DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I am a dealer for Stevens Audio.....so keep that in mind while I am showing you these gorgeous speakers Eric Stevens (If you don't know, he founded Image Dynamics back in the day) designed for his new company, STEVENS AUDIO!!!

These speakers have been out for a few years now, but I don't think people either know about them or are considering them (and they should be).

I am building a demo car with these and thought I post a few pics so you can see the quality of these.....and they ooze quality!!!

The Active Set (no crossovers) MSRP is $589 and the Passive Set (with crossovers) MSRP is $699.

Please consider these for your next build and don't drool too much when looking at the pics.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most cars I've seen have silver accents inside. The Sinfoni Tempo/Grandioso, Hybrid, Focal Be, Scan silver series, Dynaudio Esotar2 110 and many more are also silver.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Most cars I've seen have silver accents inside. The Sinfoni Tempo/Grandioso, Hybrid, Focal Be, Scan silver series, Dynaudio Esotar2 110 and many more are also silver.
How does the Stevens compare to audio development or audiofrog?

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I sell both, and I would say the GB Series is better. But you also aren't comparing apples to apples. The Active Stevens Audio set is $589 MSRP and the Active GB60/GB15 is $1,348 MAP Pricing (not actual selling price for either) but you can see the sets you guys are comparing aren't comparable in price as the GB is more than 2X the price.

As far as other brands, like Audio Development (I am a dealer for them as well), this is impossible to answer as they have so many different lines.

What I can tell you is that you would be hard-pressed to find a better (or even comparable) sounding set at the same price point. I would honestly say that most $1,000 sets won't outperform these.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
My SA6cs set is a very good performing set.

I’ve installed about 5 sets of these now... they work very good. With a LR2 alignment the tweet and mid work remarkably good together.... I run mine at 3.5khz the tweet playsdown to like 1.8k crosses at 3.5khz LR2

The mid has warm mid almost like a polypropylene come mid but without the resonance of a poly cone.... it has none ... the mid seems to have a little tiny mode at 1.6k but it’s very small and is to be expected out of that type of driver and size... I play mine into the ringing and it’s fine ... I can only hear it balls to the wall loud listening...

Normal volume it’s very minute and substantially less modes than any polyglass type drivers of the same cost... way way way better driver the SA6 is very good...

It plays comfortably to 80 , doesn’t like to be driven at full power at 80hz with a phase or room issue causing destructive interference..but what driver does lol ...

Overall , and I’ve said it before ... I like this set better than the focal utopia M series...

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Great write up. Are you saying the sa6 had a tiny bit of ringing it are you using a 3 way? Are you running the 2 way up to 3.5?

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Great write up. Are you saying the sa6 had a tiny bit of ringing it are you using a 3 way? Are you running the 2 way up to 3.5?
When played at full blast there’s a small breakup at 1.6k ..... and it’s so so small and almost can’t even tell it’s there... and that’s with putting 200w into the little thing. At 125w I cant hear any ring at all...

I guess my point being , all speakers have a mode somewhere, there’s seem to be around 1.6k and it’s got to be driven pretty hard to even notice it... and keep in mind mine are big passed at 300 , so anyone running them to 80hz wouldn’t be able to put the kind of power I can anyway so it’s a non issue for most ppl... but it’s still there.

Yes I use a three way, the Stevens S6 plays 300-3500... I have a a set of mw172s running below 300. I also have3.5”s but those are not part of the mains. I’m using those as control speakers that play 110hz to 630hz and are turned way down and used for small small amounts of steering the waveform for the midbass.... and it works very good for that purpose.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Hmmmm, just beginning to think about an install in a 2015 Escape. Contemplating a c4cx in the center.. maybe a set of these would be a good fit for mb/tweets without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Great info. Isn't 2.6 around beaming?

Ps you are a badass for using a 6.5 in a three way
LOL thanks .... I install a large volume of components and a 3” speaker is way way too small to be crossed below 800hz and still be able to get nice n loud without driver damage within 12mo ..... problems with a 30w driver in a 2kw system... there’s a handful of 4” drivers up to the task , but 3” is just too little... there great for stock locations ...

So .... it seemed it wasn’t a choice it was the only way...

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
In my ever so humble opinion. I'm sure Eric's products are spot on. However, if he wants to actually take this seriously he should maybe setup a new web site and stop relying on a low traffic Facebook page to do his marketing. Even when on the Facebook page it is a pain to find info about the products.

That's my rant. I am done.

Ge0

Reactions: dcfis and bnae38

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
In my ever so humble opinion. I'm sure Eric's products are spot on. However, if he wants to actually take this seriously he should maybe setup a new web site and stop relying on a low traffic Facebook page to do his marketing. Even when on the Facebook page it is a pain to find info about the products.

That's my rant. I am done.

Ge0
I don’t think that’s what Eric is trying to do....
I’m just guessing here but I’ve been installing since 93’ and been in the industry and have known Eric for awhile since I was an ID dealer , and I am going out on a limb , but I don’t think he’s tryin to get rich off speakers... it’s more of a passion for him and his goal is to have the best speakers for cars, which he has always done since he stared making car audio equipment. All his stuff has always been top tier and none of his brands were largely pimped out smoke n mirrors... ID was largely successful because the product sold itself. ID was around way way way before it was largely recognized I remember clearly most ppl never heard of it for years , than it wasn’t just a recognized brand but a respected one.

Eric is nearing retirement now, his legacy is strong as one of if not the best car audio speaker designers and this line sure expresses that.

Being known is a secondary artifact of being the best. I don’t see that many Lamborghinis in traffic on my way to work... just sayin or any lambo dealers either

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I nearly said the same thing earlier. Having a website with easy to find information on products would be much more ideal.

I'm not a fan of Facebook.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I nearly said the same thing earlier. Having a website with easy to find information on products would be much more ideal.

I'm not a fan of Facebook.
If I want to find a hyped up shaver to trim my nut sack I go to Facebook. I don't shop for speakers on Facebook.

Ge0

·
Registered
132 Posts
I feel similar about lack of proper website and only on FB. However, Eric responded quickly and covered all my questions.

Get he is concentrating on the product but a web store would give more confidence.

Heck, for a set of speakers I’d be happy to set it up for him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts