DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since moving to northern california, i have to say the spectrum of cars that i get to work on changed quite a bit from back east...mostly imports and very few trucks and suvs. Once in a while though, we do get something pretty unique, and this is just such a car.

a 1999 bmw z3m coupe, a car that perhaps is controversial in design, but i truly admire. this particular model came in a color i have never seen before, and according to the owner, is extremely rare. So it would really neat to finally be able to work on one.

the goals:

1. achieve a nice level of sound quality

2. maintain a low key appearance in the interior and retain as much cargo space as possible

3. offer a good amount of low end bass to suit the listening tastes of the owner

the last two requirements in conjunction was a slight challenge as the car is not what you call, spacious :)

lets get started, first, the car itself, its a pastel green color, i forgot what it was called, but very cool in person:

the audio signal starts with a pioneer 8700bh headunit installed in the stock location:

jesse wired up the harness accordingly:

for the front stage, we chose a set of elate 5.25" components, as they fit in the stock location and offers great midbass performace for a 5.25" speaker. jesse fully sound proofed the stock kick panel mounting area with blackhole tiles and stp CLD damper, and installed the morel midbass:

he also fully treated the kick panel covers with CLD and foam to decouple it rom the metal surface:

the morel elate tweeters were molded into the A pillars, and wrapped i black vinyl:

here are some build pics of the pillars...first jesse stripped the pillars, and i aimed the rings and attached them to the pillars:

next, mold cloth was pulled, resin applied, allowed to cure, and then the pods were reinforced from the inside via a resin/filler mixture:

then a few layers of filler and sanding, and we have a smooth blended in shape:

whcih was then wrapped in vinyl:

and the morel tweeters installed:

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
thats pretty much it on the interior...moving onto the trunk. as mentioned, the customer wanted a decent amount of bass but still retain as much stealthiness and cargo space as possible, so here is what we came up with.

here is the normal view with the cargo cover extended:

slide in the cover, and the only thing you see is a corner fiberglass enclosure housing a single arc audio black series 10: sub. the enclosure is wrapped in factory matching black vinyl and for a sub of this size, takes up very little room:

here are some build pics of the subbox by jesse.

first the entire area was masked off, and jesse built a small bottom plate out of mdf, he actually also built a mdf platform below that board so the subbox can bolt into and secured:

then 6 layers of fiberglass mat was laid down:

when that cured, it was pulled from the car, and trimmed to the desired shape:

then jesse fabricated the front mount baffles:

then he attached the baffle to the back mold, pulled cloth, applied resin and 5 layers of glass. but forgot to take a pic :)

then its several layers of filler with sanding, backfilling the gaps, and we end up with a nice smooth enclosure like this:

i then wrapped the enclosure with black vinyl

jesse also fabricated the breathable grille:

meanwhile, the amps and the dsp were located in the factory amp and enclosure space right behind the seats...here is what it looks like with the factory cover pulled off:

an arc audio xdiv2 600.4 sends 4x150 watts upfront, while a 1100.1 powers the sub with over a kilowatt, quite the power pack for such a small car :)

the arc amps sandwiches the stock amp mounting bracket, while a mosconi 4to6spdif dsp sits on the driver side with a custom mounting baffle:

some quick builds pics of the racks, first, i fabricated these three boards for the various components, and painted all of them black:

then, the two amp boards were attached to the factory amp mounting bracket, and two distribution blocks also secured on the two sides of the bracket:

then the amps were secured in place, and wired up:

then this board for the dsp was basically bolted into the car using all stock mounting points and hardware:

and finally, to prevent rattles, jesse fully sound proofed the covering panels and the rear hatch cover with CLD and a lot of foam

so thats it. the car sounds great for such a small interior. imaging is nice and high, halfway between the dash and windshield with surprisingly good width and depth. tonally the morel elate is of course really good, smooth, natural yet able to dish out some midbass.

the sub can get VERY loud, with so much power and travel, the arc black 10 can really ruffle your car and give things a good shaking.

though this isnt an overly complex install by our standards, i am pretty pleased to be able to work on this unique car and make the owners driving experience more enjoyable :)

until next time, cheers! :)

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
I like the simple too the point build that you guys do. Nothing over the top and something that will still sound clear and meet the customer's expectations. :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
My buddy just picked one of these up, I am trying to talk him into putting something as beautiful as this in there. I even offered to donate the equipment but noooooooo. That looks amazing as usual.

Ryan

·
Registered
61 Posts
Always thought those cars were ugly as heck... so oddly shaped. Way to bring some beauty to it though. Thank you for sharing, alot of your threads give me some great ideas!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Nice clean build! And it is that crazy green/teal color. LOL!

I think I asked this before in another thread, but where did those flush tweeter mounting cups/rings come from? Every Morel set I look at is the egg shaped flush mount which looks pretty hideous. I want a round set like those!

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I've got a soft spot for those m coupes, nice work! good equipment choices too, been mightily impressed with the arc black series 10s

·
Registered
133 Posts
I love the way you have integrated the amps and dsp into the stock space. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Nice example of "using what's already there" on that amp rack.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts