1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I have a hard time believing that tiny Stetsom can make 1kW as effortlessly or as reliably as the JL.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why is it so hard to believe that the tiny Stetsom amp could make 1Kw as effortlessly or as reliably as the JL?

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
History for one. Before you posted the link I'd never even heard of Stetsom and it took me a minute to realize it wasn't the hat maker...

FWIW, the 4000SE is RATED at 4K but they'll make considerably more than that if your power supply can keep up. ;) But if you onlyy need about 100 Watts a 2300SE will do a rated 1300 at 4 Ohms mono, a pair of 500.1 Minis at 2 Ohms will do a solid 1000 Watts, the PDX 1.1000 is another option as well. There's lots of options.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will any of the amps that you mentioned do rated power @ 12.6V?
2300SE 61% (Efficiency at rated 2ohm Stereo) and pulls 184amps @ 1ohm, I'll pass
PDX 1.1000 does rated power @ 14.4V not rated for 1 ohm
Thank you for the options.

The stestom puts out 1513Wrms @ 1ohm with 12.6V and 95% efficient.
The JL Audio puts out 1000 W RMS @ 1.5 ohm - 4 ohm (11V-14.5V).

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
HA! 95% percent efficient? Does that little bastard not put out ANY heat? Now I'm REALLY skeptical.

^^THAT little thing? How can it have the parts count to make that power reliably? Also, at 144A current draw, you expect us to believe that that little brick sucks back that much juice and 95% of it DOESNT make heat?

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Will any of the amps that you mentioned do rated power @ 12.6V?
2300SE 61% (Efficiency at rated 2ohm Stereo) and pulls 184amps @ 1ohm, I'll pass
PDX 1.1000 does rated power @ 14.4V not rated for 1 ohm
Thank you for the options.

The stestom puts out 1513Wrms @ 1ohm with 12.6V and 95% efficient.
The JL Audio puts out 1000 W RMS @ 1.5 ohm - 4 ohm (11V-14.5V).
The 4000SE actually makes LESS power with more voltage but everything else is rated at 14.4V AFAIK.

And I agree with the above. There is no way that amp in the picture is making 1000 Watts andis 95% efficient. Correction 1500Watts??? Hell no. Not out of that amp. It takes what, 8 gauge power and ground?? There's a reason amps that make a real 1000-1500 cost so much more than the Stetsom. And what's the big deal with 1 Ohm?? If you can run 1 Ohm you can also run 4 Ohm which will stress the amp less as well as maintain better control over the sub. If the 4 Ohm load will get you the power you need why bother with 1 Ohm?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
The thing about Stetsom is they DO actually put out the rated power into the low impedance loads. Stetsoms are getting a big following in the burp SPL contests. My buddy has one in his truck. It makes above rated power, gets hotter than the sun and given the low loads it runs with the heat produced, has the life expectancy of an annual.

Low loads for daily driving will kill the amp because there is just not enough heat sink to deal with the heat. And I am not putting them down. it does its job and puts out a crap ton of power.

As for efficiency, the best we could get was a real world (measured by us)87%. Not bad but not 95%

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
I wanna see those tests results because I'll tell you flat out, I don't believe it.

Also, a great deal of amps will make more than rated power for a couple of seconds during a burst. That doesn't make them worth buying.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Based on their website, they seem to be very successful in the SPL market. I wonder what the SQ of their amps is like. It would be interesting to have someone knowledgeable analyze their amplifier circuitry to see why they seem to getting such good power output. Amplifier design is about compromise - heat, efficiency, cost, power output, S/N, frequency response, distortion are all being balanced and, based on the design goals, some factors will suffer as a result of maximizing the others.

That said, Arc Audio has their mini series, which does pretty amazing power in a very small footprint and I've seen pics of their next gen amps that will be even smaller so it is possible ... I'd still like to see a review though ...

Also, I notice the OP happens to be a Stetsom dealer. Nothing like stirring up some controversy to get a product line that is relatively new to the USA noticed. :) Excellent strategy!

FWI, their "radiation" logo looks very similar to that of Fusion (from Australia). They might have some trademark issues if Fusion has registered that trademark.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Stetsom (or is it SOundDigital?) claims a 20-8kHz bandwidth as "fullrange", so we can guess what the SQ is like.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Stetsom (or is it SOundDigital?) claims a 20-8kHz bandwidth as "fullrange", so we can guess what the SQ is like.
Thats not upsetting though. How long has it been since full range class D amps have truly been available? And only recently in the last couple of years has it been done with any success by a couple of companies.

It IS a burp amp. iirc, the set up is similar to kickers Warhorse in concept. Orangelss explained it to me. i told my buddy and he bought one for his truck. Produces bass just fine. I wouldn't put it on my mids and highs though.

·
11,394 Posts
Believe the Stetsom and Soundigital power...both are extremely popular amps in the SPL world and do the power they are rated for.

You are in the SPL section talking about the SQ of an amp? WTF cares?

·
Registered
151 Posts
fail.

most people cant hear the difference between 2% and 10% distortion at 1kw or more and most amps will put out relatively low distortion if they're not being clipped. super low distortion amps really only shine with similar quality equipment in well done installs.

personally, id do the stetsom. they're proven to be reliable, and unless you're getting that jl used for 200 or less i wouldn't bother. yes jl amps are nice but you're also paying for the name. there are plenty of brands out there with matching build quality that are cheaper. do the research. jl has the convenience factor for noobs who cant match up ohm loads and a few relatively unnecessary features...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very Interesting points, thank you all for your insights. If you have an opinion, I welcome it.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts