DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted this up at ECA, but I want to post it here too, 'cause you guys are cool :D

I've been working on my car for the last two days. I am proud to say that I am done with one door LOL

I used 2-4 layers of Raammat on the inside of the outer doorskin, then applied a layer of Ensolite foam over the Raammat on the entire inner part of the outer doorskin(all raammat covered). On the area behind the Phaze Tubedriver mid I used 2-3 layers of Ensolite foam.

On the inside doorskin I used 2-3 layers of Raammat. In order to seal the large openings in the door I went for a little drive and found a nice sized Vote For _____ Sign. You know those Corrogated plastic signs all over the place? Well I'm sure they wouldn't be missing one of the millions of them.

It worked out GREAT. I cut it out to a little bit bigger than the size of the opening, then used 3M double sided foam tape to make a sort of gasket, and to hold it in place before I went over the whole thing with Raammat. I did the biggest opening from the inside, and the two smaller openings from the outside, then sealed it up with Raammat.

After the inner part of the door was deadened I applied a layer of Ensolite foam. This worked out really well, and you could tell that after you put the door panel back on, that there wouldn't be any rattling between the door panel and the door itself.

Marv made me a set of speaker baffles for my truck(2005 Tacoma Xrunner) I was lazy and didn't water seal them. I'll do it in the future lol.

I then cut strips of ensolite foam and glued them to the back of the baffle to make a better seal between the baffle and the ensolite foam on the door. It worked out pretty good. I then took the Phaze Mid and cut out a ring of ensolite foam to make a gasket between the mid and the baffle.

Here's a couple of pics.

http://www.customtacos.com/ubbthreads/files/619781-Doorpic1.JPG
http://www.customtacos.com/ubbthreads/files/619789-Doorpic2.JPG
http://www.customtacos.com/ubbthreads/files/619800-Doorpic3.JPG

Eventually I will line the back of the door panel with Second Skin Audio Spectrum Sludge. But for now, it's cool. I'm also going to put the tweets in the A Pillar, but I plan on eventually putting a 3" Midrange in the A Pillars, maybe the Legatia mid, so I'll wait til that happens to do so because it will have to be done with fiberglass.

The MB Quart QTC25's and the Phaze Tubedriver mids will be powered off of a Xetec Gravity 4G600MKII. The amp does 110 watts rms x 4. And is only 11"x11"x3" Fit's perfectly under my drivers seat with room to spair.

I took some internal shots
http://www.customtacos.com/ubbthreads/files/619807-Xetec2.JPG

http://www.customtacos.com/ubbthreads/files/619813-Xetec3.JPG

http://www.customtacos.com/ubbthreads/files/619816-Xetec4.JPG

What do you guys think?

Sorry for the long read, maybe it's informative for someone though

·
Registered
524 Posts
I cannot wait to hear what you think of the Xetec amp. I am still deciding on my amp line and didn't know weather to spend double the money on the Xetec's than an Alpine setup or JL Audio slash. I would love if someone could benchtest a Xetec Gravity series amp to see how it compares to others!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Nice work, but why worry about using Second Skin? That crap sucks...IMO

Dont get too carried away with the layers though, more doesnt always mean better. You may have hit your limit say at 2 layers, and the rest is just wasteful. Oh, and if you put too much down, you wont get the door to fit back on.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AzGrower said:
Nice work, but why worry about using Second Skin? That crap sucks...IMO

Dont get too carried away with the layers though, more doesnt always mean better. You may have hit your limit say at 2 layers, and the rest is just wasteful. Oh, and if you put too much down, you wont get the door to fit back on.
I wanted to use the second skin only on the door panels because it's a little more easier to cover most of the area on the back of the door panel. Do you have a recomendation for a better liquid deadener? I've always heard Second Skin is good stuff.

I've deadened plenty of doors, I've got it down to a science :D The door panel fits on perfectly and is nice and snug against the Ensolite foam.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finleyville said:
I cannot wait to hear what you think of the Xetec amp. I am still deciding on my amp line and didn't know weather to spend double the money on the Xetec's than an Alpine setup or JL Audio slash. I would love if someone could benchtest a Xetec Gravity series amp to see how it compares to others!

I'm sure I'll love it. Where else are you gonna find 110 watts rms x 4 in a 11"x11"x3" Package? :D :D

It would be nice to have this thing bench tested. The only thing I wonder about is, the claimed bridged output is 380 watts rms x 2 @ 4 ohms. But the thing is, it has two 30 amp fuses. Does that sound right? :confused:

·
Registered
374 Posts
cam2Xrunner said:
It would be nice to have this thing bench tested. The only thing I wonder about is, the claimed bridged output is 380 watts rms x 2 @ 4 ohms. But the thing is, it has two 30 amp fuses. Does that sound right? :confused:
It could be, I know it's not the same amp or technology or whatever but my Phaze Audio Tube Driver TD475 has two 30 amp fuses. At 12v it's rated for 75 watts x 4 @ 4ohms or 300 watts x 2 @ 4ohm. I've heard at 14.4v it's closer to 100 x 4 @ 4ohm and 400 x 2 @ 4ohm so it's right around the ball park of your amp. I hope that helps.. heh

Ryan

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Oh yea ensolite is awesome, only problem with it is trying to get back into your door if you didn't deaden it as good as you wanted the first time like i did, i need to put more deadener on the outside panel and another layer or 2 on the inside metal, Only problem is going to be pulling it off after using industrail strength adhesive and deadening and reapplying it. Oh yea and not to mention trying to get into my inner door through the door access holes with aluminum/deadener/ensolite on them. Should be fun.

But the product is awesome, i love it. Couldn't ask for a better product imo.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
|Tch0rT| said:
It could be, I know it's not the same amp or technology or whatever but my Phaze Audio Tube Driver TD475 has two 30 amp fuses. At 12v it's rated for 75 watts x 4 @ 4ohms or 300 watts x 2 @ 4ohm. I've heard at 14.4v it's closer to 100 x 4 @ 4ohm and 400 x 2 @ 4ohm so it's right around the ball park of your amp. I hope that helps.. heh

Ryan
Good to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
What do you guys think?
Sorry for the long read, maybe it's informative for someone though

Acutally, very informative for me as I'm very close to starting my install in the same vehicle. I have Rick's materials in house and all the components. I just need to make up my interconnects and begin. Thanks for the pics and very nice job on getting an amp that will fit under our front seat. My older PPI amp is compact but not compact enough and at less power.

I'll also be putting my tweets in same location as your MBs. Keep us posted.

Jim

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^Thanks, glad it helped.

A few tips that might help more. That metal peice that covers the big hole in the door. You can throw that out. You won't need it after sealing up the hole with the Corrogated plastic sign/raammat. Also, remove the white clips that that the screws for the metal peice gets screwed into. You won't need them, and they are a source for noise because they can rattle. Also, make sure you don't cover up the holes that the panel snaps into. As you can see in the finished door pic, I cut away the ensolite too so that the clips will snap right back on.

Another useful tip. When taking off the sail panels, there are going to be 3 white clips that stick to the door. You want to take those off and put them back on the sail panel before putting the sail panel back on. If you leave those on, and try to snap the sail panel back on, you will end up pushing those white clips into the door, and you won't be able to get them out.

This thread might help with the basics of taking off the door panels.

http://www.customtacos.com/ubbthrea...e=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post507514

BTW are you on Toyotanation? We have a 2005 Tacoma Forum
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.