DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

Typically, the builds you see from us are relatively subdued in terms of pure bass output. with a few exceptions, they feature 1 or 2 subwoofers with 1000 or less watts. But here is an exception to that norm...and a pretty unique vehicle to boot: a 2010 Volvo V50 T5 AWD R-design.

Being a former Volvo nut myself and a one time moderator on volvospeed.com, this project was quite a welcome departure for me.

The goals:

1. achieve a nice level of sound quality with a very solid amount of bass output

2. keep the back cargo area usable and hidden

3. Integrate aftermarket headunit and DSP controller into OEM dash

lets get started, first, a quick shot of the little wagon:

and a obligatory shot of the metal fuse holder bracket under hood housing a stinger:

The first part of the project involves trying to fit an aftermarket headunit and dsp controller into the oem volvo "waterfall" dash. here is a picture of what a stock dash looks like. as you can see, right at the top of the waterfall panel is a oem display for the stock stereo AND the climate controls (among other things), a cd slot is above it, and a center channel speaker located at the top of the dash:

after quite a bit of fabricating, here is what joey came up with.

The oem info display has been relocated to the top of the dash center channel location. A customer supplied alpine 149BT single din unit sits in a new fascia with a mosconi RCD dsp controller located below it. these two units take up the space formerly occupied by the display and headunit cd slot. We had quite a few people come check out the car and none of them was able to tell joey's display relocation was non-oem :D Note the pressed grille on the shroud that aims to further mimic the oem dash grille :)

here are some build pics of those parts...first the oem center channel grille was removed, along with the speaker of course. a mdf replacement was glued together and test fitted in place:

then, a whole bunch of MDF pieces came together to form the basic shape of the new display shroud:

then the pieces were gradually back filled and smoothed out, until they became the nicely rounded shape you see in the finished pics:

then the pieces were primered and sanded down:

the front portion around the display was painted black, while the shroud portion was wrapped in black vinyl. they are bonded together with a series of magnets:

moving onto the trim bezel for the headunit and rcd, first an overlay of the area was done via fiberglass cloth:

once that cured and had some filler put on and rough sanded, joey cut out the two shapes by hand and router:

the two side curved profiles were done by hand on a grinder, and this is the rough shape of the fascia:

then it was basically filler, high build and sand down, until it was perfect enough to paint:

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Re: SQ with an ample dose of bass - 2010 Volvo V50 Build - Focal, Illusion, AM

moving onto the front stage, which consists of a set of Illusion Audio Carbon C6 two way set. the Tweeters were molded into the A pillars, aimed relatively off axis to be as low profile as possible, and the pillars wrapped in dash matching black vinyl:

a few quick shots of the pillar build process.

first, the pillars were sanded down and i aimed and attached the ring baffles:

then mold cloth was pulled across the shape, resin applied, allowed to cure, and then the pods were reinforced from the inside via a duraglass/resin mixture:

then filler went on and both pods were sanded smooth and blended together:

after that, they were wrapped in black vinyl, and the illusion audio carbon tweeters installed:

the illusion audio c6 midbass went into the stock lower door locations. first, the outer skin of the door panel was sound proofed with some blackhole tiles:

next, the inner door panel received a generous dosage of Focal BAM xxxl composite damper:

next, i fabricated two spacer baffles, matched identically to the shape of the oem speakers, and coated them with several layers of truck bedliner to protect them against the elements:

the spacer was then bolted in place using oem hardware and mounting points, and the illusion midbass secured:

the outter door skin recieved its share of STP CLD damper:

the same process was then repeated on the passenger side:

here are some pics of the wiring bundles as they travel from the front of the car to the back. due to how this car's carpet is shaped, these crappy pics are the best i managed to get...:( but they are ziptied and organized every few inches and ziptied to the car at key areas:

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

so thats it for the front part of the car...moving to the hatch cargo area.

So the goal was to get a lot of bass out of her AND maintain some usability. So here is the view normally when you open the hatch. a new fake floor with three large cutouts replace the stock floor. it has been raised by about 2.5" over stock due to the height of the box. The lighting makes the new carpet look a bit different than stock, but it was the closest match we had. Sturdy and hidden:

now the reason why the fake floor does not extend to the sides is due to a customer's requirement that the oem rubber trunk mat be kept. He does a lot of skiing and routinely throws dirty and wet items. The oem floor has those spaces on the side and thus the stock cargo mat has two rubber pockets that extend down on the two sides of the cargo area:

pop those three grilles off and here is what you see. Four Audiomobile GTS 2110 10" subwoofers flank three Focal FPD amplifiers. every thing is trimmed in black vinyl. The front most amp is a 600.4 which powers the illusion audio set with 4x150 watts active. while the two 900.1s at the back powers each bank of GTS10s with 900 watts RMS. Pretty simply and straight forward. :) each pair of subs is in a sealed enclosure of about 1.25 cubic ft.

just incase you are wondering, the two sides of the floor extends down and seals against the floor of the car, so there is no chance of something falling down and some how getting into the amp wiring area:

so yeah, there you go, four 10s and 1800 watts on the subs :) woo woo!

so lets have some build pics of the back.

first, the area was stripped bare, rivet nuts put down at key locations, and the floor sound proofed with STP CLD damper:

these two piece of 3/4" mdf, bolted to the floor using rivet nuts, provides a spacer platform so the two sub enclosures are perfectly flat:

these are the two enclosures with their center support, before and after the to goes on:

the two boxes were then loaded into the car, bolted down, and the power/ground distribution system set up:

next, the mounting board for the amps went on, and the wiring process for the amps started. A mosconi 6ot8v8 dsp controls the entire system, it has been loaded with the AMAS ultra high resolution BT streaming device and the SP-DIF multi digital input board:

here is the main trim panel before and after vinyl, and test fitted in the car:

here the main fake floor piece. which as you can see, actually has sides that extend down to meet the floor. the back is curved down to meet the rear hatch opening height. quite a bit of blackfilling was required to get it to mesh perfectly. here is before and after carpeting:

here are the three vented grilles before and after carpeting:

and finally, a shot of the behind the scenes wiring of the three amps and dsp :)

so thats it...could be one of the louder vehicles that has come out of the SIS name.

the front stage sounds quite nice. center is very clearly defined with great depth. width is pretty much pillar to pillar and height is good at about 3-4 inches above the dash. as usual, the carbon c6 continues to showcase its abilities, providing a very balanced tonality throughout with very nice detail and midbass impact.

the quartet of audiomobile 10s does a great job of ruffling your hair and modulating your voice, however, when turned down to a lower level, it is still able to blend seamlessly with the music on delicate tracks.

overall, a pretty nice sounding car with some good bottom end reinforcement :)

A quick work on these focal FPD amps...wont get into it that much as many others such as JT have been using them long before us. I LOVE the way they look, simple, clean and the lit focal log is a great touch. overall SQ i think is quite nice...i could not tell these were a full range class D amp from listening...are they as powerful and controlled as say a mosconi AS or Zero? probably not, but then again, they were never meant to be. I would put these up against similar sized and priced full range class D amps and i think it would do pretty well. So id say they are a nice classy alternative to the more popular "square" class D amps on the market. The only nitpick i have is that i wish the wiring terminals are a bit bigger...and i hope this is something that can be addressed down the road. I do like the fact that they give you two mounting system, an easier one via mounting feet like i used here, or a bottom plate that allows the amps to be fully butted together side by side with no gaps.

anyway, thats all for now, more to come soon! :)

Cheers,

Bing

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
not bad, id like to loose that heavy rubber/plastic mat over the subs and replace it with some kind of perforated something (yea yea bass is omnidirectional blah blah) let the bass out !!!

and horns :D

just kidding

about the horns

salty :)

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
now the reason why the fake floor does not extend to the sides is due to a customer's requirement that the oem rubber trunk mat be kept. He does a lot of skiing and routinely throws dirty and wet items.

my bad, + 1 for posting b4 reading :D

beautiful job ..

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Nice build guys, like the relocation of the climate display.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Do you have a nickname for Joey yet? I think I'm gonna call him Yoda. That dash looks like the work of a Jedi master. It's impeccable!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Wow!! that dash looks freakin awesome. Great work as usually from you guys. Wish i could afford to have you guys pimp out the new to me Mustang haha

·
Registered
3,747 Posts

moving onto the front stage, which consists of a set of Illusion Audio Carbon C6 two way set. the Tweeters were molded into the A pillars, aimed relatively on axis to be as low profile as possible, and the pillars wrapped in dash matching black vinyl:

Beautiful build and I love the center display piece, but how can those tweeters be said to at at all on axis? They still look to be close to 90 degrees off-axis.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts

Beautiful build and I love the center display piece, but how can those tweeters be said to at at all on axis? They still look to be close to 38 degrees off-axis.
fixored

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

Beautiful build and I love the center display piece, but how can those tweeters be said to at at all on axis? They still look to be close to 90 degrees off-axis.

bwahahhaha, lol sorry, thats what i get for trying to finish a build log after a long days work :) when mind turns to soup and i have no clue what i am writing

of course i meant OFF axis to keep them as slim as possible :)

fixed :)

thanks for finding that one haha

·
Registered
889 Posts
Another excellent install. Very impressive job on the headunit and DSP integration into the dash, I love it. It does look OEM!
A question, when you attach the tweeter rings to the pillar what do you use? CA glue?
And are the rings mdf & what do you use to cut them out.

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another excellent install. Very impressive job on the headunit and DSP integration into the dash, I love it. It does look OEM!
A question, when you attach the tweeter rings to the pillar what do you use? CA glue?
And are the rings mdf & what do you use to cut them out.

CA glue is correct :)

those rings are out of 1/4" mdf, and its two hole saws...joey would use a router and reduce but i am skeered of routing something that small :D

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I've come to expect nothing short of amazing, anytime I open one of your threads.

I've yet to be disappointed.....

That dash is tits! I really like the little arcs on the sides of the DRC. Breaks up the panel and adds a little motion, leading the eye down the dash.
I was so caught up in admiring the integration of the DRC with the HU, that I didn't even notice the relocated climate controls, until scrolling down to the build pics.
It looks that OEM!:)

Ninja style!:D

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Out of curiosity, any pics of the area behind the waterfall, I always thought it would be interesting to do one of these and never have had the chance. Curious what I'd have to work with.

Especially since I saw that one with the double din in it, on FB. lol

Looks awesome, btw.

Jay

1 - 20 of 69 Posts