DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone can guide me here as I have noticed over the past few months a quick static pop sound from time to time in my 2011 tundra. For background I have an alpine 535 double din unit hooked to an alpine pdx-v9 amp going to passive audiofrog crossovers with 6x9 frogs in the door and gs10 in the dash. I checked wire connections in the crossovers and noticed 1 wire was a little loose so I tightened it. Thought I solved the puzzle….but wrong. Today I noticed that if I turned the air conditioning off and the fan to off the static pop completely disappeared. If I turned the fan on low every once in a while the rpm’s while sitting at a stop light would fluctuate a little and then I would hear the static. I hear it mostly when I am streaming Bluetooth and the volume on the head unit is turned slightly up yet my phone is paused so no music is playing. Can’t really hear it when music is playing and turned up. I turned down the gains thinking maybe they were a bit high (as I switched the front speakers from alpine type r passive 2 ways to the frogs and do not remember the noise with the alpines) but it did not change anything (maybe the quick static pops got softer?) I listened to each speaker and I can hear the static pop from all of them - once every 30-60 seconds) Any guidance would be very much appreciated. Thanks for reading.

· Registered
611 Posts
Hoping someone can guide me here as I have noticed over the past few months a quick static pop sound from time to time in my 2011 tundra. For background I have an alpine 535 double din unit hooked to an alpine pdx-v9 amp going to passive audiofrog crossovers with 6x9 frogs in the door and gs10 in the dash. I checked wire connections in the crossovers and noticed 1 wire was a little loose so I tightened it. Thought I solved the puzzle….but wrong. Today I noticed that if I turned the air conditioning off and the fan to off the static pop completely disappeared. If I turned the fan on low every once in a while the rpm’s while sitting at a stop light would fluctuate a little and then I would hear the static. I hear it mostly when I am streaming Bluetooth and the volume on the head unit is turned slightly up yet my phone is paused so no music is playing. Can’t really hear it when music is playing and turned up. I turned down the gains thinking maybe they were a bit high (as I switched the front speakers from alpine type r passive 2 ways to the frogs and do not remember the noise with the alpines) but it did not change anything (maybe the quick static pops got softer?) I listened to each speaker and I can hear the static pop from all of them - once every 30-60 seconds) Any guidance would be very much appreciated. Thanks for reading.
Is the head unit grounded to a wiring harness, or straight to chassis?

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a good question. Never checked it as a audio shop down in Florida installed everything for previous owner. Never noticed the pops until I switched out the alpine speakers to the audiofrog speakers. I kept existing wiring and just unhooked the 6x9’s and replaced with audiofrogs and unhooked the tweeters in the dash corners and replaced with gs10’s.

· Registered
611 Posts
That is a good question. Never checked it as a audio shop down in Florida installed everything for previous owner. Never noticed the pops until I switched out the alpine speakers to the audiofrog speakers. I kept existing wiring and just unhooked the 6x9’s and replaced with audiofrogs and unhooked the tweeters in the dash corners and replaced with gs10’s.
Hmmm. I'd say you may have a strand of wire grounding to a speaker basket or something, but you'd be having WAY more issues than an occasional pop or hiss.

I'd start by ensuring the HU is properly grounded. If it's hooked to harness gnd, check the resistance between that and chassis gnd. If hooked to chassis, make sure it's BARE metal...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.