DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ears have been feeling funny lately after getting out of the car, ringing almost and I had not been listening to that high volume music. Today I think I have worked out what might be causing it , or it could be co.incidence.

There is a high pitch squeal coming from my door and dash speakers while the amp is on Pioneer GM-D1004, for some reason it's barely audible when I first get in the car but by the time drive around for a while its is audible but still very quiet and music blocks it out but now I can unhear it. The engine on or off or acceleration doesn't effect it. Volume knob doesn't effect it.

I had recently installed new door speakers and per advice in another thread I had engaged the HPF on the amp so I turned it off to see what happened and this has stopped the noise.

Given the noise is only noticeable with the hpf filter on and does not vary with engine activity, does this mean a defective filter or do I still need to go down the route of checking the earth?

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
Given the noise is only noticeable with the hpf filter on and does not vary with engine activity, does this mean a defective filter or do I still need to go down the route of checking the earth?
When mine squealed loudly it was an amp that needed recapping.
So the HPF being defective seems like a reasonable conclusion.

If the squeal was coming into it, then the HPF should sqelch the squeal.
And i agree that it does not sound like an earth problem either.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As in dodgy capacitor? How could I confirm that, open it up and see if any are bulging?

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
Well it could be anything??
But the fact that it works with the HPF in the off position, and squeals in the On position is a great source start.

I sent my amp away to be refurbished... but maybe a cap could look bad?
(Looking at it is usually free.)

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
Or get a Harrison Labs RCA HPF and leave the HPF on the dodgy unit disabled?
And then call it a day.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
Good old Amazon sent a replacement unit and problem resolved, for now. Hpf on. Hopefully it will last.
I would not worry. Things often fail quickly or sneak through QA.
If it is working now, then if it is working in a month it will be working in a year.

If it also fails in the month, then it is a design fault.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts