DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been following mobile audio for a number of years, but I remember that the ESX Quantum amps from years back were one of the best amplifiers a person could buy, especially for the money. I have been reminded of them recently and have some questions.

Is it correct that they were designed by Stephen Mantz of Zed Audio?

Is this the same guy that builds the Kronos and Leviathan amps at Zed Audio Corporation today?

Do these new amps have the same quality and power that the ESX Quantum amps had back in their day? Or when it's time for me to buy amplifiers again, do I need to hunt down some old ESX-Q's in order to find some amazing amplifiers?

Have there been any new players in the field since then that will rival the ESX Quantum amps?

·
Registered
363 Posts
yup they assemble the kronos and leviathan which i use..while they are not as small as other class d they pack wtf power for its size and it allows for alot of headroom
i briefly tested the leviathan and they sounded pretty good with some proper tuning you would be hardpressed to tell a difference sonically

·
Registered
363 Posts
with the dls i used before or any amp for that matter..

once you tune and adjust ur eq properly you probably wouldnt be able to tell the difference and many guys on the forum will agree with me on that...

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Buy the Leviathan and I will trade you my ESX Q60.4 and Q175.2 straight up for it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
i myself considered changing out the leviathan for some new amps but i see myself keeping that leviathan for a long long time...

its very flexible and the headroom on it is fantastic!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The leviathan looks like a great way to power fronts, rears, and a sub, but I would have to find a used one. I don't think I would pay $600 for a car amplifier unless I were quite wealthy.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I'm not going to be a douche, but I suggest you do a search here about the Kronos/Leviathan "quality" before you trade away some amps that actually are well built.

·
Registered
312 Posts
there were issues with first run leviathans.

but all the wrinkles have since been ironed out.

i waited until the issues were fixed until I purchased mine, and I have now been running a Kronos and Leviathan for a bit now with no issues at all.

and yes OP, it is Steve Mantz that designed both of these amps.
if you actually call their number and inquire about the amps, you can speak to steve directly.

i wouldn't hesitate to buy Zed again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts