DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Well i never would have guessed that my first diesel install since moving to california was going to be a compact four door sport saloon. :eek: But...such was the case; just wrapped up a simple SQ install on a 2011 BMW 335D.

Going into the project, i was a bit worried about noise issues, the late model bimmers are very noisy cars electrically, and spit out a ton of interference, the diesel model would only be worse...but, seeing that others have done work on the car and came out okay, i said lets do it :)

This also marks my official relationship with ORCA, using products from from their Mosconi amplifier line up and a unique set of stock replacement speakers for the underseat location...It is also my first install as a Morel dealer...a brand that i have always loved...these two brands you probably will see quite a bit of from me in the future.

Anyway, the goals:

1. maintain a total stock appearance in the interior - all stock locations
2. achieve a clean and stealthy appearance in the trunk while maintaining as much space as possible.
3. obtain a decent level of sound quality given the stock locations.

so lets get started, first a coupla quick shots of the car:

The system utilizes a JBL MS-8 (my ninth one!) for OEM inteface and DSP control, the display is mounted in the glovebox, along with the extension cable for the tuning mic:

As mentioned before, the stock underseat woofers were replaced by a set of drivers from Gladen/Audio Systems. The stock units barely produced any real bass or midbass, and on a recommendation from Ernie at Sound Innovations, i decided to give them a try.

So here are the stock enclosures and drivers, next to the Audio Systems drivers:

The stock woofers were removed and I laid some damper on the interior and exterior of the enclosures:

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a side by side shot of the OEM woofer and the new one...these replacement units dont appear that big, tiny magnet and very light, but Ernie assured me they rock and work great as midbass or light duty subs. Since in this car all they will be asked to do is 70hz to 120hz anyway.

So here are the new drivers mounted in the stock location, perfect fitment using OEM screws:

Next, the enclosures were bolted back into the car, wired up, and the top grille reinstalled...done! :) i wish I had a Staples "That was easy" button for this one.

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rest of the front stage is a set of Morel Hybrid Ovation II 4" component set, the tweeters were mounted in the stock sail location, even the stock foam fits perfectly:

I opened up the stock molex plug and ran two pairs of new speakers wires into each door, for the mid and tweeter:

Adapter rings were fabricated for the Morel Midbass:

and the HOII 4" drivers mounted to them:

Next, the area on the door card around the midrange was covered with damper:

and the Morel mid bolted in place:

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As the car has the base Hi-FI system with no center channel, i installed a Morel Integra Ovation 4" coaxial into the stock center location:

So thats it for the interior, no wiring pics as they are tucked under the deep door sills and i tried taking a pic and nothing would show up :)

so...onto the trunk. As stated, the goal here is to maintain space and remain stealthy. If you remember my 335I install from last year, its a similar idea.

So here is the view with everything covered up, the floor has been rainsed by about 3" to accomodate the equipment, and a fiberglass subbox sits on the driver side. All wrapped in heather trunk liner that has been dyed to match the stock color:

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lift up both grilles and here is what you see. On the floor is a rack that features two Mosconi AS200.4 4 channel amplifiers, one sends 200 watts to each midrange and tweeter, while the second powers the underseat woofers with 200 watts and a whopping 950 watts RMS at 2ohms to the sub. Behind the amps is a Cache Audio CEX 3 way electronic crossover, which handles the frequencies for the mid and tweeter (i didnt want to go the passive route from previous experience), and the JBL MS8 sits all the way at the back.

all the components are precisely flush mounted with a slat routed edge, and is trimmed in a dark graphite vinyl.

On the fiberglass side box of approximately .7 cubic feet sits a Morel Ultimo SC10 2ohm subwoofer. it is also trimmed in its ring of graphite vinyl.

Now a quick word on the Mosconi amps...plain and simple, I am in love...I LOVE the way they look, which is euro chic, different yet still very classy, all the connections and terminals are laid out sensibly and works great in limited spaces, and for once, allt he controls are mounted ON TOP! These amps also had two fans built in which helps in cooling. In essense, these are redesigned and improved versions of the Steg amps.

for more info, go to:

Audio System - AS 200.4

I normally dont gush about new gear, but i think i found a new favorite...and will definitely use them in my Kia. They are so clean and have a ton of control and headroom. And most importantly, in a car with super high amounts of interference, they remained dead quiet...not a wiff of whine. Bravo!

so yeah...the pics:

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Onto the build pics.

One of the challenges with this car is that not only is there no spare tire well (as on all E90 i believe), there isnt even a shallow well for me to hide the ms8 and the xover in...under the floor there is just a metal plate that protects the Urea tank and injection related stuff.

So after doing some thinking, i came up with a way to mount the foundational floor using the stock bolts.

When the nuts go into the studs securing that metal plate, they leave a good 1/3" or so of stud left, so i took some T-nuts, and use them as a mating sleeve (i couldnt find metric threaded sleeves anywhere). this way, i can then insert a bolt into it attached to brackets bolted to the floor.

This is the foundational floor piece with all the supports, the underside of it received a layer of ensolite so it wont buzz against the metal floor:

Here is the floor secured to the car, note the bolts holding down the brackets as mentioned before.

Upfront, i put two hinges in place, this way, if for any reason something in the urea system have to be serviced, i can unplug some wires, undo the bolts, and lift up the entire rack. Its not easy, but sure as heck easier than having to remove the entire thing, here is how the floor looks pivoted up:

Here is the whole build process of the fiberglass side box area all taped up and a dozen or so layer of cloth laid down:

The mold was then pulled out of the car and trimmed to the desired shape:

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rim baffle and a strip of low heat plastic was attached to the structure to give it shape, and fleece pulled. once that dried, the entire thing was sanded a bit to get rid of the rough edges:

I then cut the back of the box open and reinforced the box from the inside with 9 layers of mat:

and then two quarts of duraglas/resin milkshape was poured into the enclosure to seal everything and make the corners solid:

then the opening was sealed back up with 6 layers of cloth from the inside and out:

Finally, the box was wrapped in trunk liner, and then dyed to a lighter shade to match the stock color:

the trim ring was wrapped in vinyl and wire run into the box:

now the sub was ready to go into the box:

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Note the metal bracket at the top edge of the box, this meets up with a stock clip location so i can secure the enclosure with it, the bottom of the enclosure is held in place by the fake floor:

Here are the various trim and floor piece before and after upholstery:

and here are the two grille covers before carpeting:

Finally, some pics of the wiring and the middle trim piece, all wires are on barrier strips and there are zip ties every few inch or so:

so thats it...for stock locations, the car sounds very good, the Gladen woofers work exactly as advertised, providing tight midbass, the smoothness of the Morels is always enjoyable. stage is quite high with decent depth, center is not as focused with the stock locations but okay.

anyway, off to dinner in a rush so sorry for the typos...again, just super psyched with no noise problems and great experiences with the new product lines!

b

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i am prolly not good at giving reviews of amps, possessing no equipment to measure anything...so for anyone looking for specs, i cant provide anything.

but from just listening to the car over the course of the day, add to it the way they look and how easy they are to install and make adjustments, i am quite sold on em :)

b

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Another...great install Bing!
Glad to see the Cache CEX in the mix on this one too :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
i have a mosconi as 100.4 amp in my car giving power to front 6.5 chameleon and id v3 12 sub. after jbl i find this sub clean with no distortion.the harshness of the tweets have gone and the tweet and midbass are properly aligned

·
Registered
496 Posts
Another awesome install in a challenging car. Once again, you made everything look so easy.
What were your crossover points for the 4's in the door and the midbass drivers under the seat? I know it's difficult to get good midbass impact with the drivers mounted under the seat.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Wow, great install. Super clean. Wondering how those midbass drivers worked out? I have an Escalade that I am installing a sub in and the factory sub appears to be the same exact shape as those Audio system drivers. Also what did you use for sound deadening in those midbass enclosures? Looks like some sort of tape?

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Fantastic job Bing! That is certainly one of the cars I really admire - 335d!

Those Gladen drivers look very appealing - sounds like they are a very good option for those with these bimmers - I know Ryan has tried a couple drivers in his 135i so far.

I liked the looks of the Mosconi's in this build as well:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/1231853-post76.html

So it is kind of cool to see them in one of your builds here in the states, and as you said from your experience with them, I'm sure we will be seeing more of them.;)

1 - 20 of 79 Posts