DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
The difference is JL and Alpine have much more quality than the Stetsom.
I have to disagree with your statement as all 3 brands use high quality parts, with jl audio and alpine using build-house type architecture basically the same layout as you find in one of the general amp build-houses.

"Stetsom has a very unique build style which is why they are able to produce amps that can do outrageous numbers" -Mak3shiftAudio

·
Registered
59 Posts
Show us a tour of your facility, how bout some info on your R&D department. You pay for a good product..... See BMW, Audi, Lexus. Can you buy a Ford, or Chevorlet or Hyundai that has similar features as the beforeand mentioned?!? Yes. But they still aren't seen as the standard. You're brand is just another option, if someone doesn't have the funds, then your product may be the way to go. But me personally, I'd get a used JL amp before I got a Stetsom.

·
Vendor
1,814 Posts
And for good reason! Arc kills Stetsom in every way, especially sound quality and control of subs! Kids wanting tons of power but not willing to pay for quality go with brands like Stetsom or Sundown, IMO.
Whoa there... back up a second... what is this about my products not being quality ?

·
Tuning is everything.
2,761 Posts
:confused: Where is the negative ad campaign, the Truth is: " You can buy more class D power for the same price with Stetsom then you can with a top of the class D from Alpine or JL Audio. Or you can buy equivalent reliable power for less. " :idea3:

Alpine Audio MRP-M2000 ($750):deal2:
1500 Watts RMS @ 4 ohms
2000 Watts RMS @ 2 ohms

Stetsom 2k5D (2 ohm version) ($600)
2200 Watts RMS @ 4 ohms
3300 Watts RMS @ 2 ohms

-------------------------------------------

JL Audio 1000/1v2 ($1100):deal2:
1000 Watts RMS @ 1.5 ohm - 4 ohm

Stetsom 1k6D (1 ohm version) ($500)
600 Watts RMS @ 4 ohms
1000 Watts RMS @ 2 ohms
1750 Watts RMS @ 1 ohms
[C] JL Audio G-Max ($649.99)
600 W RMS x 1 @ 4 ohm
1200 W RMS x 1 @ 2 ohm

I'll take the balanced inputs, selectable crossover slope, and JL build quality for $150 over the relative unknown.

Heck, i'd take JL's J2 amp instead too.

JL Audio J2 1000.1 ($399.99)
400W x 1 @ 4 ohm
700W x 1 @ 2 ohm
1000W x 1 @ 1 ohm

Price is not everything. If you want to compete with JL or Alpine, how about telling us what makes your amplifiers better, instead of preaching how they're the same :rolleyes: for cheaper?

If Price was all that mattered, why not ditch your Stetsom's in favor of a Powerbass ASA1500.1DX ($399.99)
RMS Power (4 ohms) 325 watts x 1 channel
RMS Power (2 ohms) 750 watts x 1 channel
RMS Power (1 ohm) 1500 watts x 1 channel

Or heck, why not a Kole amplifier (boat anchor)?

I'll let you search that one out on your own...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Whoa there... back up a second... what is this about my products not being quality ?
Quality as far as tons of cheap power, sure, but comparing sonic subtleties and SQ sound quality of your amps to an SE4000 is just not even in the same ballpark. Look at how they are built, WHERE they are built, and the age group of the purchasers will also speak volumes. If you want your car to burp, which should be for beer, then your amps are fine. If you want an IASCA quality car with awesome staging and total control over a speaker, not so much. I've had a 3000, and a 3500 so I am not just talking blind here. Kids just want volume! There is a reason Arc SE amps cost so much!!!

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
I run an SAZ-1500D on a dvc 1 Ohm Digital Designs Sub [9512G], it bumps :D

wired it in series for a 2 ohm final load, I graduated from HS . . . in 1976 :eek:

Jacobs amps are fine for music listening :)

I'd bet from 80Hz and down there are not many who can tell you which amp , or which sub is playing if the field is level to begin with.

·
Vendor
1,814 Posts
Quality as far as tons of cheap power, sure, but comparing sonic subtleties and SQ sound quality of your amps to an SE4000 is just not even in the same ballpark. Look at how they are built, WHERE they are built, and the age group of the purchasers will also speak volumes. If you want your car to burp, which should be for beer, then your amps are fine. If you want an IASCA quality car with awesome staging and total control over a speaker, not so much. I've had a 3000, and a 3500 so I am not just talking blind here. Kids just want volume! There is a reason Arc SE amps cost so much!!!
Regarding my demographic -- I have ALOT of customers over 30-35 years of age. One of my online dealers sells almost exclusively to "older" customers (he sells packages to fit into certain model trucks). They certainly are not going around burping their vehicles. One customer in this group in particular routinely installs $100k+ home audio systems and doesn't have ANY complaints about the sound of his amps.

I have quite a few customers that are big-time into SQ... Nick the owner of Stereo Integrity comes to mind. Also, almost 100% of my customers in Israel as a great deal of them are running Morel or similar high end speakers and woofers with my amps for SQ purposes. Big power and burping is not a big thing there according to my distributor (I ship mainly four and two channel amps to Israel, some 1000Ds and 1500Ds as well). Many of these customers changed over from various other high end brand names and are QUITE satisfied.

Arc makes a fine amp... I can agree with that no question -- that does not change the fact that my products are also high quality.

If you are speaking about SQ so in depth why is that that the smallest amp you give as an example is a 3000-watt Class-D ? Sure, SPL is a very big market for Sundown -- but I do not come from an SPL background... I only started in SPL when I found such a large demand for my Class-D amps there due to the high power they produce and their reliability / efficiency.

PS: I am well aware of what it costs to make the SE4000 as I have discussed it with Robert Zeff... I think you are misleading yourself on how much it costs to build. It is a fantastic amplifier, though, incredible design by Mr. Zeff as usual.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Meh, some people get an extra couple inches of cock if they use certain high dollar brands. Even without any other reason than "this amp costs X number of dollars more than your amp, so it is obviously better." Same goes with speakers processors, car manufacturers etc. I try to look at total cost of ownership. If there is some audible reason to buy a high dollar amp over another fine. But most of these accusations are just based on purchase price (that which is high) and personal preference of what brand is perceived as cool or essque.

As stated before, My friends Stetsom 2K SOMETHIN SOMETHIN, puts out a ton of power for the size. My concern with it is heat. There is just not enough heatsink area to dissipate the heat running at the loads he runs daily in my opinion based on understanding heatsinks. the amp hasn't died. But my concern is lifespan. And it plays his music fine. He listens to predominantly rap. So lots o tones

·
Registered
831 Posts
>35 here. I'm OK with my Sundown amps. Really ANY amp will sound kind of like ass at 1 ohm anyway. For the money of a JL, buy a refurb SAZ3Kd and run it at 4 ohms. Plenty of power, very efficient, and good SQ.

OR if you really want to pay 400$ for 1KW just pick up the new Zed Kronos...at least you'll have the flexibility to use it full range and you can brag about your burr brown op-amps making more Sq on your subs. For fuck's sake... the marketing hype you people throw money at.

·
Vendor
1,814 Posts
As stated before, My friends Stetsom 2K SOMETHIN SOMETHIN, puts out a ton of power for the size. My concern with it is heat. There is just not enough heatsink area to dissipate the heat running at the loads he runs daily in my opinion based on understanding heatsinks. the amp hasn't died. But my concern is lifespan. And it plays music fine. He listens to predominantly rap. So lots o tones
If it's a 2K5D -- that is the best Stetsom amp I've played around with. It didn't give me any problems in testing at all... could just use larger power terminals.

I got similar power to the SAZ-2000D from it (of course the Stetsom was wired at it's 2 ohm rating and the 2000 at it's 1 ohm rating).

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
I don't think its the issue of the amp, it is the issue of using this forum as grounds to promote a product or company.

Your abusing your privilege to be a DIYMA member, I feel. And your website is re-freaking-diculous.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I called him. He has the 2k5D 1 ohmer. it is a tad over 1 foot long. like 13 inches or so. Rated at 3000 watts at 13.8v or something silly. he has it wired to a .5dcr load and the things little fan blows out air hot enough to pop popcorn after a listening session.

Just for the record, He had talked to whomever he bought it from regarding the wiring load. i understand wiring below rated loads will increase the heat.

I was shocked at the size. I was comparing it to my 1500D and my sons SAE 1000D . It was a tiny bit bigger than the 1000 but a couple of inches smaller than my 1500 iirc.

·
Vendor
1,814 Posts
IMHO... the Brazillian amps should be used at rated impedance and no lower. They are very high voltage designs and don't need to be or like to be wired down really low.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I am in the 35 + group running all Sundown amps and sub and I am certainly not going to hang my head because I don't run amps full of the mythical SQ pixie dust, it achieved my goal for sound and I didn't buy into some ad campaign bullshit :D

·
Registered
387 Posts
I don't think its the issue of the amp, it is the issue of using this forum as grounds to promote a product or company.

Your abusing your privilege to be a DIYMA member, I feel. And your website is re-freaking-diculous.
I don't know....they'll add Second Skin to my Exterior for a mere $1699.99. That's a penny cheaper than I can get it around here. :laugh:

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
:confused: Where is the negative ad campaign, the Truth is: " You can buy more class D power for the same price with Stetsom then you can with a top of the class D from Alpine or JL Audio. Or you can buy equivalent reliable power for less. "

Can you read? what you wrote says flat out that JL and Alpine don't make "real" power, like their specs are inflated. If that's not negative, I don't know what is.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
I think I qualify as a certified Arc nut-swinger and I think you're full of crap.

81 - 100 of 106 Posts