DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I blew an in-line fuse last week switching subs, and now i get this static-like popping coming from all 4 speakers and my sub. I've tried to isolate the problem, but i'm having no luck doing so. Sometimes when i am driving and hit a few bumps it reacts, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it is constant and sometimes it's not there at all.

i've put in the same kind of fuse in the same fuse holder, and have checked all the connections to make sure they are tight, and they are all. anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
sounds like a loose connection. make sure the fuse holder is nice and shiney. a little emery paper to make sure there is no carbon on the fuse holder.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll do that as soon as i get home. i'm running two amps, and they both have the same problem. should i check my splitters as well?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
if both are doing it, I would look for common sources. since you replaced the fuse and then it started doing it, I would look there first.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, i cleaned the entire fuse housing and no luck. I didn't have any emery paper, so i used 0000 steel wool, would that work as well or should i go get some emery paper and try it again?

if they work the same, whats next to look at?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright... any other ideas? everything is the same as before the static began, so i'm stumped as to what it could be...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i just remembered, when cleaning the fuse holder, the wire from my battery --> my in line fuse looked dirty or corroded or something, not shiny looking like my in line --> splitter. could this be the source of the problem?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Well, i cleaned the entire fuse housing and no luck. I didn't have any emery paper, so i used 0000 steel wool, would that work as well or should i go get some emery paper and try it again?

if they work the same, whats next to look at?
ya that would be fine, you just wanted it to be free of corrosion.

you got me. only other thing I can think of is the amplifier is damaged. maybe that is what blew the fuse in the first place

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that was my initial fear, but could BOTH amplifiers be damaged in the exact same way? When the static happens, it happens to both my speakers and my sub simultaneously, and they both make the exact same pops...

I was kinda hoping that i needed to replace that section of wire... maybe i will, just to see if it fixes it...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, just a bump and a small update. I blew the fuse when my power wire touched the body of my car, in the trunk. Both amps are being affected simultaneously, in the same way. I did some investigating today and the wires are all ok (as far as I can tell), as well as all the contacts (fuse, splitter) being clean. I DID, however, narrow down the possibilities of the problem. I'm not sure which one to credit this annoying noise, but maybe you guys can. Here's the info I found out today:

1) When I disconnect the RCA's from my headunit, the noise stops on the respective amp (ie - disconnect the 4 channel amp it stops, but it still happens in the sub amp, and vice versa)
2) All the RCA's are in good condition (ie - no cracks in the rubber or anything like that)
3) When I slam (not simply shut, but actually slam) the drivers door shut, it stops for a few seconds, then comes back as it was before.
4) When I disconnect all but 1 of the RCA's, the popping is still present. I could have any of the 4 RCA's hooked up and the static popping will still come out of all of the speakers.

So, any ideas???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts