DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Ive had these speakers since I beta tested them. I use them in both our competition cars. All the above reviews are spot on. IMO they are an excellent speakers set regardless of price point but at its price point its unmatched. I even have some prototype 3s, some different versions of tweeters that were considered and some Custom one off 10s made specifically for my install

Ive known Eric for little over 20 years. I was a die hard Image Dynamics Team member. Eric was Image Dynamics. Without Eric at the helm, ID is just a name,.
As others have pointed out, He isnt trying to get rich off Stevens Audio. Its something to keep his passion going but at the same time--he also has quite a bit of business and connections from his days at ID, so he has an established client base all over the World. Sales of Stevens products overseas is actually fairly consistent.
Also, Eric actually designs and builds speakers for other companies. He's designed speakers for A LOT of brands that people wouldnt even think that he had a connection to or with today and in the past.

I totally get the whole needs a website thing, Ive probably mentioned it to him several dozen times. But if hes doing as much business as he can handle now with no real plans to expand or grow--why bother?

Reactions: oabeieo

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Are the Stevens Audio products drop-shipped to customers and/or dealers directly from the build house?

Or does Eric keep all inventory/stock locally in CA and ship to his dealers & customers from there?

I also feel that Eric would benefit from a legit web site. He already has the domain name so I'm not sure what is holding him back?

Squarespace and several others make it dead easy to create a professional looking website complete with web shop.

I also don't completely buy into the theory that Eric produced these "just for the passion of it". Yes, he is obviously passionate about audio and speaker design seeing that he's been in this game and stuck to it for many, many years.

But no right-minded business person takes the time, effort, and expense to design, engineer, and have tooling made for a product, have it manufactured, and then is complacent with a lot of it just sitting on the warehouse shelves and not maximizing ROI and increasing sales along the way.

If he can afford to do that, more power to him and that is his prerogative.

But if he was passionate about creating this component set for car audio enthusiast masses, you'd think he would also be compelled to get it out into as many enthusiasts' hands as possible, or at least on their radar.

The fact that Jerry felt compelled to start this thread to inform the car audio enthusiast public regarding this component set is telling.

I understand that I.D., Zapco, and a few other old school American brands have quite a large following in Asia and in the EU as well. So perhaps he is selling a lot of these in those markets. I wouldn't know.

I know that Eric traditionally favors high-efficiency designs (and I do as well for the most part). And I've considered this 2-way component set a few times, but the lowish Qts for use in typical door locations as a 2-way has ultimately steered me to other options.

If the midwoofer had just a bit more xmax capability I might be okay with trying to compensate for the bottom end with XO and/or pushing the EQ a bit, like the original JBL GTi660 midwoofer.

Did Eric design these midwoofers more for sealed kick-panel installations where you'd also benefit a bit more on the low end from boundary loading? IDK

And sure, if you have the right subwoofer with clean upper-end extension, and can implement it properly in your vehicle, you can make these work.

But why did oabeieo ultimately just decide to only use the 6.5" as a midrange?

Side Note: I wish Eric had included impedance plots with the amplitude response graphs (which do look really good, BTW) and more complete measurements, including distortion, etc.

These do look really good on paper (other than the small quibbles I noted above) and the price is compelling if they do perform on par.

I do wish Eric and especially this brand could gain more wide-spread recognition in the car audio community.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Yeah ultimately it came down to a single speaker playing through the midrange from 300-2k has a much better phase responce.
And a 6.5” has a lot more SD than a 3” and a hell of a lot of power handling compared to a whimsy 3”..... so for me it was a no brainer.... but ultimately... the SA6 sounded bad ass by itself.... didn’t see a need to try and screw that up.

The car below about 425hz in most cars is where the comb filter issues require multiple speakers in multiple locations to over come the big dips caused by the room and where you sit in the room. So using an 8” in kick and 6.5s in doors was a logical choice .... if I could have got the SA6 location to reinforce properly down to 80hz I surly absolutely would have just used that set alone...

For a guy that wants a solid two way this set can’t be beat especially when price is concerned....

Remember adding a dedicated midrange can make the stage higher if you have a stock 3” location in the dash.... but you’ll have a plethora of phase issues between the midrange and midbass...unless you cross it low enough.... low enough means a 3” has poor power handling and your system is only as good as that 60w (if your lucky) usually 30w midrange...... poor little things just can’t keep up with the big boy midranges...unless you cross at like at least 800 or even 1k . With a shallow slope that could work good ...... like a BW6 at 1k would work... need I say the problems that come with a BW6 and crossing in the delicate midrange.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I'm really close to pulling the trigger on an active set. My only concern is with the tweets. Not so much a concern with the sa6 tweets as much as I prefer the sound of a larger format (love the sb29). I always find myself crossing them around 3k despite the fact that they could go lower, things just sound smoother/less ratty to me that way.

Where do the guys that use the sa6 set cross their tweets? How are you liking them?

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
I have run them around 2900 to 4200. No issues.
The Tweeters are quite nice. My only issue is that are quite big. I'm not a fan of huge tweeters.
But after some metal removal I got them recessed enough in my car. tweeter is only thing that I haven't changed in 3yrs w this install

Reactions: oabeieo and bnae38

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
That's all I need to hear, I'm in for an active set.

Reactions: Coppertone

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
I’m right on same page as mic , it’s a big tweet ... good luck fitting it into any factory sail.... if a car has a spot for a factory 2” or bigger it will fit no problem, otherwise custom..

As far as performance, using a LR2 the forward lobes match very well to the sa6 and the back chamber on the tweeter can be attributed to that. The set are very well matched to each other.

I use a LR2 at 3200 and it hits the spot for me. i Have always disliked the resonance from soft dome. And of course these tweets have a resonance just like any soft dome. However , that resonance is low enough that it’s largely unheard unless your really really playing very loud. Like any soft dome it fuzzes out a little bit and gets a tiny bit harsh.

WITH THAT SAID, this tweeter takes considerably more power without that breakup, like compared to an audio frog or morel or dynaudio for instance.... I actually am very much liking it and the 5k and up response is to die for... the highs are very crisp and clean lots of air

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yeah ultimately it came down to a single speaker playing through the midrange from 300-2k has a much better phase responce.
And a 6.5” has a lot more SD than a 3” and a hell of a lot of power handling compared to a whimsy 3”..... so for me it was a no brainer.... but ultimately... the SA6 sounded bad ass by itself.... didn’t see a need to try and screw that up.

The car below about 425hz in most cars is where the comb filter issues require multiple speakers in multiple locations to over come the big dips caused by the room and where you sit in the room. So using an 8” in kick and 6.5s in doors was a logical choice .... if I could have got the SA6 location to reinforce properly down to 80hz I surly absolutely would have just used that set alone...

For a guy that wants a solid two way this set can’t be beat especially when price is concerned....

Remember adding a dedicated midrange can make the stage higher if you have a stock 3” location in the dash.... but you’ll have a plethora of phase issues between the midrange and midbass...unless you cross it low enough.... low enough means a 3” has poor power handling and your system is only as good as that 60w (if your lucky) usually 30w midrange...... poor little things just can’t keep up with the big boy midranges...unless you cross at like at least 800 or even 1k . With a shallow slope that could work good ...... like a BW6 at 1k would work... need I say the problems that come with a BW6 and crossing in the delicate midrange.
Is the 800hz for a 3" recommendation only for SPL guys?...
I mean I have read many times for SQ (which is my goal) that lets say a Scan speak 10f can easily run from 300hz. Or even 250hz if you dont play very loud... Okay it is a 3.5" but still pretty small driver...
Or am I wrong here..

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I’m right on same page as mic , it’s a big tweet ... good luck fitting it into any factory sail.... if a car has a spot for a factory 2” or bigger it will fit no problem, otherwise custom..

As far as performance, using a LR2 the forward lobes match very well to the sa6 and the back chamber on the tweeter can be attributed to that. The set are very well matched to each other.

I use a LR2 at 3200 and it hits the spot for me. i Have always disliked the resonance from soft dome. And of course these tweets have a resonance just like any soft dome. However , that resonance is low enough that it’s largely unheard unless your really really playing very loud. Like any soft dome it fuzzes out a little bit and gets a tiny bit harsh.

WITH THAT SAID, this tweeter takes considerably more power without that breakup, like compared to an audio frog or morel or dynaudio for instance.... I actually am very much liking it and the 5k and up response is to die for... the highs are very crisp and clean lots of air
Really? I can't get anywhere near the limit of the gb15. Is it bigger than a gb15?

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
No no no
Gb10 or Gs10..... 1”

The gb15 is a completely different platform, that thing Is a beast and plays into the midrange.... not a comparison

I meant like a GB10 or a car audio version of the morel or dyn .... the 1” type , with no back chamber.....

Some of the home Morel’s and dynaudios would be up to par....

My point being .... it’s a big 1” that has a lot of good things going for it that other car audio 1” don’t.... if someone was to buy a 6”component set of like , even the ones that are far spendier (is that a word lol)

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Look ......
I would even go as far as to say it would stand up to the gb15 at certain things

Sorry my camera doesn’t take sexy pics like nicks does ....lol (where is skiz when you need him huh )

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Is that a gb10 or 15?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Been looking into purchasing a set of these Steven Audio. What 2”-3” midrange would you guys considering pairing with a set of these in an active set up? Trying to keep it under $300, Ive been looking at audiofrog gs25, audio dynamics ADMC334, morel ccwr254, open to options, what would you guys recommend? Thank you.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
I use Arc Audio Rs3 in my wife's BMW paired with SA65 for midbsss

21 - 36 of 36 Posts