DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking to get a good sounding SQ system in stock locations for the time being in a 2007 Chevy Cobalt. This is a shared car and it needs to be totally usable and left as stock as possible. I've been trolling forums for deals on used gear, as I figured i'd get more bang for my sq dollar that way. Original budget was $1000.oo and I'm trying to still stay close to that budget. The plans call for an active front end and, more then likely no rear fill. So far this is the list of goodies compiled, and whats left to get,

Head unit: Pioneer P880PRS $165.oo

Front stage: -Image Dynamics XS65 two-way 6.5" $140.oo

Front stage amp: Sundown 100.4 $200.00

Subwoofer: ??? (2x8" alpine type R?)

Subwoofer amp: Sundown 125.5 $200.00

Wiring and interconnects: Knu $50.00

Sound deadening: B-Quiet $100.00

As you can see I'm already reaching the $855.00 mark on items already purchased, but I feel I can get to my goal of budget SQ if I stay vigilant and find the deals. Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated, as this will be my first active set-up in car. Also, if any one can hit me with links on setting up active in car from scratch, and give me opinions and what I could expect from this system with the gear I have selected.

Thanks Lymen

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sundown Audio is huge in the SPL lanes (and I have run SA equipment in the past), but never heard SA and SQ in the same sentence...... Their amps make a lot of power, but you would be shocked when you start looking at stats, such as THD, S/N ratio and dampening factor with their amps. You can find much cleaner amps than SA, trust me.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
The deck is a good start, but I would keep shopping around for everything else. Since you are going to use active processing, you could easily utilize some very affordable DIY speakers instead of a pre-fab set that comes with passive xovers that you don't need but will still be paying for.

I would recommend a single ported 12" for the trunk - that way, you get plenty of output without taking up much space, plus, you only have to buy one speaker.

Madisound Speaker Components: distributor of loudspeaker drivers and parts for speaker builders.

Parts-Express.com sells Speakers, Replacement Speakers, Speaker Building Parts plus HDMI Cables, Home Audio and Video, Pro Audio and Commercial Sound. We offer services for Speaker Reconing, Speaker Refoaming, Speaker Repair. Great selection of Elect

Also, take a look at the classifieds section - lots of good deals on great stuff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts