DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

ssa VS Fi (sound qualitty and or wow factor)

• SSA

Votes: 21 44.7%
  • Fi audio

Votes: 26 55.3%
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SSA ICON 12" VS Fi Q 12" whats your expericance?

Ive made a decision on my next subwoofer, its going in a 12" sealed box and being powered by a alpine pdx 1.1000. I listen to everything, and I do mean everything (except NEW country) Alot of my decision is based on supporting a smaller company and also by price. I have a diamond audio d6 right now, its been beat up and dented pretty bad over the years....time to replace.

If you have any experiance with either or both feel free to chime in...(thoughts on sq,bottoming out, actual power it took to get it moving, etc)

I thought it was pretty cool how Fi lets you pick the color of the logo you want on the sub...nice addition ive never seen.

Fi Q12

DUAL 1 | DUAL 2

Fs: 28.4 Hz | 27.1 Hz
Re: 0.7 Ohms/coil | 1.4 Ohms/coil
Qms: 05.39 | 5.63
Qes: .49 | .48
Qts: .45 | .44
Mms: 211g | 231g
Cms: 0.15mm/N | 0.15mm/N
Sd: 481cm^2 | 481cm^2
Vas: 48.3 l | 48.3 l
Spl: 85.4dB 1W/1m | 84.8dB 1W/1m
Bl: 10.4 N/A | 15.1 N/A
Xmax: 27mm
Rms: 1000W
Sealed box: .8-1.5 cuft
Ported box: 1.8-2.5 cuft @ 28-33Hz
Sub OD: 12.500”
Cut ID: 11.125”
Mounting depth: 7.000”
Displacement: 0.16cuft

Price: $ 244.00

3” wide, 4 layer, copper voice coil

Push terminals

Pulp Fiber Cone

Dual stiff progressive spiders

FEA optimized motor structure

3" Anodized aluminum former

Heavy Duty Lead wires

Design and hand crafted in USA

Fs 29.9

Qms 5.87

Qes .45

Qts .42

Mms 212 g

Sd 480 cm^2

Vas 43.7 l

Bl 16.4

Spl 86.0 1W/1m

Xmax 20.5mm

Wattage: 1000RMS

Displacement: 0.16cuft

$275

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
Why not compare the Q to the Icon since you have 1000rms on tap? $275.00

ICON 12 D2/D1
* 3"” wide, 4 layer, copper coils
* Push terminals
* Pulp Fiber Cone
* Dual stiff progressive spiders
* FEA optimized motor
* 3" Anodized alum. former
* Heavy Duty Lead wires
* Hand crafted in USA
* Fs 29.9
* Qms 5.87
* Qes .45
* Qts .42
* Mms 212 g
* Sd 480 cm^2
* Vas 43.7 l
* Bl 16.4
* Spl 86.0 1W/1m
* Xmax 20.5mm
* Wattage: 1000wRMS
* Displacement: 0.16cuft

Enclosure Recommendations:

* Sealed: 1.00 cu.ft.
* Sealed: 1.35 cu.ft. optimal
* Ported: 1.90 cu.ft. @ 27-33 hz
* Ported: 2.50 cu.ft. @ 27-33hz opt.
* Sub Outside Dia.: 12.500”
* Cut Inside Dia.: 11.150”
* Mounting depth: 6.500”
* Displacement: 0.16cuft

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good point, i was looking at them as more of the middle of the companies subs. Good idea, that would be a better idea. hopefully some people chime in with their experiance with any of these subs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Having owned both I have a really hard time picking one. I had a 12" Q and now have a 10" Icon. They are both excellent drivers that can do it ALL! If I had to choose it would be SSA just for the customer service. Everyone raves about Fi's customer service, but compared to SSA's I would say it is average at best. Give your money to Mark :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was actually the luck winner of a 12" DCON when SSA did the giveaway on their site a few weeks back. Additionally, one of my good friends has a pair of 10" Icons and another has a 12" Q. I figured i would chime in because i know more people on here probably have experienced the Q's than the SSA drivers

First off, i have about 10 hours on the DCON and am absolutely loving it so far. However a PDX 1.1000 is TOO much power for a single DCON. It will mate up to the ICON perfectly. My friend actually runs a PDX 1.1000 per Icon in his car and it works great

The Q has a very nice low end but the Icon just does it a little better. The roll off in similarly sized sealed boxes just seems less pronounced. All the way down well into the 20's it stays loud and flat. Both are nice and tight and clean, It's really a close comparison but in the end i just like the low end characteristics of the Icon better. The DCON seems to be exhibiting similar characteristics so far, which i am very happy about

I would give the Icon the nod here

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its good to know that either way, im gonna have a quality sub. thanks for the input from everyone.

·
Registered
205 Posts
on paper it would seemt he Q has the advantage where output is a concern. otherwise there's not much to discern between them aside from mounting depth. i think your question will end up going beyond technical comparison. that becomes very subjective and thus not something i can weigh in on.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have the FI Q 12" in a strictly SQ setup. Amazing bass, tight and integrates well. Its very fast and musical too. If you want you can turn the gain up and vibrate evrything in the car and local vicinity. I cant really compare it to the ICON, but Im very happy with the purchase and the Fi seems to be a very well built solid, product. Definitely goes down into the 20s.. Id say 25 with good output. I only have 600w running to the sub, but it seems fine.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I will be watching this thread closely as these are two of the subs that I am considering to replace my RE 10.

The other being an AA Havoc.

·
Registered
44 Posts
ibanzil any updates on which sub you picked? I am looking for exactly the same thing you are and wanted to know if you can give your input on either sub.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^^^All I can say is, I WOULD have gone with the FI...I was running hertz though so went with the mille 12.

Down the road If I dont go with a specific brand...Ill def get that Fi Q.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Looking to replace Dayton HF that doesn't get all that low, lacking output too. It is going into mid size sedan, 100% sealed into the cabin via skipass, low passed at 63/12.

Thanks.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Havent had experience with the Q but I have owned a 15" ICON and i kick myself every day for getting rid of it. it was ported to 32hz in 4ft^ running on an AQ1200 at aout 60% gain and this was the nicest sounding sub ive owned or heard in person. it blended extremely well with a nice deep smooth bass or i could crank it up with tons of out put. This thing pounded out the lows like a beast but never sounded stressed or felt like it was being pushed to its limits. i think i just talked myself into buying another one. crap

·
Registered
107 Posts
And that is because?

Looking into RE SE, FiQ and SSA, 10" ported with 1000wrms ...

Thanks!

If you are asking why I am replacing the RE; well it didn't handle 1000wrms.
I tried a jl 10w6v2 and also a Kicker 10" CVX for a little while, but I wanted a little more output so I just picked up a 12" Fi Q.
I'm waiting on a prefab box to arrive, so I can't give an opinion yet, but, based on the numerous positive reviews...

If I am not overwhelmed with the Fi, then a 12 Icon is next.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts