DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
>> SSA Dcon, 10" prototypes.

The SSA Dcon will be our up coming mid-level line. We had intended to hold on the 10" & 12" versions until the 8" was ready, but with the 8" version getting close, it was time to begin testing on the larger sizes. The goal of the SSA Dcon is to keep the same high level of clarity the Icon has achieved, but scaled down a little. Almost like a mini-Icon if you will (maybe change the name to mIcon ;) ).

Specs and pricing will come later once everything is ironed out and ready to go for production. A goal of 300 watt rms, and more affordable price tag then the Icon. Starting out with a 2" / 4 layer / copper dual 4 ohm coils, and shooting for 15-18mm of xmax, and if all goes well with this version we hope to have them ready for production fairly soon to give a few hints. Pricing is not set as we have not finished testing.

Mark is testing a pair of 10" prototypes, and a 12" prototype is on the way to me now. Being in Arizona, Mark is much closer to the build house, so here are some pictures Mark shot of the 10" models. I will add 12" prototype pictures later.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its not a big deal it just looks tiny next to the other sub, so are the 8;s held up in production? I have been eyin those ever since I first saw them
The Icon's is on the larger side of average and the Dcon's is on the smaller side of average, so the difference is amplified.

The adjusted basket for the 8" is nearing completion, just taking longer then we had thought.
:D

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
The Icon's is on the larger side of average and the Dcon's is on the smaller side of average, so the difference is amplified.

The adjusted basket for the 8" is nearing completion, just taking longer then we had thought.
:D
Nice, looking forward to getting my hands on a set of the 8's, do you got any clue on box sizes for these subs yet?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice, looking forward to getting my hands on a set of the 8's, do you got any clue on box sizes for these subs yet?
I would prefer to hold off until we have tested a wide variety of sizes before we give optimal enclosures. But don't worry, nothing in the design would lend them to anything really out of the ordinary. :)

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
Lookin' good! I like the clean/simple look of your subs. I'm glad that you and a few other companies are finally going back that way instead of trying to be flashy for the sake of being flashy. +1 for SSA!

·
Registered
454 Posts
I had pretty much decided to run a single Icon 12, but now seeing these i may have to change my mind and go with 2 Dcons instead. Very nice looking subs

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Lookin' good! I like the clean/simple look of your subs. I'm glad that you and a few other companies are finally going back that way instead of trying to be flashy for the sake of being flashy. +1 for SSA!
x2.

Jacob, are these only going to be offered with dual 4 ohm voice coils? And get us some prices! :p :D

It's good to see you guys are expanding your product line (both amps and drivers). I think I read somewhere that you guys are going to try out manufacturing drivers outside of sub woofers...that true?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
These are looking great...probably 1/2 the magnet of the Icon, but still twice the magnet of most others! I do plan on buying on when released. Keep up the good work!

Any idea on price range? I don't need an exact figure, just something to gauge with.

·
Registered
597 Posts
That's a lot of rearward clearance for just 15-18mm of travel.

Maybe you don't need the extra slug in there?
X2
That seems to be the trend and a major selling point of subs these day. Bigger motors when they are not needed.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
x2.

Jacob, are these only going to be offered with dual 4 ohm voice coils? And get us some prices! :p :D

It's good to see you guys are expanding your product line (both amps and drivers). I think I read somewhere that you guys are going to try out manufacturing drivers outside of sub woofers...that true?
We have plans for mid's down the road. Our first goal is to have the sub woofer lines fully established (the 2 on the way and the 1 current, with a possible 4th line to slot between the Icon and Dcon, maybe a 5th in 2010) and then expand the product offerings. Since it is just the two of us, we need to focus on one model offering at a time to make sure it meets the goals we set for it. With the Xcon moving into production, we were ready to move to the next line and start focusing on the Dcon.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's a lot of rearward clearance for just 15-18mm of travel.

Maybe you don't need the extra slug in there?
As this line is designed to be a little more wallet friendly, it is less expensive to build with three smaller diameter magnet slugs and achieve the same force then it is to go with one massive slug.

We had this same decision with the Xcon design. As many SPL minded drivers these days are going with a massive triple stacks, we had to take that into consideration.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts