DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
If it's true 4-gauge, then absolutely. Considering the brand and the price, it probably is. Find some customer reviews online and see what they say. Most of the time people are quick to point out if a wire isn't its advertised size.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Stinger is a crappy brand wire DON'T touch it!

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
I wouldn't call stinger a crap brand.?
I don't have any particular brand loyalty, just look for ofc, true to size,strand count, flexibility, and cost. If it's cheap and fits your needs, that's all you need. Stinger, rf, knu, jl, welding cable, etc doesn't really matter if it's high quality run it.

·
Registered
933 Posts
The shop i work at uses that Stinger 4ga. It has plenty of copper for that 900/5 unless you plan on running 30'+ of it.

·
Banned
60 Posts
Knukonceptz has a 4gauge ofc for cheaper then that, and IMO Knu has a better product then stinger.

·
Registered
161 Posts
x2 on KnuKonceptz. Their stuff is top notch. I have their 1/0 KCA and it's awesome. Larger than the Kicker stuff (I know it's copper clad aluminum) and more flexible. Can't go wrong with them.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Even for their OFC version, it is still over size compare to normal 4AWG that others offer... I got lightning Audio's 4AWG Strike series cable, but it is same size as Knu's 8AWG....
Anyway, back to the topic, JL HD900/5 is a high efficient amp, so any decent 4AWG amp kit should work. But not until the extend of what I said on the Lightning Audio cable's size...

·
Registered
216 Posts
No point going CCA, if you are worried about getting the better product, OFC is the only way to go. I've used Knu pretty exclusivelly in the past and never went wrong. This build around still a lot of knu, but went for Kicker Hyperflex for the main power wire (1/0). All distro blocks, fuses, 4awgs are Knu though. But OFC is OFC is OFC. Yeah, knu may be a bit bigger, but you won't notice a difference. However, bigger but CCA is a waste of space - it can't carry as much current. Google the amperage and you'll see that you'd be better off buying thinner OFC wire and have the same Ampere throughput. Doesn't matter which brand really. Heck, welding wire will work just as well, just won't be as flexible, but will have the same exact current carrying capacity. The jacket won't be as pretty, but that's what I used for my big 3 upgrade. Techflexed it and put split loom over that - can't see what the jacket looks like, wire are very well protected and my voltage doesn't drop below 14.1 (running a JL HD 750/1 and 600/4 - albeit very rarely, if ever, at full tilt).

Posting from work, so need this disclaimer:
"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

·
Registered
898 Posts
Get KNU don't look back!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts