DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
And for good reason! Arc kills Stetsom in every way, especially sound quality and control of subs! Kids wanting tons of power but not willing to pay for quality go with brands like Stetsom or Sundown, IMO.
My originally quote was comparing the 1k5h to the 4000SE and it should read "That is like 4 times the power lol and probably 7 times the price for the stetsom 1k5h"(just got a price quote on the 4000SE), but I guess if you want to get an amp that does similar power then you would have to compare stetsoms' 4k2D to the 4000SE.
But when you are looking to power ie.. spl competitions, you are looking for the best bang for your buck. Sorry to say that at a price of 3k many competitors would pass on 4000Wrms when you can easy get 10k+wrms for that price. just my $.02.

Now for your everyday person who has a 4k+ substage then an amp of this caliber may be a better suggestion.

But I think that discussion can go on and on.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
No,I am not a dealer for JL Audio. Almost anything electronic that is produced in Asia can be found in the Houston Flea Market. So I guess you are right about you deserve what you get.

·
Registered
114 Posts
So your judging these amps and trying to choose one based on the specs alone? Have you heard either JL or Stetsom installed in a vehicle? I don't even think these two amps should be compared. You should be comparing the JL 1000 to maybe like a SD 1000 or 1500. Ummm LOL I can't believe these two amps are being compared. Just get a JL and call it the day. You'll be happy with the output.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
And for good reason! Arc kills Stetsom in every way, especially sound quality and control of subs! Kids wanting tons of power but not willing to pay for quality go with brands like Stetsom or Sundown, IMO.
Whoa whoa whoa... Easy on Sundown. Will gladly let you swap my amp and compare vs a Arc. Or my Son's or brother's.

We can do a blind test and you can tell me which one sounds better driving and at a stop. I have done this against a tru billet 2200 on a 4 ohm load among other amps. on several different subs.

I will pick Sundown anytime. Price and performance very hard to beat.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
So your judging these amps and trying to choose one based on the specs alone? Have you heard either JL or Stetsom installed in a vehicle? I don't even think these two amps should be compared. You should be comparing the JL 1000 to maybe like a SD 1000 or 1500. Ummm LOL I can't believe these two amps are being compared. Just get a JL and call it the day. You'll be happy with the output.
Judging on specs correct, as I have heard various amps from both companies installed in numerous vehicles. Have you heard any Stetsom amp installed in any vehicle?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I have heard many Stetsom here in Brazil, and compare to ARC, AUDISON, BRAX or any other top brand is just not apropriate in any way.
I can understand that if I were comparing multi-channel amps, but I think that you should be able to compare class D amps head to head.

·
Tuning is everything.
2,761 Posts
Unclear what the bold statement is meant to entail, but I want to thank you for your quick advertisement posting. If you would like to discuss the services that I offer I would be glad to discuss them via, e-mail or over the phone. This forum/thread is not the place.

Now back to the matter at hand:

I have decided to get the 1k5H after careful consideration, I will post a review after I have had some time to play with it.
Amazing! After careful consideration you chose to purchase the amp from the line you carry? :rolleyes:

If you were serious with some of your questions about when an amp makes 1/2 power, I would not want you tuning my car ever.

At the end of the day, I'd choose the JL amp. The main reasons for my choice? The plethora of 8+ year old / series JL amps floating around working flawlessly. The tuning capabilitys and input capabilitys of the amp. The tightly regulated power supply and capability to make the same power into a wide range of loads (most of us DIYMA guys switch subs like we change our underwear). Combine this with a smalish footprint, solid build quality (great power connections, rca terminals that are supported by the amps case, not just the circuit board), preamp outputs for feeding other amps, signal sensing turn on capability w/ remote turn on OUTPUT capability, selectable crossover slopes, and you have a winner.

The track record of the amp's designers doesn't hurt either (Jeff Scoon, Bruce Macmillan and co.). These were the guys who built PPI's ART series. Arguably the most reliable, and longest lasting mass produced car amp ever made.

None of this is to say that Stetsom doesn't make a good amp. I'm simply stating that JL has the track record.

Those that hate on JL, but love PPI Art series boggle my mind. :rolleyes: Those that hate on a product based on it's pricing also boggle my mind. It's like people have an agenda to prove that anyone that buys a product that is more expensive than their own is automatically overpaying. Bizare.

Car audio guys here seem to be the only one that does this to this degree.

EDIT**** I also find it hillarious that JL is the product that everyone compares themselves against, and establishes as the benchmark. Yet in the next breath, they are badmouthing the same benchmark. lol

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
The comparison was done between JL Audio and Stetsom because both amplifiers have the same topology (half-bridge) but that is where the similarities end as we have seen through out this discussion. Additionally, since both amps can do rated power @ 12.6V and are class D, I thought it would be an equitable comparison spec to spec as many people are familiar with both brands and have opinions one way or the other.
Quick Question: Has JL Audio held any SPL world records??, Has Stetsom held any SQ world titles?? Both companies produce great products designed to move speaker/sub woofers, and in my humble opinion every application is different.
For my particular application, I have the electrical in place to handle the voltage draw necessary to run the JL Audio amp 63.2 Vac(~45 Vdc) in place and the amperage draw from the Stetsom amplifier 72 amps. I just wanted to know which amplifier the general public would choose and why, before I made my decision.

Amazing! After careful consideration you chose to purchase the amp from the line you carry? :rolleyes:

Amplifier efficiency wins out in this case. I have not been convinced that the JL amp is a better use of resources.

If you were serious with some of your questions about when an amp makes 1/2 power, I would not want you tuning my car ever.

At the end of the day, I'd choose the JL amp. The main reasons for my choice? The plethora of 8+ year old / series JL amps floating around working flawlessly. The tuning capabilities and input capabilities of the amp. The tightly regulated power supply and capability to make the same power into a wide range of loads (most of us DIYMA guys switch subs like we change our underwear). Combine this with a smallish footprint, solid build quality (great power connections, rca terminals that are supported by the amps case, not just the circuit board), preamp outputs for feeding other amps, signal sensing turn on capability w/ remote turn on OUTPUT capability, selectable crossover slopes, and you have a winner. All great features, but not worth trading efficiency for; (50-57% vs 85-95%). Now if the JL amp was 85% efficient with the same features we would be having a very different discussion.

The track record of the amp's designers doesn't hurt either (Jeff Scoon, Bruce Macmillan and co.). These were the guys who built PPI's ART series. Arguably the most reliable, and longest lasting mass produced car amp ever made.

None of this is to say that Stetsom doesn't make a good amp. I'm simply stating that JL has the track record.

Those that hate on JL, but love PPI Art series boggle my mind. :rolleyes: Those that hate on a product based on it's pricing also boggle my mind. It's like people have an agenda to prove that anyone that buys a product that is more expensive than their own is automatically overpaying. Bizarre.

Car audio guys here seem to be the only one that does this to this degree.

EDIT**** I also find it hilarious that JL is the product that everyone compares themselves against, and establishes as the benchmark. Yet in the next breath, they are badmouthing the same benchmark. lol

·
Registered
831 Posts
Most amps I've seen that advertize 85% efficiency are at 4 ohms and 100hz or somesuch unrealistic point.

Until you read the fine print or see a third party evaluation I wouldn't bet on published efficiency specs. These things ARE limited by the laws of physics and often if things seem too good to be true they probalby are.... I would NOT expect real-world 85% efficiency out of any amplifier.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have the JL 1000.1 and never heard of the other one even with much recent research in 1k amps. I chose it mainly based on reputation of the company, reputation of it having near rated power, detailed subwoofer tuning features, and the fact that it is built like a brick shithouse and that I could use it as an anchor should it ever blow. A good owner reference is better mfg stats any day.

·
Tuning is everything.
2,761 Posts
The comparison was done between JL Audio and Stetsom because both amplifiers have the same topology (half-bridge) but that is where the similarities end as we have seen through out this discussion. Additionally, since both amps can do rated power @ 12.6V and are class D, I thought it would be an equitable comparison spec to spec as many people are familiar with both brands and have opinions one way or the other.
Quick Question: Has JL Audio held any SPL world records??, Has Stetsom held any SQ world titles?? Both companies produce great products designed to move speaker/sub woofers, and in my humble opinion every application is different.
For my particular application, I have the electrical in place to handle the voltage draw necessary to run the JL Audio amp 63.2 Vac(~45 Vdc) in place and the amperage draw from the Stetsom amplifier 72 amps. I just wanted to know which amplifier the general public would choose and why, before I made my decision.

What does this have to do with "What amplifier is your choice?"

Are you building an SPL vehicle?

Going gaga over amp efficiency is pretty pointless. If you want efficiency, run lower power through more woofers. There's your efficiency...

Most amps I've seen that advertize 85% efficiency are at 4 ohms and 100hz or somesuch unrealistic point.

Until you read the fine print or see a third party evaluation I wouldn't bet on published efficiency specs. These things ARE limited by the laws of physics and often if things seem too good to be true they probalby are.... I would NOT expect real-world 85% efficiency out of any amplifier.
Exactly. Amps become more efficient when driving higher loads due to lower power output. The JL does not have the ability to show these false specs since it makes the same output regardless of impedence.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the JL 1000.1 and never heard of the other one even with much recent research in 1k amps. I chose it mainly based on reputation of the company, reputation of it having near rated power, detailed subwoofer tuning features, and the fact that it is built like a brick shithouse and that I could use it as an anchor should it ever blow. A good owner reference is better mfg stats any day.
And it's reputation is well earned!! JL Audio: Facility Tour Pictures [audiojunkies]

·
Registered
59 Posts
From myspace 10-16-09

:rolleyes: :laugh:
Running a negative ad campaign uh...... That's what the people trying to gain a piece of the pie do. See: Apple to PC's, the Droid to the Iphone, Pepsi to Coke, Burger King to Mc Donalds. If your product is as good as you claim, let it do the talking and don't try to bring down other brands......

Nice find WRX.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
From myspace 10-16-09 (almost a month before the OP )

C3 Customs - (832)-892-8077 Calling out all JL Audio & Alpine Amp owners, try real power get A Stetsom Amp.
Mood: animated

:rolleyes: :laugh:

:confused: Where is the negative ad campaign, the Truth is: " You can buy more class D power for the same price with Stetsom then you can with a top of the class D from Alpine or JL Audio. Or you can buy equivalent reliable power for less. " :idea3:

Alpine Audio MRP-M2000 ($750):deal2:
1500 Watts RMS @ 4 ohms
2000 Watts RMS @ 2 ohms

Stetsom 2k5D (2 ohm version) ($600)
2200 Watts RMS @ 4 ohms
3300 Watts RMS @ 2 ohms

-------------------------------------------

JL Audio 1000/1v2 ($1100):deal2:
1000 Watts RMS @ 1.5 ohm - 4 ohm

Stetsom 1k6D (1 ohm version) ($500)
600 Watts RMS @ 4 ohms
1000 Watts RMS @ 2 ohms
1750 Watts RMS @ 1 ohms

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
The 1k5h has just come out very recently, no surprise you have not heard of it. Stetsom has been building quality amplifiers for 20 years, just a relatively new name in the US. The amps have been proved in the competition lanes and are known for doing rated power and more, if you have the electrical system in place.

61 - 80 of 106 Posts