DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been slow at the shop lately (it’s a slow time in car audio back to school)
Haven’t done a big system in a few weeks now so decided to order up
2sets of mb-6 6.5” Stevens midbass in 4ohm (they also come in 2ohm)

My set of 6ND430s and I absolutely loved those midbass, After installing sets of the Stevens in customer cars I liked how they played compared to the 6ND430.

Got them installed today and have to say one set up front and one set in back doors crossed at 80 with 1400w going to all four (2-alpine XA70F bridged) these small (big small there not tiny) 6.5” midbass put out a ton of sound and play like a boss to 70hz.

Here’s the part that made me make this post. Even with 350w per driver it keeps its composure. I can crank them up as loud as I want with no eq cuts at 70 or 80 and it dosent bottom or pop. The suspension seems to handle IB door install extremely well. I’m not speaker builder expert I know nothing on speaker design, I can tell this one has what one would want if high output midbass performance was needed on a 6.5”

To be completely honest two pairs of 6.5s in all the doors out performances a pair of 8s and keeps up with a pair of b&c 10s sealed in .6 ea. No joke it keeps up no problem. And being IB sounds better as there’s no resonance.

And another thing about this MB6 is the cone seems a little thick but still light weight, it’s thick paper pulp (correct me if that’s not right) seems to tame and damp any cone resonances that would normally be heard from a typical pro audio of the same size. I would guess about 90-91db or so 1w/1m

These play flat down to 51hz IB close mic than a very low order rolloff all the way to 26hz! My goodness these have excellent roll off for a car midbass.
That means when you cross them at 80 you’ll actually hear the blending with the sub. Instead of dropping off like the edge of a cliff at 125hz these play down into the bass smoothly.

In car response it was super strong to 400 than wanted to drop off just a tiny bit and played easy to 4K it wants a house curve, you won’t have to fight for the tilt in the bottom end with these and have good top end as well.

The only thing that I could find wrong was it’s big and that’s not really anything wrong. It’s a big deep 6.5 and almost a 7” like the beyma 6g40nd and 6ND430
So you get every inch you pay for in surface area.

They probably won’t fit in a early pre 2006 Subaru front doors but should fit in everything else that I can think of with making a plate adapter.
If your car requires slim speakers forget it, but it should go in most doors with a plate.

For the price coming in around 200$ a set it’s a bargain for the performance you get from these. And you can get them in 2ohm.

Hope this helps someone, these are great sounding midbass!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Agree, love these unique speakers I cross over at 74 with 300 watts and the snap and punch is really good. The 4.5mm one way is comparable to many high end 6.5s though I do toy with going GB60s for even higher but then I get in and listen and always talk myself out of it. They are extremely good/ sensitive through the mid range for that Live sound. I got the 2 ohm and you are right they push to the limit the dimensions of a6.5. Another Stevens Gem

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Agree, love these unique speakers I cross over at 74 with 300 watts and the snap and punch is really good. The 4.5mm one way is comparable to many high end 6.5s though I do toy with going GB60s for even higher but then I get in and listen and always talk myself out of it. They are extremely good/ sensitive through the mid range for that Live sound. I got the 2 ohm and you are right they push to the limit the dimensions of a6.5. Another Stevens Gem

So here’s something that maybe Eric can explain I have no idea but have noticed
Between different speakers lower xmax dosent necessarily mean inferior or can’t play lower. I think the suspension has something to do with linearity as well as the xmax or linear travel.

The GB60 may have 9mm of linear excursion, but that must be heavy and can’t see how it plays into the vibrating 100s 200s 300s 400s without having some resistance to the suspension or a tiny bit less compliance.

For example my 2118h has low compliance to about 1mm than it’s stiffer.
Or better yet my celestion 10s have 3mm linear and have a much tighter punch than the b&c with 6mm linear, and again it’s less compliant (and im talking about the old fingers compliance test, how it feels to my hands). And both 10s seem to play equally low, except the 10” with less xmax has noticeably more punch and more snappy. So it depends, I just can’t tell you how I don’t know.

The PR170MO dosent even have a suspension as far as the surround goes it has a felt strip and the cone is stiff and it plays the midrange like a boss.

If I have 10s with 3mm and this 6.5 has 4mm that seems plenty good to me, I don’t know how the compliance plays into it but I’m certain it plays a huge roll (no pun intended) lol

I think what I’m trying to say is , too long xmax seems maybe it dosent play in the 125hz-on up range as good (and to me I would rather have better performance through several octaves vs better performance in a 20hz bandwith.

TLDR : If you need 9mm of xmax on a 6.5 I would suggest get the phase issue fixed that makes you think you need 9mm of xmax

·
Registered
989 Posts
Are you going to try some of the 8’s too? I doubt they fit in your doors but I’d like to see if it would be worth the TEN EXTRA DOLLARS to go bigger. Probably a no brainer for kicks anyway if you could fit them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you going to try some of the 8’s too? I doubt they fit in your doors but I’d like to see if it would be worth the TEN EXTRA DOLLARS to go bigger. Probably a no brainer for kicks anyway if you could fit them.

I have a set of mb8s

I’ve installed a handful of sets for customers, built around the same speaker philosophy it seems, they are very similar

If you can fit them yeah do it! The 8s play down into the 60s if asked
IB rolloff in these kicks I did recently were 15hz.

The mb8 is a badass. Both definitely want to play lower more than higher
But still play high very unique speakers. I can’t think of a speaker quite like these. The 8s are just mean

But this six.5 I just got to say, it keeps its own quite well. If someone had 6” locations in front and rear and didn’t want the noticeable mods or wanted a more drop on , a pair of these is pretty amazing.

I was able to turn up my 8” midrange and horn to matching gains after installing the two pair of the 6.5s as I now have enough midbass to keep up, where the 10s sealed I had a bad resonance at 110 and not enough at 80 I had to turn down everything else to match up right .

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
"My set of 6ND430s and I absolutely loved those midbass, After installing sets of the Stevens in customer cars I liked how they played compared to the 6ND430."

Are you saying you prefer the MB-6 over the 6ND430? If so, can you please elaborate what you favor about them? I suspect it's the output under 100hz. :)

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"My set of 6ND430s and I absolutely loved those midbass, After installing sets of the Stevens in customer cars I liked how they played compared to the 6ND430."

Are you saying you prefer the MB-6 over the 6ND430? If so, can you please elaborate what you favor about them? I suspect it's the output under 100hz. :)

Oh man, I can’t go as far as to say I like them better , I like them different.

The 6ND is such an amazing 6.5. There’s qualities I like about both equally.

The 6ND has better midrange (end of story no comparison) and I’m talking >500hz + under 500hz the 6ND and the MB6 are close but have different qualities.

When I had the 6ND in small sealed or small ported pods it’s output was hard to rival, it could just take power like no 6.5 I’ve ever used or installed. The sound is punchy and transient and just on point.

The MB6 however in IB configuration definitely has a edge over the 6ND in the low end. The 6ND I could play to 70hz IB and the MB6 plays IB , the MB6 plays better IB. Especially under 110hz. The MB6 keeps it together and the detail comes out very good and the detail isn’t lost in resonances. The MB6 clearly has much less resonance and picks up sharp detail in the midbass. The midrange on the MB6 is good though, nothing to complain about at all, still clearer and get louder than any other car drivers I know of. No power compression issues (stays loud for more than 10sec vs like a focal or something)

The MB6 probably wouldn’t be the absolute best if you wanted it to play to 3k however it will do it, you just have to make some big cuts in the 120-400hz range and add power.

For what I’m using them for they are perfect, IB door mounted, midbass that doesn’t need to go past 1k. I’m using them from 70-300, and they work killer. It’s the frequencies they want to play.

The 6ND wants to play 100-5k, it dosent want to go below 100 without an enclosure, which it’s über low qts suggests as well.

I think getting a IB 6.5 to play that last little bit under 100hz losses efficiency and it’s seems it’s a law of physics that dictates that.

The MB6 is masterfully designed for just this, it’s the perfect balance of efficiency and low response and low resonance. It’s quite good.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Very well put... thank you for taking the time!

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like mine in a 2 way to 23/2400. There is a cut at 400

Yep , just what I would have guessed.
Yeah they play up high just fine. Just a little bit more midbass
Than midrange with no eq.

Butyour rigt yeah a little eq and it’s there no problem.

I hope Eric can chime in about the xmax and how it relates to suspension and diffrent frequency requirements vs only worrying about what it does under 100hz

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Explaining driver performance especially related to wide bandwidth and over all power ranges is a very deep rabbit hole.

Xmax is important, but just as important is Xsus but this is primarily related to output within the piston range of output. You can have a motor dominated design and you can have suspension dominated design. I prefer motor dominated drivers typically.

The 6ND430 has inductance control features and a neodymium motor both of which will reduce distortion and I believe thats the difference.

Suspension compliance can induce or change cone breakup modes, this can be used improve FR but can also cause worse response.

·
Registered
299 Posts
From Spec sheet:

Power recommendation: 50 to 300 watts per channel amplifier with
minimal clipping and proper high-pass crossover.

Sensitivity @ 4 ohm is 95dB @ 2.83 volts/1M or 92dB @ 1W/1M

(Edited for clarity on sensitivity ratings)

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a pair MB8-2 that I’m going to put in the doors of my Mazda 6 on 160 watts each. These things are pretty large and don’t think I could have gotten any bigger to fit! Can’t wait to hear them. Went with the 8s over the 6s based on these screenshots:

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yea, the MB-8's look like beasts for sure and a good value to boot, altho I don't know that they'd fit in my doors without some trimming.

Are there still plans for a 3" mid at some point?

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
I think the mb6 will fit my install and listening tastes great. My truck cab bloats the upper bass like too much Taco Bell so shouldn't have any problem keeping up with an 80hz cross point. Effortless sound and fast transients is what I'm after and should be a great replacement for the Scan midbass in my doors that aren't really made for a sweaty install in the humid south. Come Spring I should be a buyer.

Isn't there a 3" mid already making the rounds in team members cars in prototype form?

·
Registered
989 Posts
I think the mb6 will fit my install and listening tastes great. My truck cab bloats the upper bass like too much Taco Bell so shouldn't have any problem keeping up with an 80hz cross point. Effortless sound and fast transients is what I'm after and should be a great replacement for the Scan midbass in my doors that aren't really made for a sweaty install in the humid south. Come Spring I should be a buyer.

Isn't there a 3" mid already making the rounds in team members cars in prototype form?

I asked Mr. Eric for a couple of his midranges and he said there were no extras, they were all in use. So yes, they’re out there. I know I heard a set in Mic’s car last year.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts