DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be starting on my sub box here in a few days i hope, and i was wondering what was the most logical way of building a box that incorporates both MDF flat panels as well as curves and such. As well as attatching the pulled tight fleece without having a horrible finish when all is said and done....as well as the strongest possible way of mending the two materials.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/2040000-2040999/2040800_23_full.jpg

The Sub is in the center...DX-28 and voltmeter on bottom left, Amps on each side of the sub, The box will be f-glass and MDF, as well as extend to the rear on the right side to allow for more airspace. As of now i'm not sure how large it is....., i'm just hoping it will be around 3-4cf and i will be happy....any larger that that and i will end up porting it and tuning it very low, mid 20's to low 20's.

Is this a very strange box to design and build and how should i go about attempting this, The box will look awesome if i can pull this off. A false floor will cover the spare tire (will be in the spare tire hole (reason it will be so hard)) and box on the right and equip on the left. Spare tire and equip will need to be accessed if need be. Amps will be mounted as to only expose the heatsinks. And the hatch cover will be put back on...to cover the area b/w the window and the back seat, so that no one can see what is back there.

My biggest worries is getting the box in and out of the car to work on, could i make it in sections, say like the side on the right that extends out....to attach to the larger part of the box some how so that i can put it in in pieces, but still keep it EXtreemly airtight and solid. Also i will be stretching fleece over only small portions of it, namely around the sub (entire front/top of the box around sub and all the way left and right to meet the amps as well as down to the spare tire well, where a small piece of MDF will go b/w the amps to add a solid surface for the sub to sit on as well as extend out on the right). Fleece will also wrap around the rear portion of the spare tire hole so that the tire can be taken out easily. Those places are basically it, so should i cover them in fleece and resin it, then go back over it and apply layers of f-glass matting and resin again. The rest of the box will be MDF. The entire box will need to be extreemly sturdy, a Tempest will be going in it.

So suggestions...thoughts about what i'm thinking of doing....i'm very intent on this design as i htink it will be most aesthetically pleasing as well as functional.

BTW the car sounds fantastic up front, Seas CA18's and LPG 26's....still need to do lots of tuning and finish up some ensoliting on the front as well, This project is turning out ALOT better than i ever thought. Car is still gutted though, will be until i can get a good bit of time to finish up front, and get ahold of a pair of a-pillars to mod.

Sorry for the lengthy post, very intrested in how this will be turning out...can't wait to start.

·
Registered
531 Posts
use mdf for the bottom....and the sides....and the part that goes against the back seat....

i would screw/glue all that together....the mount the ring for your sub....using plumber strap or dowels...and the same with your mounts for amps/crossover.....

the wrap all that in fleece.....you'll have to get clever to get the contours you want....placing some dowels in certain spots as a guide for the fleece.....and once it's all in place...staple that **** down :)

and go nutso with resin....

·
Registered
531 Posts
you could also use spray glue on the flat mdf pieces.....

remember....you can fill in a lot of stuff with bondo if need be :)

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
For some reason I could not get my digi to work properly. But what I did was wrap the fleece cloth around the side and stapled it, then went back and stapled the edge of the MDF (the 3/4" edge). Once I had about 3 layers of glass/resin on, I used a flap disc to remove the fabric and glass from the sides. The resin will soak into the wood creating a strong bond, plus the staples were still left in the 3/4" edge. I will try to take some pics again today. I think the battery was too low.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.