DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lately ive been thinking about changing my speakers out for something cheaper

the reason for this is that I really like the scans when the car motor is off, but when driving most of the nice sound isnt much different from the previous systems I've owned which have cost alot less, such as my previous founteks and SB drivers etc

I have nothing against scanspeak or other higher end drivers, they are one of my favourite speakers, and I now have scanspeak drivers for my home systems

its been bugging me, as road noise, engine noise, when I turn the AC on, wind noise just in general I don't enjoy them as much.
it might also be because im concentrating while driving rather than listening to the finer details of music

Note: I mainly listen to my system when driving to work, I dont bother sitting in the car otherwise :laugh:

whats your opinion on this?

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
My opinion is that car audio is a complete waste of time, money, and effort compared to home audio. If you can't reasonably control your listening environment, you've already lost the battle.

Don't get me wrong, I find car audio both annoying and fun. Going further, I will more than likely install a sound system in my 2012 WRX. I just learned to live with the constraints of the environment that I chose to install the audio gear in while dismissing the load of marketing BS that many of the overpriced gear marketers constantly push to everyone.

Lastly, I'm all for great sound on a budget. :D

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You have presets available on the H701..
Just have a "driving" preset with added midbass and subbass and a "quiet listening" preset without the "emphasis" on those bands.
Easy..

Mark
I think thats the h800 that can do that
although Im sure its possible to manually do this for the h701

i'd have to make one for when In I turn on AC and lower my windows :D
there isnt one for concentration? or do I just boost a 2khz or something to get me concentrating on music hehe :D

I suppose the point of it is, the differences with higher end speakers isnt really worth the difference in price when it comes to a daily driver IMO (for me)

all the nice and lovely sound the revelators produce is all going to waste. and I do have a comparison as mentioned in my first post that I have scan revs for my home speakers and.. I just love them

I was curious to see what others think of this

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I do need to address that for sure.

To me it seems like my system is loud and clear in the car (which is great)

but at home I really enjoy listening to all the finer details in music
I get that when the car is dead silent, however I dont think Deadending the car is going to "completely" eliminate that

my other point is that my concentration is also limited due to driving at the same time as listening to music.
its kind of like background music

·
Registered
815 Posts
well I do need to address that for sure.

To me it seems like my system is loud and clear in the car (which is great)

but at home I really enjoy listening to all the finer details in music
I get that when the car is dead silent, however I dont think Deadending the car is going to "completely" eliminate that

my other point is that my concentration is also limited due to driving at the same time as listening to music.
its kind of like background music
Sounds like its all good. Just enjoy what you have.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i've just built some pillars for the 12m's so I dont plan to swap them out too soon :D

I was just referring to cheaper DIY speakers in place of the rev's that can accomplish the same job due to being in an environment like a car

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
You already have the speakers...they are already installed....you already like them, what's the point in taking them out for cheaper ones? Is it just piece of mind or do you need the cash from selling them?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I should of stated in the first post, Im thinking about later using them in some home speakers instead.

Im not really asking for advice, as I do plan to keep them in there until the time is right or when I sell the car etc

I havent had as many systems compared to most of the DIYMA members, however I've progressed from cheaper components to more expensive components including DIY drivers
and I have noticed quite a difference along the way, however with my current system, the differences are very neligable when driving to work compared to my last DIY speaker setup which was much much cheaper.

just a discussion :D

If I was to do it again or start fresh with a new system, I would most likely go back to running cheaper DIY drivers for a daily

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have a total of less than $800 into my build for that very reason. I've found that budget SQL is a better focus of my time and efforts than SQ (for me).

The difference between a good system and a great system is obviously apparent when the car is parked, with a low noise floor. Once you hop onto the freeway at 75mph, the difference becomes much less. I think a combination of the high noise floor, and focusing on the road rather than the intricacies of the music, makes the difference much less apparent. While going at 75mph, chest pounding bass and powerful guitar chords are more enjoyable to me than a well tuned SQ system. Imaging, depth, and all of that jazz is still important, but become less apparent while driving for me. The bass and impact though, remain highly apparent. All IMO.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I should of stated in the first post, Im thinking about later using them in some home speakers instead.

Im not really asking for advice, as I do plan to keep them in there until the time is right or when I sell the car etc
AAAAhhhhh, that makes complete sense now. actually, i have thought that same thing just recently, i hooked up my comps to my surround reciever just because i was getting anxious to hear them again. I almost decided to build enclosures for them and leave them in the house because they sounded so good.

Now that we are on the same page....i understand exactly where you are coming from!

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I know some people are of the mindset that once you start driving the car, all systems sound the same. I don't believe that. For one thing, I can drown out all wind noise even with the windows down at 70mph and I have a system that keeps it's composure at high volumes. IMO, while the difference isn't as great once the car is in motion, there's still a huge difference with the high end gear.

Maybe adding more power and sound deadening is the answer.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
AAAAhhhhh, that makes complete sense now. actually, i have thought that same thing just recently, i hooked up my comps to my surround reciever just because i was getting anxious to hear them again. I almost decided to build enclosures for them and leave them in the house because they sounded so good.

Now that we are on the same page....i understand exactly where you are coming from!
LOL

I recently bought a set of Massive Audio CK6Vs, but they won't fit in my doors, and I can't return them because I broke one of the tweeter mounts (can be fixed to function, but not so as to get my money back). So, they are hooked up to a decetly powered desktop system at the office (160 watts RMS x 2), and leaning against the wall with no enclosures for "work radio."

They actually have a little bass with zero box anywhere near them.

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
LOL

I recently bought a set of Massive Audio CK6Vs, but they won't fit in my doors, and I can't return them because I broke one of the tweeter mounts (can be fixed to function, but not so as to get my money back). So, they are hooked up to a decetly powered desktop system at the office (160 watts RMS x 2), and leaning against the wall with no enclosures for "work radio."

They actually have a little bass with zero box anywhere near them.
Now for a cheap solution, toss them in an open baffle arrangement. Particle board shelving, make a standing L or T, cut holes, install speakers. If you want to be fancy, you can seal and paint them, then tell everyone that you have audiophile grade computer speakers.:D

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Now for a cheap solution, toss them in an open baffle arrangement. Particle board shelving, make a standing L or T, cut holes, install speakers. If you want to be fancy, you can seal and paint them, then tell everyone that you have audiophile grade computer speakers.:D
Haha! I actually modelled them in WinISD Beta last night for the heck of it. If I build a pair of 1 net cube @ 33 hz enclosures, I can seriously get a nice full range response out of some "just kidding" homemade 2 way towers. Maybe a 2 inch aero port each will get the job done.

...Or I could put these in my severely beat up work truck when I get it back up and running. That'll be a good case of sleeper SQ, especially while I'm driving down the road with my non air-conditioned trash wagon, as per this thread... but then I'll want a sub in it...

See what this forum does to people?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts