DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I'd like to say that this is a great forum and I have been reading it for a while, just up until now I havn't felt the need to post a question so I put off registering. Anyway... onto the question.

Does anyone know of a manufacturer who makes a quality stand alone variable phase adjuster? Something along the lines of a rotary knob unit that hooks inline with the rca's... I'm not sure if such a product even exists but I would like to have the benefits of variable phase control for my subwoofers and, aside from purchasing a new amp or head-unit with this capability, this seems like it would be the best way to go. If anyone has any information on a unit close to what I'm describing that would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply werewolf.
Hmm.. it seems that that Sinfoni unit is quite expensive, $1000 + new, not sure on used, and the PPI unit doesnt seem to be in production anymore. Couldn't find a relative price on the PPI unit either, but thats probably due to the lack of availability.
Does anyone know of any that are more price friendly and/or readily available? Thanks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I own the PPI phase shifter...model number PSC-221 i think...but its been out of production for ages....it does work flawlessly though. Individual channel continuos phase adjustment on 2 channels. You will need more than one of these things in an active setup though.

bought it to mess around and hooked it up to the midbass...played with it like crazy but altering the phase only made it worse LOL

Anyway if you dare, i know audiobahn makes a similar phase shifter as well....bling bling

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I've got a couple psc-221's. I love them. The best feature is the ability to invert phase on a channel just by clicking a button- it saves so much time when trying to set up a 3-way front stage. I just wish someone made a multi-channel version (or a 4-way analog crossover with phase adjustment capability built-in).

They do color the sound a little bit though, even on "bypass". Not sure why, but you can definitely tell they are in the signal path.

·
Registered
575 Posts
in my 96 car audio directory the psc 221 rtl. price was 399.00 8v max out, 8v max in , 2 ch in,2 ch out , phase shift adj for each ch. sep. 180 deg phase button for each ch,

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah thanks for the help guys, I was thinking that maybe a stand alone unit would be less expensive than an amp that includes phase shifting, but at $399 and up it would be much easier to purchase a new amp.
I think maybe I'll look around to see if i can get a simple unit made for cheap, if not though then I'll just wait until I need a new amp or something.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input Mark, thats a neat little trick. Unfortunately though that wouldn't help my situation, and i already have a 180 degree phase shift on my headunit. Just need to find a continuously variable phase adjuster so I can blend the sounds of the subs more effortlessly with the mids. Having components in front and subs front firing from the trunk sealed off leaves a kind of gap between the sounds that allows me to localize the subs as coming from behind me. I'm hoping that with variable phase adjustment I can get them to sound as if they are coming from the same position as the mids, which is worth a try at the very least. If that doesn't work I'll have to step up to time alignment, which is an upgrade that I don't really want to make at this point in time... maybe my next setup.
Anyway though, that is a nice trick and would be helpful with the 180 degree phase shifts for tweeters and mids, and would really help you to notice a difference in sound.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.