DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am looking for some suggestions on getting a SQ speaker amp. My budget is around $250. There are so many amps out there, I wasn't really sure where to start. I don't have too much of a preference on new vs. used.

The amp will be powering just one pair of components for the front right now. I am hanging between the HAT Imagines or Focal Polyglass 165VB's. Any suggestions on those would also be appreciated.
:rolleyes:

·
DIYMA lurker
802 Posts
I would steer you toward getting an amp that was made within the last 10 years (or is virtually NIB) simply for durability. Electronics don't last forever, and car audio amps are no exception. That said, the Eclipse EA series originally sold for about $200 early in the early 2000's and should be a high quality SQ solution for around $100 or less now. For a 4-channel, look for an EA3422 in good condition.

Spend the money you save on speakers, but I don't recommend the HATs. I have a pair of L6s in my doors and I have been trying and trying and trying to tune them and I just can't get them "there." I don't think they have the magic as advertised, especially for the price.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Spend the money you save on speakers, but I don't recommend the HATs. I have a pair of L6s in my doors and I have been trying and trying and trying to tune them and I just can't get them "there." I don't think they have the magic as advertised, especially for the price.
I dont' know about the L6s, never heard them, but they are very pricy, so would expect something spectacular out of them. However I'm running Imagine I61-2s all around and for the price (paid $350 total for all 4) and for that price, they are pretty sweet. Or at least they got to be sweet after about a month of breakin time and me installing a sound processor (just the cheap-o Alpine 100). Just don't mount your door tweeters coaxially - your ankles don't have ears - mount them component style and make sure they are high up - either in the dash or A pillar or at the very least, high up in the doors.

I'm powering them with a JL HD 600/4. It is over your budget - got mine very lightly used, again, for $350 (this seems to be the magical number for all my components - got my JL HD 750/1 for the same price) - but man, I <3 <3 <3 that amp.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys....how about a Focal Solid 2? I guess I only really need a 2 channel amp right now, since I am planning on skipping rear fill.

·
DIYMA lurker
802 Posts
It's the "for now" part that's the catch. You can bridge a 4-channel down to 2, and many people do, but you can't split a 2-channel into 4 without running parallel and giving up your ability to fade, time align, mute, etc.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just switched over to a set of JBL GTO1004 four channel amps, and loving them great SQ , headroom and very verisitble. Like someone else said, you can allways run it as a two channel for now, and switch it around when ready. I have one extra one that I'd be willing to get rid of if interested hit me up. 562-313-0713 or email me for more info. My buddy has a few oldschool H/K and Infinity amps that are awsome also.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I'll check out those amps. Does anyone happen to have a Zapco Reference amp they'd like to get rid of? I heard they're supposed to be pretty amazing. I know it might fall a bit past my price range, but maybe it's worth it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts