DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Squeezing a sealed box behind the factory door panel: Cquenze 8" midbass in 99' Astro

Here's what I've done with most of my free time for the last couple of months.
As is usual for me, I didn't take step by step build up pics, but I got a few here and there.

Here's a borrowed pic of the stock door panel

Panel removed: This is after I cut a gaping hole into the sheet metal to make room for the enclosure. Looks like a lot of space to work with until you let the window down. Notice that I stayed clear of the plastic anchors that the door panel retainer clips mount to. I also added my own anchors for the 1/4 bolts that would hold the enclosure to the door.

No pics of the work, but the enclosure was started as two seperate pieces and them joined to form a sealed box. The back was extremely difficult. Most of my time was spent getting the back of the enclosure to clear the power window mechanism while still providing adequate air space. You can tell from the shaping on the back of the enclosure that it was a big pain in the butt.

the semi-circles at the bottom and the pvc pipe towards the front are to allow the door panel mounts to reach their anchors in the sheet metal.

The front was a lot easier, I simply taped off the back of the door panel and used it as my mold. The joining of the front and back was much harder than I expected. I had to get them properly aligned so that the enclosure sat flat against the sheet metal and the door panel lay flat over the enclosure. This took forever, and I didn't get it perfect. I ended up having to modify the shape a little to compensate for my misalignment. In the end it all worked out.

I used three 1/4" bolts to mount the enclosure to the door. Plastic anchors were put earlier remember. I used both metal and rubber washers to prevent the mounting holes from leaking. I would have liked to used more bolts to minimize any chance for vibration, but I new that every hole meant another possible leak in the enclosure.

Next I cut a big hole where the factory grille used to be (sorry no pics)
I made the the new grille using 1/4" mdf, 1/4" aluminum bars, and bondo-glass. It was molded directly over the stock door panel with the enclosure and speaker in place. Crisco (lol) was used as a mold release on the door panel AND SPEAKER. It did a great job preventing the bondo from adhering to the woofer cone/surround. This method also allowed the grille to snap into place and stay without any other mechanical support. No need for screws!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Squeezing a sealed box behind the factory door panel: Cquenze 8" midbass in 99' A

After water testing , the enclosures came out at about 11 liters. Audiotechnology's simulator recommends 10.5, I'll take it!
Here's a shot of the full 3way front stage.

Now I just have to try my hand at painting these things.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Re: Squeezing a sealed box behind the factory door panel: Cquenze 8" midbass in 99' A

Great looking midbass enclosure. How much time did you spend on those doors?

·
Registered
167 Posts

How do those vifa domes sound?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Great looking midbass enclosure. How much time did you spend on those doors?
Hard to really say. I started them back in November but I work retail so I could only put in a few hours a week. Then it got cold, so I took off for December and January. 2nd week of February through mid March I worked pretty consistently 2 to 3 days a week maybe 4 to 6 hours a shot.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

How do those vifa domes sound?
I am still getting to know them. Still experimenting with different crossover points, slopes, etc. I'll have to post a review once I get them dialed in.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts

Props to you, I don't have the patience for that kind of crap.

·
Registered
152 Posts

Are there air vents on your midbass coil caps?

·
Registered
237 Posts

Used to have a 98 GMC Safari. Loved it 3 rows of leather seats. Lots of options for speaker locations in them. Beautiful work on the dash pods. Those Cquenze are nice. What kind of crossover points are you using?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Are there air vents on your midbass coil caps?
the system is run active, no passive crossovers. You can see the individual components in my sig. The boxes are sealed, no room for the size a vented box would require. The pvc pipe you see passing through the box is there so that the door panel could still be secured using the factory mounts/clips.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Used to have a 98 GMC Safari. Loved it 3 rows of leather seats. Lots of options for speaker locations in them. Beautiful work on the dash pods. Those Cquenze are nice. What kind of crossover points are you using?

After experimenting for a couple of weeks, I think I have settled on 63/800/4kz all at 24db/oct. The domes play fine down to 500hz, but of course this limits SPL. I also got the passenger side dome a little more off axis than it likes; I noticed a huge dip in respone from 850 and down when using 500hz highpass. The same frequencies rta'd smooth on axis.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Props to you, I don't have the patience for that kind of crap.
thanks, but trust me, I came close to bashing those damn things with a hammer on many occasions. That's why it took me so long.

·
Registered
76 Posts

Your work is stellar dude, bet that front stage could rattle some fillings loose..

·
Registered
525 Posts

Fantastic, to say the least! Turned out great.

·
Registered
100 Posts

thanks, but trust me, I came close to bashing those damn things with a hammer on many occasions. That's why it took me so long.
I feel your pain :D:D:D

PS:Very good work!

·
Registered
2,544 Posts

You have an XM-2000R powering your Cquenzes?!?! :eek:

Damn!

·
Registered
100 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

You have an XM-2000R powering your Cquenzes?!?! :eek:

Damn!

yeah, I know it's complete overkill but I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of it. I couldn't even show it in my install, I had to stuff it under the back seat...such a shame.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts