DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone,

I'm new to the site but not new to car audio.... but its been a few years since I've done a system!

My last system (in 2001 - ouch) was a Kenwood Excelon hu (don't remember the model), Xtant X603, Boston Pro 6"/1" coax mounted in the doors and a Xtant X124 in a fiberglass sub box in the spare tire well. Caps, lights, lots of dynamat, the whole works. :)

Anyways, I'm getting the itch to get back into it and would like some advice.

I was able to pick up 3 Boston Acoustic GT-22 amps (75x2) for the new system. I was originally thinking Front seperates, rear coax and a sub(s) - one amp ea. But reading many of the posts, it appears that going active with a three-way set in the front is the best way to go.

I don't have speakers, and I'm open to suggestions. I'm looking for SQ, my bass-head days are over :laugh:

Car: 2000 Honda Accord (40k original miles)
Already have a HU I'd like to keep: Eclipse CD8443 (I think that's the model, my wife has the car at the moment)

question to start: if I went active w/ three speakers on each channel, what x-over would fit the bill? Audio Control or is there something else that has come along??

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Welcome to the site!

So with the 3 Boston amps, you would have 6 channels of amplification, correct? Are you looking at adding a sub stage with another amp?

As far as a crossover, do the Bostons xover have the capability to bandpass? Or possibly the hu crossover... You may not need an external xover. Depending on what the deck and amps can do.

Rear fill is up to you if you want it or not, it's 50/50 really. Lol some love it, others don't. Some will tell you save the money and put it into your front stage... That's me lol. If you have rear passengers often, I can understand the need though.

Exactly how are you wanting to set it up?
Quasi active... Meaning mid/tweet passive, with active midbass...
Fully active front stage...
Are you looking at additional amps?

·
Registered
448 Posts
i really really really want to try the new arc audio black series 3 ways. i have the new black subs and HOLLY Fuuuu they are the best ive heard in my truck and ive had a few subs.. IDQv2, IDQv3,RE SE, RE SEx, Re SR, Pioneers. the black series are brand new and there arnt any reviews yet but from talking to fred and brad at arc and just the fact there sb acoustics drivers (scan-speak engineers) there most likely awesome. A little over priced imo concidering the price of regular sb drivers. but oh well

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
I think it would also help to know your goals for the install. Are you wanting it to be stealthy, little more show, functional cargo space, etc...

What are the factory speaker locations, and how much fabrication are you wanting to do...

Daily driver or potentially competing....

All will weigh in on your options as far as what you need/want to do.

Decisions, decisions... Lol

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@jcollin76 - Thank-you for your response!

Here's what I know so far:

1. The Boston amps only have a LP and HP (but with an adjustable Q which I thought was interesting)

2. I'd like to do a fully active set-up, yes 6 channels total for the front

3. I suppose I could use the x-overs in the HU, but I would have thought that running one set of interconnects to the rear and splitting it from there might be more beneficial (SQ-wise)

4. I'll add a forth amp for a sub(s), I haven't picked anything out there. They can't take up too much room, something like 2-2.5 cf 'cause I got kids and all their crap, err, stuff. :laugh:

5. Rear fill, probably. I have kids in the car at least twice a day, and they're into music as much as I am.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
The xovers in your hu will prob be more accurate than the pots on your amp, but I could be wrong. I always prefer the ability to adjust/tune from the front seat, which hu xover would provide.

Having as little in your signal chain, between your source and amps, is always a good thing. But sometimes it's just not in the cards depending on your equipment.

Power wise, the Boston amps would be fine for your mids and tweets, but a little under powered for your mb. I would use two for mid/tweet, the other for rear fill. Find a little more power for your mb, and yet another for the sub.

If you stick with the 2 channel amps, you'll end up running several amps. If your set on the Bostons, I'd recommend a nice high power 4 channel. Run 2 channels to your mb, and bridge the other 2 to a sub of your choice. It's a better option than adding two more amps.. beings you need to keep some of your cargo for kids stuff. Lol

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it would also help to know your goals for the install. Are you wanting it to be stealthy, little more show, functional cargo space, etc...

What are the factory speaker locations, and how much fabrication are you wanting to do...

Daily driver or potentially competing....

I'd like to keep it somewhat stealthy, with functional cargo space for sure.

The factory speaker locations are the lower front door panels and the back deck... its your run-of-the-mill honda accord 4-door.

I do like the idea of putting the mids and tweeters in the kick panels, and the mid-bass in the front doors. Probably something simple in the rear, like 5 1/4"'s.

It'll most certainly be a daily driver, but I'd like it to perform like it could compete. You never know, maybe I'll get into it!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
again @jcollin76

You must be sitting at a computer with this site open on your toolbar... :)

The Boston amp is rated @ 75x2 @ 4ohms, you don't think that'll be enough for midbasses?

What would I be looking at power-wise for mb's?

It sounds like I'll need to get more amps... wooferetc dot com have GT-22's still, around 290 ea.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Okay, now to The tricky part... Lol

Your speaker selection is going to depend on several things..

1.Where you'll mount them
2. Available power
3.budget
4.how they sound to you

And there is no particular order here... They all matter equally really.
Prob the most important is how they sound to you. Don't rely on reviews and recommendations unless you trust the persons judgment. This is one of those 'it only matters to you' things.

Audition as many as you can, let the reviews give you an idea where to start. Raw drivers from Madisound, parts express, etc will give you best bang for your buck.
Nothing wrong with purpose built drivers either, just find what you like and run with it.

Kicks are a good option, pretty easy to make, Or cheat and do a q form. Lol I've done it before.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
again @jcollin76

You must be sitting at a computer with this site open on your toolbar... :)

The Boston amp is rated @ 75x2 @ 4ohms, you don't think that'll be enough for midbasses?

What would I be looking at power-wise for mb's?

It sounds like I'll need to get more amps... wooferetc dot com have GT-22's still, around 290 ea.
Lol close... On my phone.
As far as power to your mb, I like around 150rms on average... But it depends on the drivers. Some take and need more. The frequencies they play require more power compared to a mid or tweet. Same goes for a sub... The notes they play just need The juice to sound their best.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@jcollin76

Thanks for the extra work! :laugh:

I'll stalk the other posts to get more ideas.

Back to the original question... 3 way x-over (if one has to use one) what is a good one? Is Audio Control still good, or are products like the JBL processor or the alpine imprint replacing them?

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Lol my pleasure!

Yes audiocontrol is still good.

The added advantage to The imprint, MS-8, etc is that they also do auto tuning, and time alignment for your vehicles acoustics.
If you like set it and forget it, they are very capable processors.

Ya know, the JBL might be very good for your situation as it has a built in amp as well. It's not terribly powerful but would work for your tweets and rear fill needs. Then use your amps for the mid and mb.

Just a thought...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts