DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Former Installator
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever seen one of these before or better yet used it in an autosound application?

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_238&products_id=8494

I really like the coax design since the fronts will be built into kickpanels... pointsource imaging with no seperate tweeter to deal with... but I'll have to build/solder crossovers for them... no big deal, just lazy.

I'm considering using 5 of them for Left/Center/Right/Rears in a DPL/5.1 project, the fronts bi-amped in conjunction with a pair of these...

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1405

This would work great since there's comparatively little depth in the front doors.

All this will be backed up with 2 15's in an IB config... tossing between ID's and Aurasound... any input on this would also be appreciated. (Shooting for a nominal 2 Ohm mono load)

Power will be supplied by 2 soundstream reference 300's for the front stage, a reference 200 for the rears, a reference 500 for the subs, and an xtant 1.1i (100x1) for the center. Source is on order... Kenwood DNX9140 and outboard processing by an AudioControl DQS.... All going into an 04' Subaru STi.

I don't care about competition... just want something a bit unique....

·
Former Installator
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I won't say money is no object... but I don't mind spending a few $$ so long as I'm reasonably sure the end result will justify the means.

Heres a couple of things I'm weighing...

Every three channel/ProLogic/5.1(I also used to play with an ESP-3 before I had access to a dolby processor) system I've ever done works best with identical front channels...

I've always wanted to go three way up front but the stock doors in the STi don't lend themselves to big front speakers. If I go with the 8" in the door, kicks are the only place to put the rest of the front stage (factory door tweeter locations SUCK)... Also the center location is fairly cramped without building an oversized speaker pod. And the coax design saves the space/complexity of having to account for a mid and component tweeter. Hopefully will also simplify kickpanel design... and pushing the mids forward into the kicks should help a bit with imaging supposing I get the aiming reasonably right, which is something I don't have the option of with the current door woofer/tweeter arrangement I have now.

I've got 5" components up front now, with a 4" center channel (ads 345's and an ads 4" coax). I'm pretty happy with it... but I'm going on 4 years with the same system and I'd like to upgrade.

Also if I went with identical drivers, I could hopefully build ONE big passive crossover board for 5 speakers... I've got a schematic from Seas so it's just a matter of learning how to etch boards... not a terribly big lift compared to other stuff I've learned to do... :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
If u got a good system and its good why not just swap Speakes and amps and leave evrything where it is ?

For a three way system could you put a midrange and tweet in the A pillar as seen here ?

·
Former Installator
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Two gauges (boost and H20 Temp) in the driver's side pillar....

One other thing I was considering was a Dynaudio 3way with the dome-mid and tweet in the kick.... but they really don't make a compact speaker to use in the center... and the dome mid only goes to about 900Hz or so it wouldn't make for a good stand-alone center channel option.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Seems that with your placement constraints w/ the guages and design goal for a center channel these SEAS coaxes look like a viable choice. Looks like you are going passive so would you design the x-overs yourself?

·
Former Installator
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Former Installator
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 9 of 9 Posts