DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what your opinons were on some sql subs. I know some of the common ones:

RE XXX
IDMAX
BRAHMA
W6/W7

Any help would be great.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
what do you want to accomplish? i dont exactly agree with the term sql but obviously understand. i say bw those you're pretty much splitting hairs for what you want. choose the one that fits your app the best: enclosure requirements, available power etc

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The point is, my encolsure requirements, available power and all that can vary. I'm not really asking for a definitive fix or to make my decision, I just wanted to know of any brands with high output, high power drivers that keep the sound quality at the high output. Many people don't believe you can have sound quality at high volumes but if you look at the definition of sq there is no reason you can't just say I wan't all the same features just louder. No where in the definition of SQ does it say only under said db level. I think you might be interested in the editorial letter in the new car audio mag on his ideals about sq and db level. Good read.

·
Registered
212 Posts
i also agree on the whole sql thing but dont we all.
anyway I usually weed it down thru these steps:

company track record and customer satisfaction (pretty much one and the same)

build quality

then whether it fits my needs and enclosure size.

then how i think they will sound... more sq oriented.. more spl etc...

why how they sound last? well because all of these companies like ID, RE, DD, JL, Atomic, lkjdjf;alkj;klfas or whatever they are called all make top notch subs and its really a preference when it comes to the overall sound.

I usually buy my equipment based on the more overbuilt designs like re and dd because there is less chance of a failure or complications. i.e. adire brahma, from what I understand a great sub but some complaints on tinsel slap and other small problems. so if you had a different option just as good or better wouldnt you choose it? (not picking on adire brahma just a known problem when they first came out)

keep in mind I only judge subs like this that are designed to take abuse and have VERY high output and high wattage is needed. but things change when your looking at sq subs such as clean linear travel... whether there is noise from the cone or motor... etc.

IMO these subs have the wow factor but usually are all overkill. after 1000 watts to one sub you most likely just want more boom then music. after all a sub should blend with your front stage not cover it up. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
212 Posts
keep in mind its pretty hard to have a sq sub with high output in a car because of cabin gain. thats why many people tune their boxes VERY low.

but the truth is the car environment is great for powerful bass but not so much for high output sq. dont get me wrong it can be done but it wont be just because of the brand sub you choose. and you would then need a front stage to keep up with all the bass. I know you dont want to hear it but, (learn from someone who used to be a basshead) hearing loss is inevitable unless you listen at a comfortable level. just keep it in mind.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd like to reiterate the point of the post was not to find a specific sub to fit my install but was to learn of any other brands that perform high sq at high db levels. I would then make my decision after carefully evaluating all entries. I just want to hear all the options. Thanks for the imput. Plus, I listen to every type of music, and I won't be needing it to play 150 db all the time. It's more when I turn off the jazz and put on the rap I want the ability to experience the music the way it was meant to be. On the same token, if I want to hear the quality i have the ability.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I am quite happy with my Brahma12, except for the box size :D.
I also listen to all types of music, rap/rock being most of it.
I can't comment on any other woofer, because I have only heard Brahma and IDQ so far.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
foley316 said:
The point is, my encolsure requirements, available power and all that can vary. I'm not really asking for a definitive fix or to make my decision, I just wanted to know of any brands with high output, high power drivers that keep the sound quality at the high output. Many people don't believe you can have sound quality at high volumes but if you look at the definition of sq there is no reason you can't just say I wan't all the same features just louder. No where in the definition of SQ does it say only under said db level. I think you might be interested in the editorial letter in the new car audio mag on his ideals about sq and db level. Good read.
i beleive sq can be loud, as a matter of fact if it sounds good very loud i can guarantee it sounds wonderful at normal levels. but again, you want things balanced not covered up thats my point. i basically just hate when kids say "yea my dual 15's in X cf tuned to mid-upper 30's is loud and has great sq!" yadda yadda ... but again its just me and by no means am i saying this is you. just giving my .02 like the rest of us forum geeks

·
Registered
280 Posts
I can suggest CrystalMobileSound subwoofers after having experience with the 15" CmpX2, 15" CompX2, and 12" Comp. I currently use (2) 12" Comp for the exact purpose you are striving for, great SQ but with the ability to bump rap and hip/hop like some of it is meant to be. I have been out of the subwoofer game for a while but other notable names are the Avalanche, Stereo Integrity, TC Sounds, Dayton, Peerless, and many others that I am surprised people haven't mentioned yet.

I have to agree with some when they say SQ at high levels is difficult to obtain. It is nearly impossible in my eyes to find the balance for a real SQ system for jazz and the likes and then have the capabilities to really bump for rap.

What I sometimes do is run an active 3-way up front and let the subwoofers fill-in the low-end for music I want to sound RIGHT to my ears. For rap I will change my XO settings and sometimes run an active 2-way front and add some equalization to the subwoofer. If you expect to be able to pop in a jazz CD and then switch to a rap CD and get the most capable sound from your system, without any adjustments, it will be difficult. If you want both CDs to sound the best you will have to change something actively unless you are not extremely picky.

I hope this all makes sense!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kappa546 said:
i beleive sq can be loud, as a matter of fact if it sounds good very loud i can guarantee it sounds wonderful at normal levels. but again, you want things balanced not covered up thats my point. i basically just hate when kids say "yea my dual 15's in X cf tuned to mid-upper 30's is loud and has great sq!" yadda yadda ... but again its just me and by no means am i saying this is you. just giving my .02 like the rest of us forum geeks

I definitely see what you're saying and where you are coming from. I suppose if I had asked for some sql components that this post would have gone differently. I'm asking for a smooth, flat extended response with control and accruacy at high output levels. I perfer sealed boxes and I don't necessarily listen to it at top volume all the time. If I would like to though, I wan't the ability and sometimes with some rock and rap I do. I sometimes wish I only liked one kind of music then I could easily tailor my system to it. Trying to get a system to do it all is harder. I think unfortunately, most people who wan't sql don't necessarily want SQ loud. They wan't clean SPL. I however was asking for a different scenario. Not necessarily to play loud all the time or to get the loudest but to meet my needs when they arise. All the while retaining the aspects of a SQ system. I plan on doing a three way where the tweet and mid get 65 watts each and the midbass gets 100. That's 460 watts just for the front stage. Will I be maxing these out? Most likely not but I need the sub to keep up. So when I say SQL sub I mean 650 rms and up subs. Or if you think something like two 500 rms subs or 4 250rms sq subs would do better let me know. All I wan't is the flexibility of a system that can do it all. Is that too much to ask? :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tf1216 said:
I can suggest CrystalMobileSound subwoofers after having experience with the 15" CmpX2, 15" CompX2, and 12" Comp. I currently use (2) 12" Comp for the exact purpose you are striving for, great SQ but with the ability to bump rap and hip/hop like some of it is meant to be. I have been out of the subwoofer game for a while but other notable names are the Avalanche, Stereo Integrity, TC Sounds, Dayton, Peerless, and many others that I am surprised people haven't mentioned yet.

I have to agree with some when they say SQ at high levels is difficult to obtain. It is nearly impossible in my eyes to find the balance for a real SQ system for jazz and the likes and then have the capabilities to really bump for rap.

What I sometimes do is run an active 3-way up front and let the subwoofers fill-in the low-end for music I want to sound RIGHT to my ears. For rap I will change my XO settings and sometimes run an active 2-way front and add some equalization to the subwoofer. If you expect to be able to pop in a jazz CD and then switch to a rap CD and get the most capable sound from your system, without any adjustments, it will be difficult. If you want both CDs to sound the best you will have to change something actively unless you are not extremely picky.

I hope this all makes sense!
Thanks for the tips and the company refferalls.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Yes the Crystal CMP line is awesome. I might toss in Treo Engineering as well...

·
Registered
280 Posts
On another note, I have a good friend running a single IDMAX in his SUV off an Autotek he had left over from his SPL days. I think it sounds like crap and I think this is the case for a few reasons:

1) Type of amplifier and the amplifier's build purpose
2) Type of vehicle
3) XO
4) Source unit

Get some good equipment and it should make a big difference. For strictly SQ, sometimes I prefer the sound with my subwoofers turned off. I know my tastes have changed since the old days with the 15" woofer. I would strongly recommend hearing a system with the intent the same as yours because bass machines and SQ/SQL is a different story completely.

There are a lot of give and takes!
Sorry to run off another post. I promise to be done!!

·
Registered
746 Posts
My list would be the following:

1. Arc Audio.
2. Boston Acoustics
3. CDT Audio
4. Morel
5. Image Dynamics
6. Ascendant Audio [Arsenal]
7. TREO
8. Rainbow

Now a little tip for you is that if the sub is 500 watts rms [for example] you can throw at least 300 watts rms to 500 watts rms but keep the enclosure sealed. SQ people are not interested how much bass or SPL the subwoofer is producing to let you know.

Take care.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Um, do you know that your responding to a six year old post?

·
Registered
44 Posts
wow, back from the dead...funny cause i was actually going to ask a similar.

as we know, image dynamics is not the image dynamics we used to know...i've been a huge fan of the idmax and sadly i heard it will not be in production anymore (repair kits can't even be bought any more)...

what's a good alternative?

·
Registered
55 Posts
The real Image Dynamics company is no longer. Eric was bought out, so who knows what will happen to them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts