DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I think the mb6 will fit my install and listening tastes great. My truck cab bloats the upper bass like too much Taco Bell so shouldn't have any problem keeping up with an 80hz cross point. Effortless sound and fast transients is what I'm after and should be a great replacement for the Scan midbass in my doors that aren't really made for a sweaty install in the humid south. Come Spring I should be a buyer.

Isn't there a 3" mid already making the rounds in team members cars in prototype form?

You would like this one quite a bit I’m pretty sure.
Although I thought the 3” was a companion to the SA line...(idk) either way it would work regardless with eq no matter what speaker line it’s from.

If you like the scans you’ll love these. They do not look like a high end speaker at first glance. They look like something that was pulled out of a console television from the 80s at 1st glance. Once you study it tho and see the basket and motor up close and look at the actual quality of the driver it sorta sinks in how it wants to perform, beastly.

Your truck is sick, yeah I think you would love it

·
Registered
191 Posts
MB-6 vs SA-6:

At what frequencies will the MB-6 outperform the SA-6 in a 3-way, and vice-versa?

Fitment for the MB-6 is a little more challenging for me depth-wise (I'd have to mount outside the door card). I just picked up a set of the SA-6's anyway, just curious as I wasn't really able to find much information on a direct comparison between the two drivers.

I'm completely revamping my installation with all new drivers, amps, and processors. In the midbass location I'll be testing the Carbon C6 against the TM65 mkiii and this SA6, off single channels of a Z-150.6AP and Dirac Live
processing. It'll have to blend with the winners of the drivers below:

I'll be testing my current Morel CDM-54's against Hybrid X-3's and GZ Reference 80's in the crappy stock door location under the grab handle. I'll probably build some A-pillars someday, but I like the semi-stealth I have going right now, with the stock HU still in place, and the only thing out of place being the on-axis sails with bare tweeters.

And I'll be testing IB subs. First my current AE IB15AU firing directly through the skipass against a pair of SBP15's dual opposed in a manifold home theater style. The winner may get a chance against an IDMAX15, just depends on how much energy I have left for this at that point.

So I may well end up the SA6 component set and the GZ Reference 80, all in black and silver would look pretty slick.

I'm really interested to see the results.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
The Differences would be small but are as follows:

MBB6 slightly higher sensitivity ~ 1dB
SA6 longer linear excursion ~ 3mm p-p
SA6 lower Fs
SA6 has copper pole sleeve and aluminum shorting ring.
SA6 neodymium which has lower power compression and lower distortion

SA6 is going to dig a little deeper
SA6 will have improved clarity through the upper midrange due to improved motor design

MB6 is the better value when comparing cost vs performance.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The Differences would be small but are as follows:

MBB6 slightly higher sensitivity ~ 1dB
SA6 longer linear excursion ~ 3mm p-p
SA6 lower Fs
SA6 has copper pole sleeve and aluminum shorting ring.
SA6 neodymium which has lower power compression and lower distortion

SA6 is going to dig a little deeper
SA6 will have improved clarity through the upper midrange due to improved motor design

MB6 is the better value when comparing cost vs performance.
Thanks for clarifying that for me. Sounds like the SA6 is what I'm looking for, I might be sacrificing a little bit of upper midbass and getting a little extra low end, in a form factor that is more workable for me.

So if I'm correct the cutout diameter is 145mm, I think you posted that on the facebook page. What is the overall diameter, of the SA6, and is there any way you could provide a mechanical drawing? I'm going to make some acrylic rings with a laser cutter as this driver is just a little bigger than my current Carbon C6.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Thanks for clarifying that for me. Sounds like the SA6 is what I'm looking for, I might be sacrificing a little bit of upper midbass and getting a little extra low end, in a form factor that is more workable for me.

So if I'm correct the cutout diameter is 145mm, I think you posted that on the facebook page. What is the overall diameter, of the SA6, and is there any way you could provide a mechanical drawing? I'm going to make some acrylic rings with a laser cutter as this driver is just a little bigger than my current Carbon C6.
I sent basket drawing and dimensions to you on Facebook

21 - 29 of 29 Posts