DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The base truck is a 07 Supercharged Tundra DC.

It is my intent to have no china made items in the stereo.

Source unit: OEM radio/PC/ custom multi-aux input switcher
Front stage: Dynaudio Esotec 222
Front stage amps: (2X- 1 Mono each side) Sony XES M50
Sub: Morel Ultimo 10
Sub amp: Audison LRx 1.1K (Considering going to the 1.2K and second Ultimo 10)
Processors: Audison Bit 10D
Video/nav: Alpine (*Made in china, no choice for vid/nav). Also will be installing backup cam & connecting to PC for vids.

I am taking this build slow so bare with me.

-ALSO NOTE THIS IS MY WORK TRUCK AND I SWAP VEHICLES EVERY FEW YEARS SO IT IS MY INTENT TO BE MINIMALLY INVASIVE! (*Others may also find this useful for lease or peeps like me who will pull equipment and for the next vehicle and dont want to leave too many scars). I am also making many of the items to coincide with the working aspect of the vehicle. My other driver is a BMW and may do a really nice install with that....but this is a work truck that I beat the **** out of daily.

~JH

Comments....suggestions???

~JH

·
Registered
114 Posts
In for this build. I have an 08 dc as well, man what I would do to have a supercharged on mine! How do you plan on implementing that ultimo 10?

·
Banned
60 Posts
Well I hear the Germans do make some great audio! Love the concept of not using China made products, might have to re-do my plans for my Chevy rebuild. all American, is it even possible?

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Agreed!!! Its a hard reality to overcome, but at least he is attempting this! And by doing so he will obviously end up with great gear!!!
No doubt, he has some very nice audio grear.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Truth be known I understand the fact that many companies use china made stuff and barely skirt by the 51% rule or lie...its the ATTEMPT if nothing else. I can not (will not) do research to determine the percent of origin build...but if it says made in (other then china) I am taking it as face value.

def go with your gut and snatch up a 1.2k...I love mine! you wont regret
Done....(BTW: my wallet says f-you! LOL)
A second Morel Ultimo 10 and Audison 1.2K has been ordered. THis should put 1500(ish) watts to each 10 at 1 ohm.
I am feeling better about this choice....the 1.1K will only give 1 sub (2ohm) 800 watts. These Ultimos are 6db less efficient then the SC version. That thought alone was killing me. THe new stuff should be here in a week.

Also....I have developed a repore with a local shop.....I am now getting prices better then online....and when I told him I wanted to give back the 1.1 and get a 1.2 there was none of the returning/restocking BS you would get from online places.

I will not tell the dealership name but I was able to purchace the 1.2K for 1600$. Very happy with the service AND price. Typically I would expect to pay more for a local shop....you can guess I am happy as **** about the price.

In for this build. I have an 08 dc as well, man what I would do to have a supercharged on mine! How do you plan on implementing that ultimo 10?
I own a few Tundras, when I get in a non SC it kills me! Nothing better then kicking the crap out of a mustang, wrx sti or other 'fast' vehicles with a 5K pound truck!

Truth is now with the other sub I dont know....I need to get it some thought!

In the shop with the amp to figure out how and where the amps are going go. This thing is surprisingly heavy (and big) for 400 watts! Because these amps are new and never played I was considering just hanging on to them....but why the hell not just use them!

Thanks for the nice comments......

~JH

·
Registered
114 Posts
I own a few Tundras, when I get in a non SC it kills me! Nothing better then kicking the crap out of a mustang, wrx sti or other 'fast' vehicles with a 5K pound truck!

Truth is now with the other sub I dont know....I need to get it some thought!
Night and day difference between SC and non i'm assuming. Those cars won't even suspect anything until they hear that SC whine haha.

Very nice gear you have for your install. You should be able to fit those amps on the back wall of the truck.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
These Magnuson/Eaton superchargers are roots type and are surprisingly quiet. I have done a 8% overdrive to increase boost a bit and modded the airbox to try and make the whine more noticeable but it is still pretty quiet. One cool thing is I get about 3-4 MPG better on the highway with the SC if I stay out of it (*Ok, doesnt save $ because you have to use premium). oh....and there is no comparison, crazy hp/tq, doesnt affect daily driving ability and is fun as all get out. If you are considering...DO IT!!!! Only real drawback is for some reason I need to replace my rear tires every 15K.

You should be able to fit those amps on the back wall of the truck.
Behind the seat is a last resort. I often have crap on my back seat (tools and whatnot) so it would be a huge pain to access them. I am want to put them under the rear seat on a motorized rack that slides from under the seat. There is currently a goofy OEM 'JBL' 8" and amp so where they are gone there should be a fair amount of room.

~JH

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I like your ideas of staying away from China stuff. It's almost impossible to do but at least you can minimize it.

The one thing I don't get is how the blower can increase gas mileage. You're running no boost during cruise and though the blower is likely in bypass mode you're still spinning the rotors, taking a couple hp to spin. I can understand a little boost raising the dynamic compression ratio a little. Or maybe it's the fact that you're generally at a lower rpm for a given acceleration but cruising down the freeway is the part that's hard to understand.

Is there any sort of intercooler/aftercooler for it (I know it's hard to implement on a roots), or maybe methanol injection? It looks nice.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The one thing I don't get is how the blower can increase gas mileage. You're running no boost during cruise and though the blower is likely in bypass mode you're still spinning the rotors, taking a couple hp to spin. I can understand a little boost raising the dynamic compression ratio a little. Or maybe it's the fact that you're generally at a lower rpm for a given acceleration but cruising down the freeway is the part that's hard to understand.

Is there any sort of intercooler/aftercooler for it (I know it's hard to implement on a roots), or maybe methanol injection? It looks nice.
Liquid to air intercooler, increased heat exchanger and higher flow pump to prevent heat soak.

Truth is I am not 100% sure why. You are correct that it is a bypass SC but I do know it makes some boost at cruise. I always thought it had to do something with TPS % and the amount of HP needed to drive at (X) speed. Because the motor is making more HP it requires less TPS % OR improved AFR (*or combo).

NOTE: I wrote above and then found this on the Magnuson site:

Will a supercharger kill my fuel economy? That depends on how you drive. Many customers see an increase in their fuel economy with the supercharger. With the Radix system for example, a 2 to 3 m.p.g. increase is not unusual. The supercharger actually reduces the pumping loss of the engine. This loss is vacuum force required to actually pull the air/fuel into the cylinder. The supercharger equalizes all the cylinders and actually helps to 'push' the piston down to the bottom of the intake stroke, increasing engine efficiency. The problem with most owners of supercharged vehicles is that the "fun factor" goes through the roof, and it's hard to keep your foot off the mat!

·
4,981 Posts
hey, roughly what kind of HP and torque numbers do you get out of this setup?

i am thinking maybe my next vehicle will be a toyota truck of some kind...but worried i would miss the acceleration of my current car...

·
Registered
114 Posts
These Magnuson/Eaton superchargers are roots type and are surprisingly quiet. I have done a 8% overdrive to increase boost a bit and modded the airbox to try and make the whine more noticeable but it is still pretty quiet. One cool thing is I get about 3-4 MPG better on the highway with the SC if I stay out of it (*Ok, doesnt save $ because you have to use premium). oh....and there is no comparison, crazy hp/tq, doesnt affect daily driving ability and is fun as all get out. If you are considering...DO IT!!!! Only real drawback is for some reason I need to replace my rear tires every 15K.

Behind the seat is a last resort. I often have crap on my back seat (tools and whatnot) so it would be a huge pain to access them. I am want to put them under the rear seat on a motorized rack that slides from under the seat. There is currently a goofy OEM 'JBL' 8" and amp so where they are gone there should be a fair amount of room.

~JH
That is just a sexy picture! I've been considering it for the last year! Wish I would have known they had the supercharger available when I first purchased the truck, then I would've added that on to the total price when signing the papers for it. Only thing holding me back is the $7000 spent going into it :eek:.

A motorized rack under the seat would be awesome. There definitely is a good amount of space under the seat. Where is your sub currently located at now?

·
Registered
114 Posts

i am thinking maybe my next vehicle will be a toyota truck of some kind...but worried i would miss the acceleration of my current car...
Stock 5.7 L V8 puts out 381 hp/401lb-ft of torque, with the supercharger it goes up to 504 hp/ 550lb-ft. With the stock tires and rims I had quite nice acceleration, it'll definitely go when you get on it. I did lose that low end pep though when switching to 33" m/t tires and larger rims.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts

I think you have a Tl, right? Stock for stock, acceleration is pretty close.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts