DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Throughout the years I've had a lot of stereos/combinations. I have always had small static in the tweeters during certain instruments/frequencies like an isolated violin or a flute for example. It's usually very small but very distracting.

Is this a result of not enough power? (I have plenty of power going to them) Bad wiring? Passive crossovers? Do I need better RCAs or wiring? Can something else be grounded? Is it distortion or is it electrical? It sounds like electrical but it's only on certain frequencies usually when no other instruments are being played.

I'd give my setup but this has been a recurring problem in my humble car audio career. Different cars, amps (nice enough), speakers (comps usually in the $300-$400 range) - this always seems to be a problem.

Any suggestions, education or help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
From a search on the web . .

quote>
Have you tried them on a different amp?? Might be worth a shot. I was testing my amp today and it sounded like I had a blown tweeter, but it was actually the amp distorting badly in the high frequencies.

Tony.

and this ...

Hi,

I noticed that small differences in the crossover / the frequency response over a certain frequency range can have a large influence on perceived "harshness" , while more gross aberrations go by unnoticed elsewhere.

In the 1-3kHz region, even 0.5 - 1 dB difference in level, or a small peak (1-2 dB) in frequency response, can turn the system from natural to unpleasant sounding. Given that frequency responses of real life speakers are flat at best within a 3 dB band, an unfortunate little peak might cause your problem. You might try to play with level (L-pad) or purposely tweak the crossover (read, slightly misalign it) to fix that.

If you have measurement capability, this will help identify possible targets. As for level, when I set the level in my tweeters MLS/FFT measurements were practically useless. Unless heavily averaged the differences were hardly visible on screen, and looked insignificant at any rate. But 1 dB less on the tweeter made the difference in my system.

quote>

Is it in both tweeters ?
have you tried switching the left side to the right side ?

could it be clipping ?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it's both tweeters. Gains are all the way down. This is kind of a general question as I've had this problem on multiple stereos/cars.

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
Can you switch amps ?

can you use a different source ?

testing may help you to figure it out , another set of tweeters may solve your problem also .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts