DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have read and learned a good portion of what i know here on DIY and i have tried to figure out what i need to know without making a thread but am struggling to at this point.

I am looking to purchase a SQL 12" sub. I want my bass sound like a part of my music instead of it sounding like a muddy thing in the back of my car. I will be typically be listening to music at suitable listening levels, and will not be in any competitions. It is important for it to have good sound quality but at the same time i want to be able to crank it occasionally. Space is not a concern for my car. I dont want to spend more than $200 for the driver.
^ an attempt to lay out my goals.

The three subs i am considering are the TC Sounds epic, The DC Level 3, and possibly the Dayton HO(probably too quiet). All of these would be 12" like previously mentioned.

Another big factor is the enclosure. I am pretty new and dont want to risk failing at building my own. I dont have the power tools either and the nearest store to buy the materials is an hour away. I have been led into believing that a ported box will suit my needs due to them being louder and having potential to sound as good as sealed. The ported box i would buy would be Value Series single 12 ported

So my question is, which of the above 3, or possibly other selections of sub would fit this box very well? do you think this box is good quality(equal to a sealed)? I know cabin gain and other factors will also change how it will all sound but I think that this box is the way to go for me.

Any and all opinions and help would be appreciated a lot! Thank you in advanced

Rocky

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Never ever buy a prefab ported box

They're boomy, tuned high, and sound like crap.

Enclosures should be designed around the sub that's going in them.

All in one boxes usually never work.

You're better off having someone designing and building one & shipping it to you.

From that list, i'd go with the Epic.

I'd also throw in the JBL P series and the sundown SA series

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know not to go with a prefab, i was just hoping this guys were different given that i had heard some good stuff about them. I dont really understand tuning but he said his boxes were tuned close to 35hz depending on the subwoofer size (i think). I thought the only reason prefab boxes weren't good typically was because they werent tuned with the driver and they were usually just cheaply made through mass production. If a box has the correct volume and is a quality build and is tuned to the properly wouldn't it be good? I may be way wrong so just let me know if i am. I feel like you may have just seen that it was prefab-ish and immediately turned it down without looking at its actual quality. Maybe it is junk though let me know. Also when it comes to the TC Sounds Epic it is dual voice coil @ 2ohm so idk what ohm amplifier to get. I am looking at the sundown right now also thanks for the recommendations!

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
No.

for example, Port area should be dependent on what sub it's being modeled for.

Anyone can say they're boxes sound good

but how would they know..if they don't know the car it's going into or the sub that's being put in it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
i know you said port area affects the sound, but isnt that only when it comes to tuning?

Value Series single 12 ported

12 inch Custom Ported MDF Car Stereo Sub Woofer Enclosure 2 CU ft Tuned 32Hz | eBay

Both of these boxes were made by hand so they are semi-custom i guess. The Sundown SA-12 recommends 1.5-2 cf^3 and both of these boxes are 2 cubic feet. One box is tuned to 34-35hz dependent on sub displacement and the other is tuned at 32hz. If the volume and the tuning is correct then i dont understand why these would sound bad. What other factors are not being accounted for? i know that the one built by dave the box guy will is made well. I dont think there would be port noise or anything else. so what am i missing? thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread..... But, I gotta put my input here. Ideally, for an SQL system, Go with a large sealed enclosure. Not too large but +25% max of what most companies provide. Some will Give you a minimum and maximum size but it it is unfortunately uncommon. Bass box Pro is a great for this type of thing. Pop in the Thiele Small Perimeters and it gives you what you're looking for. No off the shelf boxes EVER (with the exception of the NVX HO enclosure for their VC Drivers, That thing sounds great and is well made.). As far as drivers are concerned, nothing but a good used higher priced driver is going to achieve the goal you're looking for. There are some good sounding subs in the price range, but I'd never refer to them as SQL. A hack though.....The old natural sound Audiobahn 10's pllay super clean and are fast and light enough to play double bass kicks VERY cleanly. Don't let 10's out of the mix. They can play low enough for most and are much more controlled. The bigger the driver gets the looser the bass gets when it comes to cheaper drivers. (L7 is exemplary here. . . .lol) They Hammer but are sloppy. My honest opinion on a decent priced driver would be the sundown SD series, Underhung, low moving mass, decent power handling(which is quite underated). They do well at the price point. I do not recommend W7 for most because they have thier own sound/feel. Unless you've heard a dub 7 in person, you won't know what I mean. They do not hit like any other driver out there. They sound good. Really good. But, are in a class all of their own. You want SQL from JL.....12W6V2....I emphasize the V2.......Probably the best sounding driver I've ever heard get nasty when it needed to and it didn't need a lot of power to do it and it has a more traditional sound. Another beast from back in the day, Rockford Fosgate Punch Power HX2....Badasses.....And, for an honorable cheapo mention. Fusion Powerplant. A surprising driver for looking like a toy. LATE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts