DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally getting around to re-doing the front speakers in my 2002 Tacoma Double Cab as part of a SQ stereo build up (goodbye JBL 5x7 woofers/passive xovers, hello DynAudio MW160, MD100s in the sail panels, and JBL MS-8).

I have a pair of OEM-style plastic adapters, identical to these:

The integrated speaker rings are angled.

They aren't terrible, as plastic rings go, and I think they'd work pretty well if they were a bit stiffer. I am considering making some simple 3/16" aluminum backing plates to stiffen these, as my shop is geared more towards metal work than wood work.

Any thoughts on this? It would solve a few problems with the plastic adapters, like giving the speakers a little extra standoff to clear the window mechanism, and obviously stiffening the mounting platform. and it would be easier for me to fabricate vs. making MDF adapters from scratch, but I won't do it if it's a horrible idea.

Thanks for your opinions.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Finally getting around to re-doing the front speakers in my 2002 Tacoma Double Cab as part of a SQ stereo build up (goodbye JBL 5x7 woofers/passive xovers, hello DynAudio MW160, MD100s in the sail panels, and JBL MS-8).

I have a pair of OEM-style plastic adapters, identical to these:

The integrated speaker rings are angled.

They aren't terrible, as plastic rings go, and I think they'd work pretty well if they were a bit stiffer. I am considering making some simple 3/16" aluminum backing plates to stiffen these, as my shop is geared more towards metal work than wood work.

Any thoughts on this? It would solve a few problems with the plastic adapters, like giving the speakers a little extra standoff to clear the window mechanism, and obviously stiffening the mounting platform. and it would be easier for me to fabricate vs. making MDF adapters from scratch, but I won't do it if it's a horrible idea.

Thanks for your opinions.

Whatever you can do to stiffen the panel you are mounting them to would be ideal.
If you make the adapters stiffer, but the panel still vibrates, I don't see how anything has been gained.
Don't forget to isolate the front wave from the back wave the best you can.

I'd think aluminum would be fine as a spacer/standoff. Use some type of medium to seal everything.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
I would try roughening them in a sand blast cab and see if you can get Bondo to stick.. if you can, build up with Kitty Hair and call it good..

Honestly, for Dyns, I wouldn't even consider using them... simply not solid looking enough IMHO..

If you where to reproduce the whole plate, minus the tapered speaker mounts, out of AL, you would be talking game.... but adding to a flimsey plastic part, after spending what you have to get where you ARE.... meh...

·
Registered
7 Posts
We would love to design some better quality adapters for the 2002 Tacoma at Car-Speaker-Adapters.com We would use thicker plastic, and can offer custom cutout sizes. We already make them for the 2005+ Tacoma. This would be a great addition to our lineup. If you are willing to help us out with test fitting, and sending some photos, it won't cost you a cent. PM or email me at [email protected] if you are interested.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
I would try roughening them in a sand blast cab and see if you can get Bondo to stick.. if you can, build up with Kitty Hair and call it good..

Honestly, for Dyns, I wouldn't even consider using them... simply not solid looking enough IMHO..

If you where to reproduce the whole plate, minus the tapered speaker mounts, out of AL, you would be talking game.... but adding to a flimsey plastic part, after spending what you have to get where you ARE.... meh...
X2 on going with AL.
If you decide to thicken them up with kitty hair, drill the crap outta the part to provide anchoring points for a "mucho mejor" bond strength.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback, everyone -- much appreciated, and I agree with your concerns about the cheap plastic adapters not being a good choice.

After giving this some thought, I think I'll recreate the backing plates in 3/16" or 1/4" AL, and then solidly mount angled MDF rings to them. And yeah, I'll make sure the surface of the doors are solid, so I'm not simply moving slop from the adapter to the door itself.

I've also sent an email to twoelvis to see what he has in mind. I'm going to have the doors apart anyway, so no harm in taking some pictures and some measurements and seeing if he comes up with something that will work for me.

Thanks again for the sanity check!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts