DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been away from the car audio scene for a while, and have always wanted an IB setup. Now that I finally have a trunk car... I'd like to go for it.

What I have laying around is my 15" SSA Icon custom built with triple soft spiders, and maybe a different coil. (Can't remember exactly, bought it a few years ago now). Would this driver work well in an infinite baffle setup?

·
Registered
834 Posts
specs don't look too bad for it in IB. I've just started to use WinISD so I can't help you model it, but hopefully someone can help ya there. Ideally, it's the real world trials that will tell you if it can or not. I would say build your baffle and pop it in there. If it sounds good...wonderful. If not, sell it and pick up a different 15". Just use that subsonic, watch your gains and don't be stupid like boosting the low end on EQ, etc.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I've been away from the car audio scene for a while, and have always wanted an IB setup. Now that I finally have a trunk car... I'd like to go for it.

What I have laying around is my 15" SSA Icon custom built with triple soft spiders, and maybe a different coil. (Can't remember exactly, bought it a few years ago now). Would this driver work well in an infinite baffle setup?
It's probably one of those things you'll just have to try to find out. Lately, many people, myself included have tried subs that are not designed to work in IB and they work great. The 12W6 was amazing in IB.

It sounds like your sub is way overbuilt though. In IB, you don't need a huge motor and 3 spiders and such. Not saying it won't work but it probably won't be as efficient as others.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts

I think I know which driver you have. Does it have a silver basket and a convex cone? Did it come from Virginia?

A few people have used stock Icon's and Dcon's for IB and were happy, but yes, the Icon is not the most efficient option for IB.

If you try the Icon in IB and don't prefer it, Fi makes a great option in the IB3.

·
Registered
834 Posts
^ And it doesn't take 3 years, 5 months and 2 days to get it like the AE ib drivers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I know which driver you have. Does it have a silver basket and a convex cone? Did it come from Virginia?

A few people have used stock Icon's and Dcon's for IB and were happy, but yes, the Icon is not the most efficient option for IB.

If you try the Icon in IB and don't prefer it, Fi makes a great option in the IB3.
I had it running in 3.5cube @ 32hz in my Grand Cherokee on 1200w, it sounded really nice. I would've crammed that box into the trunk but it got wet and ruined in the garage.

I'll try it out and let you guys know how it goes. My budget is exactly $0, and using stuff i have left over from previous installs, which is why I'm hoping the Icon does well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts