DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
21 - 40 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Honda Accord EXL 2.0 GB 3way doors GB40/10 centre Helix M4dsp/M6 Sundown salt MMats + more
903 Posts
Run both in a sealed box. I too was inhappy with 1 in a 1 cubic foot box on 1500-2000 watts then I double power and added a second one still sealed. Them things are all you need unless your trying to crack your body panels. What type of car.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I did some quick calculations and at 5.52 cf net tuned to 32 hz I could go up to 72 square inches of port that would be 50 percent more port area. Will that meet our goals? My usable dimensions are 29.5 wide internal 14.5 high internal 28.5 deep internal.
Going bigger on box size creates box gain at the tuning frequency and a concurrent increase in excursion as well. Gives you a "one note wonder" at the tuning frequency and if coupled to cabin gain is the normal practice for SPL burps for maximum SPL at one frequency at the expense of all others.

With all that being said - what you want is to shoot for about 2.5 cuft airspace and use the rest of space for a folded or labyrinth port tuned in the 28-32Hz range. You don't need more than 50-60 in² port area even at 2kW per driver.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
ok another calculation 3.84 cf net total with a port 14.5 x 6.5 equaling 94.25 square inches of port with 3.25 end correction for the turn in the port and the total needed port length is 53.5 minus that 3.25 equals 50.25 total inches of port length that gives me 7.75 inches from the nearest wall of the enclosure and ends up with a tuning of 32 hz. So each subwoofer will see 1.92 cf net. Hows that look?

·
Registered
2018 Honda Accord EXL 2.0 GB 3way doors GB40/10 centre Helix M4dsp/M6 Sundown salt MMats + more
903 Posts
If your going to build a box like that for those subs might as well buy a pre fab like this ⬇.

·
Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Sonata V6
681 Posts
Run both in a sealed box. I too was inhappy with 1 in a 1 cubic foot box on 1500-2000 watts then I double power and added a second one still sealed. Them things are all you need unless your trying to crack your body panels. What type of car.
Do you mean you added a second 1cf box for the additional driver or add the second driver to the same 1cf box?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Truth be told I'm running 400 watts probably after box rise because I'm using a Phoenix gold xenon 400.1 which makes the same power between 1-4 ohms. Based on a previous setup I had in the car I'm probably hitting 128 dB right now. The car is a 2019 Nissan versa sv horrible for spl from what I can tell. I Have a tramps bass 3 k that does that power at .5 ohms which would work with my two si sql 12s since they are both d2 subs but I'm going to use a dmm to dial them back to 2 k total.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Do you mean you added a second 1cf box for the additional driver or add the second driver to the same 1cf box?
I added a second SQL in a pre-fab dual sealed box 1.1 each. And ran my amp at 1ohm instead of 2ohm . That's where I'm settling and having a box built for those 2 soon.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Truth be told I'm running 400 watts probably after box rise because I'm using a Phoenix gold xenon 400.1 which makes the same power between 1-4 ohms. Based on a previous setup I had in the car I'm probably hitting 128 dB right now. The car is a 2019 Nissan versa so horrible for spl from what I can tell.
Yea sedans suck when it comes to bass. Especially higher bass frequencies.unless u go IB or seal off your trunk and fire forward.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Truth be told I'm running 400 watts probably after box rise because I'm using a Phoenix gold xenon 400.1 which makes the same power between 1-4 ohms. Based on a previous setup I had in the car I'm probably hitting 128 dB right now. The car is a 2019 Nissan versa sv horrible for spl from what I can tell. I Have a tramps bass 3 k that does that power at .5 ohms which would work with my two si sql 12s since they are both d2 subs but I'm going to use a dmm to dial them back to 2 k total.
My Single SQL12 sealed in 0.85 cuft net on Taramps Smart 3k at 2 ohms for the full 3kW output has been fine for a year now. I don't rave with it and I know what "hot coil" smells like so I throttle back and give it time to cool between runs - I DO NOT recommend running a single SQL12 on 3kW for more than a song or two without time to cool between. But with that being said you need to try more than 400W before deciding to go ported. Ported is fine and the last box you posted:
ok another calculation 3.84 cf net total with a port 14.5 x 6.5 equaling 94.25 square inches of port with 3.25 end correction for the turn in the port and the total needed port length is 53.5 minus that 3.25 equals 50.25 total inches of port length that gives me 7.75 inches from the nearest wall of the enclosure and ends up with a tuning of 32 hz. So each subwoofer will see 1.92 cf net. Hows that look?
1.92 cf net each at 32 Hz would absolutely pound at the port frequency and work just fine even on 1.5kW per Sub as long as you keep an eye on thermals.

Reactions: ItsonlyaHONDA

·
Registered
903 Posts
Yes it will handle 3k and sound amazing doing it. But like stated above not for very long before you can star smelling it. I did once on a day trip and after around 45 min with volume around 3/4 it started to smell so I turn it down and let it rest. Kinda scared me at first cuz the last time I smelled voice coil that sub didn't survive (kicker). So I pulled it out when I got home. It looked good still but waited to get the second SQL to run it again. I've been running 3k to them daily and theyll handle it all day long and damn they hit hard and sound fantastic. I've ran the 2 for hours on 3k and have not smelled them get hot.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Rectangle Slope Font Line Plot

Rectangle Slope Line Font Plot

Rectangle Font Slope Line Parallel

Rectangle Slope Font Line Plot

·
Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Sonata V6
681 Posts
I added a second SQL in a pre-fab dual sealed box 1.1 each. And ran my amp at 1ohm instead of 2ohm . That's where I'm settling and having a box built for those 2 soon.
Thanks! I have an SQL-12 in 1cf sealed. Cheap prefab box for now. Overall pretty happy with it, but considering a better sealed box or maybe ported. Even considering a trunk baffle IB, but lot easier to try some boxes first.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Thanks! I have an SQL-12 in 1cf sealed. Cheap prefab box for now. Overall pretty happy with it, but considering a better sealed box or maybe ported. Even considering a trunk baffle IB, but lot easier to try some boxes first.
That's what I did, my SQL has had 3 different sized pre fab sealed boxes before settling with the size that fits my need. 1.1 after displacement. Eventually I'll have a dual 12" built out of birch.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Good read and tests. Love to see experiments like this.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've been running ported boxes forever and considering building a box for a couple of these sql-12's... I've had the same dual 12" kicker comp ported prefab for like 14 years and at this point it is the 'lowest' part of my system. It has been taking 900rms for a while and really pounds (and gets low with some eq), but it struggles with really fast passages. It sounds great for rap, of course, I listen to all types of music. Do you think 2 of these 12's in a sealed box would really do the trick?

21 - 40 of 120 Posts