DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! new here and had an issue I can't seem to figure out. A couple days ago my car stereo (Boss BV9976B) was fine then without any real warning the sound from the stereo(even the volume knob which makes a clicking sound when adjusting) stopped. I still get sound to my subs and have checked all the fuess to my knowledge without any problems. Ive checked all wiring connection to the harness and they all seem fine. Any ideas other than the stereo shorted(It still functions perfectly and I feel like the fuse on the stereo would blow before that)

Extra information: When the sound went out, it also blew the fuse to my dashboard lights and parking lights twice(replaced it the same day, then the next day it blew again)

·
Premium Member
4,514 Posts
How did you check the wiring again?

·
Registered
63 Posts
A lot of folk aren't going to get past the word Boss. Boss makes money by selling placebos to high school kids and the equivalent. Ideally, buy something different.

I know there are a lot of positive reviews on Amazon. Everything gets good reviews nowadays.

·
Premium Member
4,514 Posts
A lot of folk aren't going to get past the word Boss. Boss makes money by selling placebos to high school kids and the equivalent. Ideally, buy something different.

I know there are a lot of positive reviews on Amazon. Everything gets good reviews nowadays.
Better to learn on a Boss.

All the fuses blowing out can also be closer to the battery... ?
Checking the I suppose is a start.

Something shorted somewhere, (a bigger fuse can turn the whole harness into a smoking mess, or a fire).

Best is a volt meter and someone that know what they are doing.

·
Registered
920 Posts

Well, thats very helpful. OP, if you are having problems troubleshooting, take the simple route, and pull the unit out of the car, and bench test. If that goes well, you'll know the issue lies in your wiring somewhere. A little more information on your system setup will go a long way on here for those trying to help online as well. Many people come in looking for help, but the reality of it is, Its very difficult to do without being hands-on.

·
Registered
633 Posts
U'r not using the term "car stereo" correctly. The Boss in your system is more commonly referred to as a head unit, or HU for short. Just trying to help u learn the lingo, as it will make it easier for us to help u.

Anyway, is your Boss HU connected directly to the speakers? Or is it connected to an amp that powers the speakers?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, thats very helpful. OP, if you are having problems troubleshooting, take the simple route, and pull the unit out of the car, and bench test. If that goes well, you'll know the issue lies in your wiring somewhere. A little more information on your system setup will go a long way on here for those trying to help online as well. Many people come in looking for help, but the reality of it is, Its very difficult to do without being hands-on.
I understand that. the car is an '03 Malibu. The HU is wired straight to the speakers and to an external amp that goes into a sub box.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
I understand that. the car is an '03 Malibu. The HU is wired straight to the speakers and to an external amp that goes into a sub box.
My guess is one of the wire connections behind the HU came loose and it intermittently touching ground.

·
Premium Member
4,514 Posts
My guess is one of the wire connections behind the HU came loose and it intermittently touching ground.
The other candidates are where the wires go around sheet metal and through grommets. Same thing as above, but further away from the HU.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts