DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Generally speaking if we all had to look at the industry 2020 product lineup that is available in the which companies make SQ subs that are reliable and where the dealers, distributors and possibly manufactures won’t bend you over when it comes to availability and warranting? Plus under the $500/sub.

So far I can only think of the following:

Morel Primo
Arc Audio
Helix
Image Dynamics

Any others am I missing out in the $500 or less per sub. Pricing is on retail and not used.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Just about any sub can be an “SQ sub” if it’s in a proper box. Subs are far more forgiving than high frequency speakers, displacement is king. We barely hear distortion in low frequencies, and a lot of the distortion we do hear simply makes the sub sound louder.

Pick the sub that models best off of the power you intend to use, and the enclosure size/type you intend to use.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I am not sure if I am truly doing this correctly but I am looking at how much space I want to sacrifice and then look at which subwoofer can fit in that amount of space first whether it be sealed or ported

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Well I am not sure if I am truly doing this correctly but I am looking at how much space I want to sacrifice and then look at which subwoofer can fit in that amount of space first whether it be sealed or ported

That’s how I recommend you start. Determine how much space you are willing to sacrifice, figure out rough internal volume based on that, then decide what type of enclosure you want to use. With those things figured out you can use WinISD to see which sub works best with what you’re working with.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True and go from there. As far as power wise I would like to stay around the 500 -900 watts rms power range

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
True and go from there. As far as power wise I would like to stay around the 500 -900 watts rms power range

That’ll be something you can plug into WinISD and see which sub performs better with the power you are using. That much power can be more than enough with the right sub/enclosure combo.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So in the WinISD I just put the measurements and it will tell me how much cu foot and see which subwoofer enclosure can work in that enclosure

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
So in the WinISD I just put the measurements and it will tell me how much cu foot and see which subwoofer enclosure can work in that enclosure

You put in the speaker’s TS parameters, and it calculates the “ideal” enclosure. From there you can adjust the box volume, tuning frequency, available power, etc. and see how your setup works for each sub.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't forget Dayton Audio HO and HF series of subs. Affordable quality in my mind.
I heard people talk about them at Spring Break Nationals years ago. One of the gentleman in the conversation group mentioned they are made by Fi Audio but not sure how correct his statement was.

Also if I am not mistaken one of my friends had one years ago and liked it. My concern with those subs is that the weight factor since I will be taking the enclosure out when I take my mom shopping to Costco twice a month.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I’m also shopping for a sub $500 SQ sub right now. The Dayton HO and Ultamax are on my shortlist. they have low LE, multiple shorting rings, high xmax for a great price

Reactions: SNCTMPL

·
Registered
108 Posts
Gijoe has helped me many times the last number of months. I too was looking for a sub that played tight, clean, etc. that could handle some classic rock, jazz, etc. but still able to get down and dirty if needed. I was also looking at an IDQ when my installer told me he had a pretty mint Eclipse Aluminum 88100 DVC built back in the day by TC Sounds. Being out of the scene since the 90’s I thought there was no way an almost 20 year old sub even in excellent condition would fit the bill. Wow, was I wrong! Granted, the sealed box I have it in currently is a bit too small as I lose that low end extension (it’s there but not as pronounced) but it definitely fits the SQ definition while certainly able to get rowdy while always maintaining its composure. He’s building a custom 1.125 sealed box for me now which should make the sub a bit happier. Excuse my rant but my point was there’s some subs out there that I never would’ve thought about that are excellent. I consider myself fortunate that he happened to have this gem sitting around looking for a new home.

Edit: the current sealed box is currently .67 and .58 net with sub.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Gijoe has helped me many times the last number of months. I too was looking for a sub that played tight, clean, etc. that could handle some classic rock, jazz, etc. but still able to get down and dirty if needed. I was also looking at an IDQ when my installer told me he had a pretty mint Eclipse Aluminum 88100 DVC built back in the day by TC Sounds. Being out of the scene since the 90’s I thought there was no way an almost 20 year old sub even in excellent condition would fit the bill. Wow, was I wrong! Granted, the sealed box I have it in currently is a bit too small as I lose that low end extension (it’s there but not as pronounced) but it definitely fits the SQ definition while certainly able to get rowdy while always maintaining its composure. He’s building a custom 1.125 sealed box for me now which should make the sub a bit happier. Excuse my rant but my point was there’s some subs out there that I never would’ve thought about that are excellent. I consider myself fortunate that he happened to have this gem sitting around looking for a new home.

That is awesome, some designs stand the test of time. My dynaudio mids are 10+ years old and are as good or better than any others i have tried.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Exactly cman. Some gear, no matter how old it may be just works. Admittedly, without my installer showing me the Eclipse and it’s details, “story” I wouldn’t have given it a second look but I’m glad he took the time. If it’s quality and does what it’s supposed to age doesn’t matter. Very happy with that single 10”. Glad to hear you have something similar!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Edit: the current sealed box is currently .67 and .58 net with sub.
I sat in a vehicle with Eclipse subs mind you it was a vehicle tuned for IASCA SQ completion lanes. He had a pair of 12’s sealed and when I heard it had hardly any output but after the fact I learned those guys that compete are anal about having their midbass playing below 80 hertz so I did not get to truly hear the subwoofer playing like 80 hertz and below. If I am not mistaken the gentleman had it crossed it way low.

Plus most installers in Orlando won’t install Eclipse subwoofers since Eclipse closed down or they using that to make me buy a subwoofer that I don’t want.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Dayton aren’t made by fi... they use a stock 4 or 16 spoke basket and are a huge commercial entity, they are likely Chinese made I would think

My Dayton RSS390HF is an awesome piece of kit, hits the lows really well, with incredible accuracy! It’s fair to say it’s likely the best sub I’ve ever had, low inductance vs 99% of fifteens and can doubtless take well in excess of the power I am giving it (500wrms) it needs a larger than average enclosure, but it’s the good old iron law...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Dayton aren’t made by fi... they use a stock 4 or 16 spoke basket and are a huge commercial entity, they are likely Chinese made I would think

My Dayton RSS390HF is an awesome piece of kit, hits the lows really well, with incredible accuracy! It’s fair to say it’s likely the best sub I’ve ever had, low inductance vs 99% of fifteens and can doubtless take well in excess of the power I am giving it (500wrms) it needs a larger than average enclosure, but it’s the good old iron law...
Nice, I want the HF but would have to go with the HO dual 4 (in parallel) due to amp impedance. Or I could get two HF’s like I want and swap my amp for a 2 ohm stable instead of 1 ohm... lol.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts