DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right guys I'm finally going to do an sq setup and need some advice. For starters, my car is an 08 Pontiac G8 GT. I have to use the factory h/u because it has the HVAC controls integrated. The stock system consists of components up front (mids in door and tweets in dash firing up), a center channel in the dash, coaxes in the rear doors, and a pair of 8's in the rear deck. My thoughts for a good setup are: 3-way frontstage (6.5" in door, 4" in either kick panel or a-pillar, and tweet in either a-pillar or custom dash pod), 8's on the rear deck for midbass, and a single 12 in the trunk. The car has a pass-through in the back seat (11"X16"). Would it be better to fire the sub forward through this opening, sealing it off from the trunk, or firing it to the rear of the sub?

Thanks in advance. And yes I have searched, and I have seen the thread in the build log of the guy doing a setup in an 09 G8 GT, but it doesn't answer my specific questions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Space isn't an issue. I just want to set it up for the best sound. If I drop the 8's, I could always use their mounting areas to vent the box into the cabin. Also, an 8 won't fit in the door, without some serious modifying.

·
Registered
991 Posts
What do you plan to use for the OE HU interface?

Are you planning on using Time Alignment at all? EQ?

Rear midbass is like going to a concert & expecting to see Tower/Amp-stacks behind you at an amphitheater... not happening... REAR speakers in a car are for a reason... not to get more midbass....

Modifying the doors for an 8" or a 7" midbass should be a mandatory thing, unless you plan on a SERIOUS 6.5" midbass....there aren't many... & the ones that are... well they will require mods too... might as well step up as far as you can if you haev to mod anyway....

I think maybe a slight pulling in the reigns is in order & the more important questions need to be asked..

1.) what are your goals? Competition? Just to enjoy it yourself? Impress the passenger? Impress the car next to you? Don't get me wrong... All are equally legit goals... just be honest with yourself/installer... so you don't waste money.

2.) Do you really understand the limitations of the OE HU as related to question #1?

3.) Who IS doing the install?

4.) What level of additional sound deadening/sealing are you willing/budgeting for the project, specifically the doors, for additional midbass response?

5.) What look are you going for? Stealth? Highlighted? Stealth pillars with a 4" + a Tweeter is like a Crossdresser in a short skirt, at the airport, going through the metal detector with piercings, god only knows where... LOL... Sorry... I know that's a visual that will hurt for awhile... but its true... Even the smallest of 3" domes & a tweet are a LARGE pillar pod... Just be honest with yourself..... what do you REALLY want from the system...

I know from my experience with customers & fellow Forum members, what they "want" and what is "practical" are vastly different things... My wife doesn't like anything she can see... So I use her as a gauge for my installs... if she can sit & "see" something... I failed.

I have fought what is "supposed to be the way" & what I found sounds best to me... My last 3 daily driver's have been 2-way front (active) & a sub set ups... 6.5" + a deep reaching Tweeter (2.5-3k). Hell my current set up is just that..

Sorry for the long post with no hard answers... Just helping you think about where you WANT to be & HOW to get there....

Rob

ps... if you plan to compete... than you need to decide if you are going to take the "easy" route & do a 1 seat wonder or do the "real man's" way & make it play nice for both front seat passengers.... LOL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rob, thanks for the input/criticism. I'll try to answer your questions as best as possible:

As for OE interface, I currently have an Audio Control LC-8. However, I doubt this will fit my needs so I'm considering either an RF 3sixty.2 or Audio Control DQL-8.

Gotcha on the rear midbass. What if I used the 8's for bass response from 50-100 hz and the sub 50 hz and below? I'm guessing this still wouldn't be ideal, but just thought about it while typing.

The reason for the 6.5 3-way setup is I'm getting sponsored by a manufacturer and they have a new set of components coming out and want me to use them (6.5, 4 & tweet).

Now for the other questions:

1. This will be set up for competition. However, my car is a daily driver so listening pleasure will be taken into consideration.

2. I've only had the car a short time, so I'm still trying to determine the limits on the h/u.

3. I'll be doing the install.

4. I will be deadening the doors/trunk, and other parts of the car.

5. My original plan was for a more stealthy install, but obviously putting 4's in the a-pillar negates that idea. I'm definitely willing to adjust as necessary. Copy on the visual too (haha).

I want the system to sound good for both front seats (aka "real man's" way).

I appreciate your advice and hope to talk to you about this more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.