DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, now that I have a 4 channel amp and can now go fully active up front I'm now able to move my LP 2.2HV over to my subamp now.

First, I have a few requirements.

1) It has to be a small sealed box driver...like between .5-1.0 cubes total.
2) Must be able to get a 4 ohm nominal load (svc 4 or dvc 2 if needed) 8ohm is ok but it would only get about half the power.
3) under 250

So my choices have really come down to three drivers:
Dayton Reference HO 12"

Peerless XLS 12" (not sure if the 4ohm or 8ohm is better, or the home or auto driver...or the XLS or XXLS...you get the point ;))

DIYMA 12"

All look great all are within my price range but I'm not sure which would be better matched for my application, small box/high power.

Any help would be greatly appreciated ;)

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I think you can rule out the Peerless... someone confirm this, but I don't think it's optimum sealed volume is within .5 - 1^3.

The DIY isn't available yet, but waiting for it will give you a sub with more XMAX, something I personally don't see nessesary in an SQ setup... @ 18mm XMAX I never drive my D6 to max excursion...

So if you have to have something right now... I think the Dayton is the only choice... & it will work in .65-75 stuffed quite nice with the 800watts you have on tap.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
If you hurry up and order by 11:59 PM, you can still get the free shipping on the Dayton from PE...

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I don't need the sub right now, but the free shipping thing that PE is doing is a nice benefit too.

I know the DIYMA isn't out yet but np said the pre-order price was going to be right around 150 or so which is a great price IMO.

I'm still not sure though but now it's down to two.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm looking into these subs as well. But bass_lover1, I think you should just give me that Linear Power 2.2hv...pretty please ;)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No thanks ;)

I think there's one on ebay right now though.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Oh yeah... there is also the Diamond Audio D6... I have it in .9^3 in my truck off 1000watts if you want to hear it...

Leo does too... so if you are in no hurry to buy something here is something for you to listen to if you want to take the time to hook up...

Oh And you know I'm gonna bug the heck out of you to listen to those XT25's ;)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heh, actually I just bought the Dayton Reference HO about 30 seconds ago ;).

I said I wasn't in a hurry but I lied...lol

Actually I hooked em up today to see how they sounded and I was very impressed with them.

But, now I need to figure out who the HELL i'm going to mount something that is 4 inches in diameter up near my a-pillar. You have any ideas? ;)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Patrick do you still drive the B5 Passat? If the dash is anything like the previous model you should be able to fit the tweeters in the stock dash location... ;)

Best,
Leo

·
Registered
422 Posts
With such a small box are you sure you want a 12"? A pair of 8's or a single 10 would fit that space and open up a lot of other drivers.

·
Registered
578 Posts
bass_lover1 said:
Heh, actually I just bought the Dayton Reference HO about 30 seconds ago ;).

I said I wasn't in a hurry but I lied...lol

Actually I hooked em up today to see how they sounded and I was very impressed with them.

But, now I need to figure out who the HELL i'm going to mount something that is 4 inches in diameter up near my a-pillar. You have any ideas? ;)
We can take a look & make plans... :) Always fun to just hang out for a bit... & you will be happy with the Dayton sub.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
300Z said:
Patrick do you still drive the B5 Passat? If the dash is anything like the previous model you should be able to fit the tweeters in the stock dash location... ;)

Best,
Leo

Leo, actually they mount just after the A-pillar where the side view mirror attatches to the car...basically it's going to require a fglass pod to make them fit properly.

B&K, I already bought it so there's really no turning back now ;). From what others have said .75-.8 is ideal with the power I have on tap (700 watts rms).

Raul, just let me know when you're free and I'm sure we could work out a date to meet up. I've heard that a few companies use a variation of the XT25 tweeter with a smaller car audio flange, so I emailed Tymphany with that question and hopefully they'll get back to me on it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
bass_lover1 said:
Raul, just let me know when you're free and I'm sure we could work out a date to meet up. I've heard that a few companies use a variation of the XT25 tweeter with a smaller car audio flange, so I emailed Tymphany with that question and hopefully they'll get back to me on it.

Let me know when you are done installing the sub...

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually I was planning on doing the tweeters first since I don't have the time really to do a fiberglass box, but tweeter pods should only take a few days.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts