DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, this is my first post. I have had a problem with my PAC SWI PS working with my AVH head unit for quite some time. When I reprogram it, it will work for a short time, then go back to things like buttons doing wrong things, not working at all or a single press of the volume button running the volume continuously up or down.

I opted to get my son an Axxess because of this and installed his the same way, using ground off the radio harness and using tap-type connectors to access the correct wires. He hasn't had a problem since, so I ended up picking up an Axxess unit for myself (still in package). While doing further research on this, two things came up.

1. Their instructions say specifically not to use tap connectors because it changes resistance.

2. Their instructions say use a separate chassis ground, rather than the one in the radio harness.

I then looked at the PAC instructions more carefully but couldn't find any such warning. Because mine functions so sporadically (and even occasionally works correctly) my guess is this is a bad unit. That my son's unit works perfectly (even though wired without heed to their warnings) further corroborates this. But before I take the Axxess out of the package I wanted to ask if my problems could be from the warnings listed above, even though they weren't issued from PAC.

I find it hard to imagine stripping a middle section of the wires and soldering a new wire to it. The wires are very small and in a tight bundle with other wires, plus they don't extend very far out of the relatively tight cavity that is the radio's home. Stripping and soldering both seem like they would be very, very difficult without damaging the wire I was working with and/or one of the other tightly bundled wires.

My other thought was to somehow get access behind the steering wheel and run a couple new wires altogether from there in order to have a solid connection.

Thanks for any thoughts y'all have on this!

·
Registered
466 Posts
I’d just go ahead and put the aswc and get it over with, and yes, most times it doesn’t program when the radio harness ground or tap connectors is used

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’d just go ahead and put the aswc and get it over with, and yes, most times it doesn’t program when the radio harness ground or tap connectors is used
So, two questions. 1. Did I just get lucky with my son's installation? 2. What is your recommended method of tapping into the vehicle wiring given the thin gauge, the tight wire cluster, and the small workspace?

The ground won't be an issue, as I can just run a line to my seat bolt or something. Tapping into an existing wire is a bigger problem (unless using the wire tap connectors).

·
Registered
466 Posts
Sometimes it work with the harness ground so try that first and if the stripper doesn’t have the small gauge fitting for the wires, use the cutting section of your crimper to slowly and carefully peel away the insulation. And you don’t have to solder the wires if the space is tight, just tap into the wires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sometimes it work with the harness ground so try that first and if the stripper doesn’t have the small gauge fitting for the wires, use the cutting section of your crimper to slowly and carefully peel away the insulation. And you don’t have to solder the wires if the space is tight, just tap into the wires
I'll see what I can do. It's not a matter of my tools not having the slot for the wire gauge. It's more a matter of isolating the two wires from the rest of the bunch. I may have to use a razor blade. I'll play around with it and see what I can do. I'll also have to remove the tap connector that's already on, which is another matter. What I'll probably end up doing is using the existing taps and see if it works for the Axxess, and if not go from there. Thanks for the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts