DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all thats going on now, it is hard to think back to when i first moved to california more than 10 years ago. Back then, all i had was a little garage in our townhouse with very limited tools and skillsets. it was also the time where i seemed to work on nothing else other than G35s and 350Zs since i was active on those forums. One of my earliest customers was Eugene who had me actually do two different builds in his G coupe.

now, many many years later, it seems we both have upgraded :) as he contacted me to do a simple sq set up in his new bmw 435i Gran Coupe. We have done a ton of late model bmws, but this was the first GC for me...and it was a pretty cool experience.

the goals:

1. achieve a nice level of sound quality using oem locations

2. maintain as stock of an appearance as possible in the hatch area

3. integrate the subwoofer to a stealthy, low profile design.

Eugene supplied me with all the products except the subwoofer, and jesse performed almost all the work on this car.

lets first take a look at the car. though it does cut into the rear head room, i think the GC is a very attractive car...the swoopy profile paints a sportier picture than the standard 3 series, and the four doors make it more practical than the 4...compared to other four door coupes out there, this could be one of my favorite designs:

first up is replacing the factory underseat "woofers" with Gladen oem fitment speakers. and as standard practive, the enclosures were removed, full sound proofed inside and out, and the gladen drivers wired in and installed:

jesse installed the finished enclosures back into the car, and wired them up to the stock wiring:

the stock door midrange was replaced with a pair of hybrid audio carbon 4" drivers, and jesse made some adapter plates for them, painted them black, and secure it to the door. the area around the speaker on both the door panel and the door card were sound proofed:

For the tweeters, Eugene gave us a pair of morel MT350s from the elate titanium set, and these were secured to the oem location for a virtually stock fit:

jesse then ran all the wires to the driver side, away from the oem main power cable connecting the alternator to the rear battery. the bundle is ziptied and organized every few inches:

on the hatch side, the oem amp was removed, and a supplied adapter harness by Technic was used to get all the signal wires needed to the new amps, and the main power cable was run from the passenger side.

both of these bundles travel to right behind the back seat, and then comes back towards the back of the car, and entires the little storage bin via two dips in the metal. this made for zero cutting or drilling of the car for wire routing:

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so the main attraction: the hatch area. so as mentioned, the idea was to be stealthy and low key, and maintain as much cargo space as possible. and in this, i think Jesse did an awesome job in designing and building of the most low profile side enclosures i have ever seen. from directly behind the car, it is very hard to even tell there is a sub there. and even when looking directly at it, it really integrates into the interior and not attract a lot of attention to it self. the hatch design of the car really lent itself to this box as well:

pop off the sub grille and and tilt up the floor cover door, and you see the audiomobile GTS2110 10" subwoofer, and an arc audio xdi v2 amp through a finished cover panel, you see where the cover panel is notched at the front to allow the wire bundles (tesa taped) to entire the amp rack area, from the back shots you can see also just how recessed the sub enclosure is:

here are some build pics of the build process.

first jesse tapped off the side area and created the backhold for the box. then he glassed in the front panel, reinforced the joints, and then shaped the area with filler and sanding until it blended into the side of the car:

the box before upholstery looked like this:

it was then carpeted with black carpet, and then dyed with graphite paint to make it look closer to the oem carpet:

and here is the breathable grille before and after carpet/dyeing:

there are actually two amps that power the entire system, a 1100.5 and a 600.4, but due to the space limitations, they had to be in a stacked configuration, along with the mosconi dsp. so here are the two amp rack pieces, test fitted together:

the racks were then painted black, and everything prewired by jesse:

two rivetnuts were installed to the bottom of the storage well, and the entire structure was bolted in place. the amps and dsp reattached, and wired up:

and finally, here is the top cover panel before and after vinyl

so thats it...another simple late model bimmer SQ build. :) Jesse is now for sure the bmw expert in the shop!

as for sound, since Eugene has now gotten into sq competition, he can probably chime on how it does. but to me, it is similar to most of the late model bmws with stock locations that we have done. well balanced, good midbass response, and just overall a pleasant package. there is one major difference though, the fact that this is an open hatchback vehicle made for better, or rather, more FELT bass response than the closed up sedans and coupes, where there is virtually no real pass through into the cabin.

i just heard that thanks to some much more advanced tuning by Papasin and Eugene, the car did well at its first sq comp this past weekend. :)

Cheers,

Bing

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I judged this car yesterday and really liked it, its definitely coming along nicely, although I did find the limits of the l4 mids a few times lol..but nothing damaging. I really like the single 10 sound in this car, very deep and solid response from being corner loaded in the hatch.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
i just heard that thanks to some much more advanced tuning by Papasin and Eugene, the car did well at its first sq comp this past weekend. :)
Can't take any credit. I sat in the passenger seat the whole time when some of the final touches were done. Shinjohn and MrsPapasin were the two main ears for the tuning, I just pushed buttons. :D

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
your ability to relyably and knowlegably push buttons/understand interfaces is a huge asset to some of us..hint hint lol.

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't take any credit. I sat in the passenger seat the whole time when some of the final touches were done. Shinjohn and MrsPapasin were the two main ears for the tuning, I just pushed buttons. :D
someday, you guys can feel free to get in my car and do some button pushing, preferably while i am eating a nice A5 Wagyu cooked up my ShinJohn. :) my car has not changed since the day i finished it. lol

·
Premium Member
8,895 Posts
I really like Eugene's car. I got to see at at the Papasin's place and got to hear it yesterday at the competition. Very nicely done.

Congratulations to Eugene on your victory in Street! It is great to have more competitors at these events.

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
criticism, anyone?

okay, allow me...

:)

so, I love the good flow of pics, story is solid, most everything is feng shui but man...

don't forget to do motor pics!

no Gladen backside, no Hybrid Carbon backside, no Audiomobile backside...

I know it's probably just a glitch in the mainframe, a little spot got on the lens, or the ever useful, the dog licked the flash drive, but with such high quality throughout, a little more attention to the drivers, (like on other build threads) would go a long way to shutting me down...

shut me down!

lol...

nice work, fella's, gents, ladies?

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
criticism, anyone?

okay, allow me...

:)

so, I love the good flow of pics, story is solid, most everything is feng shui but man...

don't forget to do motor pics!

no Gladen backside, no Hybrid Carbon backside, no Audiomobile backside...

I know it's probably just a glitch in the mainframe, a little spot got on the lens, or the ever useful, the dog licked the flash drive, but with such high quality throughout, a little more attention to the drivers, (like on other build threads) would go a long way to shutting me down...

shut me down!

lol...

nice work, fella's, gents, ladies?
if you see how many times i ask Jesse (and joey for that matter)," you taking pics?!" every day, you'd laught hahahahaha

and everytime i load up the pics from one of their projects and start looking at all the missing pics i am still like :( :confused::confused::mean::worried::blush:

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
if you see how many times i ask Jesse (and joey for that matter)," you taking pics?!" every day, you'd laught hahahahaha

and everytime i load up the pics from one of their projects and start looking at all the missing pics i am still like :( :confused::confused::mean::worried::blush:
I'm sorry, I didn't mean for it to be too heavy-handed and it looks like once again, I reach for the ceiling and end on the roof..

:blush:

it's a very nice build thread and I am glad for all the pics that were presented, I am sure if I needed those backsides, I could google for it so, it's just a little thing.

again, great work and keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
60 Posts
someday, you guys can feel free to get in my car and do some button pushing, preferably while i am eating a nice A5 Wagyu cooked up my ShinJohn. :) my car has not changed since the day i finished it. lol
Seriously! considering Shinjohn only "stopped by" for a little bit, tuned by ear, no measurements....half asleep mr. and mrs. Papasin (it was a long hot day!) doing minor tweeks at 1130pm (though Dustin's ice cream kept them going for another hr to give my car some seat time)...stock location speakers...no pillar pods or kick panels... i would say it came out pretty good. I actually tweeked the midbass a little bit before the comp so it would be interesting to get some comments back in the next few days. The very small underseat enclosures are definitely a limiting factor and creates a lot of resonance and buildup.

Also a shoutout to Jazzi for showing me some of his tuning techniques and how to tailor a system curve to my liking (non-competing preset with more thump when i'm listening to straight outta compton!). Be sure to check out his tuning spreadsheet as a resource in the technical forum, it can definitely help people do an initial tune.

Lastly the sub box came out so fresh and so clean clean!

Got a few comments asking if i was running a center channel.

·
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
874 Posts
Another clean, tidy, stealth build. Very nice.
Eugene - you said it was so "basic" there wouldn't be build a log!
Great write-up, Bing. Thanks for all the pics.
For stock locations and the minimal subwoofer enclosure, with so little tuning time, the sound was most impressive.
I love how each of you says "oh, I just did this..." "All I did was that..." But the end result is great teamwork and a class-winning system.

I agree the 4-series GC is the best looking 3 series available... Too bad no stick shift!

·
Registered
17,758 Posts

time to just hire a photographer

·
Wave Shepherd
2,398 Posts
Well done Eugene!

I'm really glad you are enjoying your build, and we are all glad to have another member to this community.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
How's the integration between the 8's and the 4's? In my wife's 435, the stock system seem to do okay. Just curious if that still holds true for a hi end one.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Eugene, nice to see this build log up. This is a nice system, no doubt! Another great install by the SIS crew (Jesse!).

Got a few comments asking if i was running a center channel.
I think this is the best part of the system. Seriously, it's surprising how well this thing focuses the center image. Really like the sound of your system!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts