DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Can you please advise me which subwoofer is better in an sq setup? i have two options

and

The jbl one is in paper cone. My box is sealed 1 cubic

Thanks in advance !

· Registered
1,960 Posts
Are you limited to a 1 cu ft sealed box ? I've never built, or a heard a sealed sub box that I was happy with. With the 3 that I built, I think none stayed in my vehicle more than a week or two. Honestly, if I just couldn't make more than 1 cube of space (like in my Prius, Uber car) I'd just run a nice, strong 8" sub (like I did with my Sundown Audio 8") That little thing sounds fantastic, and takes up SO little space :) .7 cubes net, probably about 1 cube OD. Oh, and it is definitely a SQ sub, vs. a loud sub. That little thing digs so deep its ridiculous :)

· Premium Member
7,703 Posts

· Registered
1,960 Posts
@Fish Chris 2

Does different sizes and dimensions makes any difference in a sealed enclosure?
Well the cubic footage definitely makes a difference, but dimensions make very little difference.
My little ported box for the 8" sub that I mentioned, is very long and skinny, so that it would tuck right in behind my back seats in my Prius, leaving max luggage space for my Uber driving. Most times I don't even think passengers notice it when I / they are loading their luggage back there. The port comes off of the right end. It was like 3" by 20" if I remember correctly... Tuned to 35hz.

Btw, the motor on that little 8" is so massive, that it would have actually hit the back of the inside of the box. So I chiseled out a little divet where the motor would hit, just to give it enough clearance 🙂👍

· Registered
611 Posts
You can go about 10-15% larger, or 1.10-1.15 cuft with these.

Unlike the box Fish built, you will need to leave at least 2" clearance behind this sub, as it has a huge vent in the magnet to keep it cool.

FYI, that's an excellent sub. I had its older cousin, the 1200GTI 1000W back in the day.

EDIT: If you're still wondering, you can contact Harman (JBL) tech support. They have always been very helpful when I had any questions on JBL or Infinity speakers.

-old'scool

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.