DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fairly solid car, 95' M3 with 6.5's mounted in the kicks. Old dynamat on the inside and around the cut-out. When I replaced the drivers I noticed the cut-out surface isn't flat, isn't fully sealed or even touching the basket in certain areas of circumference. No rattles, but a little less mid-bass than I had come to expect. I applied some weather stripping type tape to seal gaps before I really attack the fix.

I'm curious what kind of improvement baffles properly installed would yield? Do I need to clay (where is modeling clay sold?) to seal the baffle to the sheet metal or is clay just to add mass? What material should be used between baffle and sheet metal and baffle to speaker?

I plan on making the baffles out of a cutting board, what thickness should I shoot for?

For you E36 owners out there, do I need to deaden my doors? I'm not using those speakers and we all know how heavy E36 coupe doors are from the factory. Are there any areas on my car I really should deaden? Not much tin can sound on these cars to start with...

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
It's definitely one of the most important things there is. There are 2 primary functions:

1) separate front wave from back wave (needs to be completely sealed to do this)
2) not resonate in the passband (being massive helps here)

The modeling clay is primarily used to add mass, but it is equally important that everything is well sealed. Closed cell foam works well as a gasket material IMO.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts