DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

· Registered
1,902 Posts
Just a general announcement. SI is selling their SQL sub for Black Friday pricing at $279. Is that a good deal? This subwoofer gets rave reviews from many members. Even cheaper if you have a credit card that is giving 5% cashback with PayPal.
How are you getting 5% cash back? I only get 5% back with my Amazon card at Amazon and Whole foods. I’m always looking for a credit card with high cash back for other places..

· Registered
1,157 Posts
I’ve heard you’re better off running two of these - and they need 1000 watts each right?

Anyone tried just one?

· Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How are you getting 5% cash back? I only get 5% back with my Amazon card at Amazon and Whole foods. I’m always looking for a credit card with high cash back for other places..
Discover and Chase Freedom Flex changes their quarterly cashback quarterly. I think my Freedom Flex is offering 5% cashback this quarter for PayPal.

· Registered
2020 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
232 Posts
I have one in a sealed enclosure being poweredby an ARC audio xdi 1100.1 in my truck and have zero complaints. I'm not an spl guy, but I will turn it up from time to time and it will absolutely pound. It sounds great at low levels and high. I can't imagine "needing" two.

· Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have one in a sealed enclosure being poweredby an ARC audio xdi 1100.1 in my truck and have zero complaints. I'm not an spl guy, but I will turn it up from time to time and it will absolutely pound. It sounds great at low levels and high. I can't imagine "needing" two.
I have that exact same amp. How large is your sealed enclosure?

· Registered
2020 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
232 Posts
Motor vehicle Vehicle Window Automotive design Plant
Mine is tiny. I had to squeeze it in behind my rear seat in a mega cab. I believe I was roughly .65 cu feet net. This was a test fit with the bracket to make sure it lined up properly, it isn't visible anymore.

· Registered
622 Posts
these really function best in sealed boxes correct?
I’ve heard you’re better off running two of these - and they need 1000 watts each right?

Anyone tried just one?

Here's an enclosure I built for one. During an overnight vehicle rebuild and tune.

2.1ft^3 tuned to 22 Hz.

In-car SPL was 135 dB at 31 Hz on 276 Watts. At the head rest. MECA.

Slope Rectangle Font Pattern Parallel

Wood Interior design Shelf Gas Bookcase

Car Motor vehicle Output device Automotive design Automotive tire

Even though the software showed a peak at about 23 Hz, that's anechoic. Here's in-vehicle response with no EQ. Just a 70 Hz LR4.
Audio equipment Font Technology Electronic device Machine

It did well.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Light Automotive design

White Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Hand Hood Automotive lighting Finger Gas

· Premium Member
800 Posts
I bought 2 of them the last time the went on sale for $280. Currently awaiting a custom ported box for them :)

· Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's an enclosure I built for one. During an overnight vehicle rebuild and tune.

2.1ft^3 tuned to 22 Hz.

In-car SPL was 135 dB at 31 Hz on 384 Watts. At the head rest. MECA.

View attachment 314360

Even though the software showed a peak at about 23 Hz, that's anechoic. Here's in-vehicle response with no EQ. Just a 70 Hz LR4.
Very impressive.

· Registered
1,902 Posts

2.1ft^3 tuned to 22 Hz.

In-car SPL was 135 dB at 31 Hz on 384 Watts. At the head rest. MECA.

View attachment 314360

View attachment 314361

View attachment 314362

View attachment 314363

It did well.

View attachment 314364

View attachment 314365

View attachment 314366
Nice port!! I couldn’t believe that low of a tune was possible until I saw that port! Lol that’s super cool

· Registered
622 Posts
Nice port!! I couldn’t believe that low of a tune was possible until I saw that port! Lol that’s super cool
The whole idea with that enclosure was "If there's information there to be played, we're going to play it."

So I tuned it in the dirt and let it eat. It doesn't unload and hit excursion limits below tuning, either. The 8 Hz note in Bass I Love You moved his entire liftgate and the sub ate it up.

The port is 13"H x 1.5"W. That's 19 1/2 in^2. Nick recommends 20 in^2 as minimum port area for a single SQL12.

Modeling software will scream at you about port velocity and say the port is too small. Of course the software said it wouldn't play flat, either. *shrug

At SQ listening levels port area/velocity isn't a concern because you're not actually driving the sub to the point where port velocity becomes an issue.

We also didn't hear port noise when running the sub hard with the bass turned up. The transition from the inner port wall to the enclosure baffle has a huge impact on the amount of turbulence as air enters/exits the port.

I use elliptical radius bits on the mouths of my ports. They work really well. I actually prefer them over round-overs.

· Registered
11,370 Posts

Anyone tried just one?
That tends to come from just one person here, and while he is very knowledgeable, i think he is a bit overzealous with his power recommendations :)

· Registered
2,543 Posts
That tends to come from just one person here, and while he is very knowledgeable, i think he is a bit overzealous with his power recommendations :)
I think I know who you're talking about... 🤪

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.