a SQ amp fpr a sub: a good class a/b amp cannot be compared with a class d one!
Anyway how does a hammer compare, for example, with a zapco z600?

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
find an abyss dealer if you can. might be a better way to go.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have just checked the abyiss web site and their products are very very interesting!! BUT: where can be found????:confused:

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
My point is that you don't need WIMA film caps on a sub amp. The standard Hammer is more than enough. The Copper is just a waste of money. I would argue that a class D is more than enough to a sub too, but the standard Hammer will make you very happy.

More power = better SQ. The music will retain its dynamics. I have 150w to each of my Supremo SW6 from my C-7.4 and I can tell you that this is nowhere near enough. When I ran them from my Linear Power 2.2 they were getting just the right amount of power and it makes more than a C-7.2. You have the even more power hungry SW9. You don't need 550w x 2, but I would rather have too much than too little, and I can tell you from experience that 200w x 2 is not enough to truly enjoy the SW9. 300w x 2 would be great for them, but that's not an option with Tru Coppers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
in fact c7.2 is 250w x2, i think it is quite underrated and sw9 are less than 4 ohm..i currently use a zapco studio 500 LE (same 250w declared) and i do not have the need to have more power

·
Administrator
17,763 Posts
LoL I love the Abyss = TRU threads ....

·
Administrator
17,763 Posts
Lucky for you they never seem to die...
It's usually the ones that think they know what they are saying to be true that humor me the most. What is sad is that it is misleading to the consumer.

Lose- Lose for me though since if I start to debate it, then I am a fan boy or a 'pusher' of their products - having an affiliation with them of course also typically makes me biased too, blah blah blah. :rolleyes: If I just let it go, then I let the consumer be mislead.

I normally end up choosing the latter though just to avoid stirring up drama.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
This is the 1st time I have heard about abyss-tru thing.

If you do not want to say anything else. Someone PM what the actual deal is.

They do appear similiar but so do a lot of other products.

·
Registered
784 Posts
From what I understood the coppers were quite an old series, and the word was that the newer billets are actually superior to the coppers.

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,007 Posts
Well, if Tru had not stolen Abyss's designs, there would be no Tru-Abyss thing. :p

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is an old story and we will not ever know what happend in reality

What is important is that both brands are of excellent quality. Is Abyss imported in USA now? Are there any dealer?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I have never seen an Abyss dealer here and I think it's unlikely that they will come here.

Regardless, yes, both are excellent amps although TRU has updated their amp designs while Abyss seems to be making the same amps from 12 years ago.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts