DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2000 TJ with 25k miles on it from my dad last week.
Eventaully I am going to soun ddeaden the entire thing and put the video up on our site. That might take some time though.

So I have been driving it around, thinking about what I could do to it, and I gotta say, NOT MUCH.
I am sure I can do lots of custom fab to get it to where I want it to be, but part of me says screw it! I'll just put in a nice systems and be done with it. Afterall, it is a weekend 4x4 cruiser. Not my DD. WIth the top down, SQ goes out the window anyway (literally), so I may as well just buy some nice equipment and make it as basic and functional as I can.

The other side of me says go for it and do somthing that very few people would be willing to do.

I think however, I want to keep things to a minimum with this one. Loud, clean, warm and bright.

Any suggestions for a Jeep owner?

ANT

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
as long as all the drivers are close to you (doors/floor) with lots of power, no reason it couldnt sound great even with the roof down @ 70 mph.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If it was a soft top, I personally wouldn't bother with expensive things. I would look for durability and water resistance for any equipment that would be installed. I mean otherwise it kinda ruins the purpose of the jeep, for me anyway. I wouldn't want to lose the ability to hose the thing out. Especially if you are going to be doing off roading with it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I just finished an install on my jeep wrangler. alpine 9813 ,phoenix gold rsd 6.5's active off of an older punch 4 channel and an oz matrix 12 off an old school kicker dx700. Sounds great,but sq yah right. Just go for loud and clean. At 50mph with mud terrains you are not going to have sq. One thing that I have noticed is that I need more bass since I am loosing cabin gain. Two 12's should do it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You might try using marine audio components, especially if you're doing any sort of off roading. i know there are several reputable companies that produce marine audio, but i don't know how the SQ would be. they should at least be more durable that autosound drivers, though.

·
Registered
597 Posts
As a former Wrangler owner I can tell you that any, and I mean ANY, sound deadener you apply is a waste of money.

Sound quality? You must be joking. No good location for drivers, seating position, lack of sound deadening, open top, tire noise, engine noise, transmission noise. The best you can hope for is LOUD. Blaring loud.

You"ll have the same problem I had: I could drive down the street with the volume at full tilt and people on the sidewalk would say "Damn that's loud as hell" and meanwhile I was driving, thinking to myself "Man, I can't hear shit over this wind and tire noise."

On the other hand I think my best investment was a Bestop Sailcloth top. With the top up the noise was at least "tolerable"

Don't get me wrong, I love Jeeps. In fact I'm looking for another one. But auto sound is not their arena. Take the top off, hit the trails, and enjoy it for what it is.

·
Registered
962 Posts
As a former Wrangler owner I can tell you that any, and I mean ANY, sound deadener you apply is a waste of money.

Sound quality? You must be joking. No good location for drivers, seating position, lack of sound deadening, open top, tire noise, engine noise, transmission noise. The best you can hope for is LOUD. Blaring loud.

You"ll have the same problem I had: I could drive down the street with the volume at full tilt and people on the sidewalk would say "Damn that's loud as hell" and meanwhile I was driving, thinking to myself "Man, I can't hear shit over this wind and tire noise."

On the other hand I think my best investment was a Bestop Sailcloth top. With the top up the noise was at least "tolerable"

Don't get me wrong, I love Jeeps. In fact I'm looking for another one. But auto sound is not their arena. Take the top off, hit the trails, and enjoy it for what it is.

Agreed 100% percent, but you could always try to rewrite the book...:)

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Well, I will say this...

A few years back I rode in a co-workers new Rubicon. It had been years since I rode in a Jeep. Well.....I found it to be the most noisy, bumpy, bouncy ride that I have ever had in a modern car, suv, cuv, truck, van, etc. The noise from the tires was just ridiculous. We were damn near shouting during a conversation. I don't see how anyone would want to drive one everyday?

I would not put too much time and money in the project....just drop something in over the weekend and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Dang, that nice jeep pic makes me miss my trail rig, but it was enclosed.......... :)

That's not my trash in the second pic, just so you know. LOL

Regarding the jeep though, I used to have a CJ7 that basically had some small coax locations up front, and that was it. Put in a new head unit, new coax, and some pioneer surface mount 3 way boxed speakers and mounted them to the rear wheel wells............. and boy was that heaven............. LOL But that was high end for a jeep back in 1985. LOL

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had a '98 TJ, and chances are yours will have the heavier duty sailcloth top W8 was referring to. Jeep put them on standard at some point after '98. I can say for sure that once I got the sailcloth installed, it made a huge difference in noise. It'd be worth looking into.

Instead of sound deadener, I'd look into rhino-lining the entire interior. That will help block more road noise, is more durable, custom color if you ditch the carpet, but still fine if you leave the carpet in too.

I had the same goal when I had my Jeep: Hear the music clearly and enjoy it at 70mph. Sadly, I never got there, but I didn't have as much knowledge as I do now, and I also know a single ported 10 doesn't give you enough. I had two 10's at one point sealed, but would say they weren't implemented well. I also simpley replaced the stock speakers with Infinity kappas... talk about bright as can be with speakers right by your head...

Honestly, I'd like to see you put enough into it to make it loud enough to enjoy and keep it relatively clean, but honestly, you might want to just go for loud enough and enjoy reviewing some of the cheaper equipment that most pass over the first time :)

That was the one vehicle I wanted to learn to weld so I could fab something up to hide and secure some fun audio... like a false floor under the rear seat, but instead of raising the seat, lower the tub underneath... (there's room after a body lift and a little fab work with the gas tank mounts.)

ok, i'll shut up... i think it'd be a fun project considering you don't have to worry about keeping it too clean... you wouldn't hear the difference. But definitely PLAN for the system with the top down... good luck!!

·
The Anti-Rice
2,525 Posts
....invest in a nice pair of headphones and call it a day?

·
Registered
778 Posts
sure, your not gonna be winning any big competitions with it, but you can make it sound damn good, especially in a tj.

Obviously, you know how to sound deaden, but one of the most important areas are the kick panels and doors. Hopefully you have the full doors, that will help tremendously.

I can send you some pictures if you'd like of different setups I have done that sounded very good.

In fact, at two local competitions, judges scored my vehicle, and I would have placed in the lower classes, but I was disqualified for an open vehicle. (forgot to bring the top).

Make sure to ditch the soundbar, and the dash speakers.

Or, just send your jeep up my way, and we can do it any way you would like, including off road setups...;)

That one has now won every local offroad competition it has been in, making it 5/5. 3/3 in rock climbing..

·
Registered
166 Posts
that's an idea, actually... if you don't plan to remove the doors when you take the top down, then you could deaden the doors and set them up to hold speakers. They would definitely hold something more than 4x6's up front...

·
Registered
778 Posts
that's an idea, actually... if you don't plan to remove the doors when you take the top down, then you could deaden the doors and set them up to hold speakers. They would definitely hold something more than 4x6's up front...

don't do doors...you'll eventually want to remove them...

Kick panels are wonderful locations, and VERY easy to work with in a wrangler...

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
I wouldn't say that you can't have SQ in a Wrangler. But I will say that if you do have it, then the Wrangler will not longer be able to do what it was designed to do. (Go off road!!)

Back in the late 90's I had the pleasure of being around an INCREDIBLE SQ Wrangler. The owner competed in IASCA SQ comps back then. It had a hard top on it to start. Here's the list of gear from what I remember:
6 JL 15W6's in a custom 2 tier fiberglass box running off of a HiFonics Colossus VIII
a pair of JL 8" midbasses in the floors under the floor mats running off of a Thor VIII
then he was running a pair of 5.25" mids in each kick off one half off of an Olympus VIII and the other half was powering the tweets.

I can't remember what kind of midranges or tweets it was running or what kind of hu it was. But I do remember it sounding incredible. The install was done by a guy named Jim. I can't remember his last name, but from the early 90's until about 2000 he ran a killer shop in Charlotte, NC and was a HUGE Phoenix Gold dealer. He's the guy that originally got me away from being a bass head and showed me just how great SQ was.

Take all of that blabbering for what you will Ant. But at least you know that it is 100% possible to use a Wrangler as an SQ rig. But IMHO, you take all the fun out of owning a Wrangler if you do so.

Zach

·
Registered
654 Posts
I think horn loaded compression drivers are a necessity here....

Dual midbass drivers up front would be nice...

And a few subs...

·
Registered
516 Posts
Image Dynamics XS Components??

Just a smple door install should do, and throw a couple IDQ12s in the back and call it good. Those speakers a good and loud, and they're a simple and easy mounting job due to the smaller magnet and the fact that you can coaxially mount the tweeter.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Another thing that I didn't mention is that you probably don't want to spend to much on a system because at least part of it will get stolen. Top off, you go to home depot for 5 minutes come back and your shit is gone. Happened to me:mad: I am trying to come up with a way to put metal bars around my sub enclosure and lock it.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Another thing that I didn't mention is that you probably don't want to spend to much on a system because at least part of it will get stolen. Top off, you go to home depot for 5 minutes come back and your shit is gone. Happened to me:mad: I am trying to come up with a way to put metal bars around my sub enclosure and lock it.

bandpass box with lag bolts holding it to the body works just fine, recessed amps using heavy mdf on the back of the bandpass also helps.

and make sure to invest in a prox alarm.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts