DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I just bought a 2012 Kia Optima SX with the premium 8 speaker Infinity sound system. For a stock system I have to say it sounds pretty good. But I still have the itch to upgrade. Especially since I have an MS8 laying around.

Bear with me, I have several questions:

1.) I know the MS8 has a maximum input voltage of around 2.8V (line input) and a maximum input voltage of 15v (speaker level input). Here are the specs:

I will be tapping into my speaker outputs from my stock infinity amp, but how can I determine the voltage coming out of the amp? So I can determine if I can even use the MS8.

This question is a little more in depth.

2.) The stock system is a 550watt 8 speaker system. It is compsosed of a single 8" DVC subwoofer, front door 6.5" coaxials (driver and passenger), rear door 6.5" coaxials (driver side and passenger side), a 4" center speaker, and a 1/2" tweeter 4" midrange combo in the dash on the left and right side.
Also shown here

Now to me that sounds like a 10 speaker system and when you look at the amplifier schematics (attached below) you can see there is actually 10 speaker outputs. The left plug shows the 2 channels of outputs to he sub. The middle plug shows outputs to the center and to the mid range right and left. And the right plug shows the outputs for the door speakers and then for the front left and front right (Which I assume these are the tweeter outputs since the ones labeled on the center plug are 'midrange').

How the hell should I tap into these to hook up to my MS8. Obviously the MS8 only has 8 channels available for input. What is really throwing me off is the dash midrange/tweeter combo. Because they say its a single speaker but they have two separate outputs for it. And also, for the sub, Should I only tap into one channel of output? Or both.

This is the outputs from the headunit, I assume the SPDIF is the speaker signal digitized.

I got all of these documents/pics off the kiatechinfo.com website, which shows all the detailed schematics for the vehicle, (very helpful!).

Thanks guys. And sorry for the huge pics.

Later

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
from what I know of the MS8, it has the ability to sum all inputs. take the speaker outputs from the connector and feed them into the MS8. then use whatever speakers and amplifiers you like.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
from what I know of the MS8, it has the ability to sum all inputs. take the speaker outputs from the connector and feed them into the MS8. then use whatever speakers and amplifiers you like.
So if i just grab everything from the "C" connector in the diagram, my MS8 will do the work for me, then i just run my wires to my speakers and call it a day. It will get the sub channel from that too?

Seems easy enough, I guess i was over thinking it, huh?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I think it is really that simple. check the manual for the MS8 to see if you have to put it in a "summing" mode or if it just does it. but as I understand it. that is all you need.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it is really that simple. check the manual for the MS8 to see if you have to put it in a "summing" mode or if it just does it. but as I understand it. that is all you need.
Ive read thru the MS8 yea the inputs are summed. I guess ill just have to bite the bullet and cut the wires tho because they don't make harness for my car yet. oh well.

Directly from the MS8.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Ive read thru the MS8 yea the inputs are summed. I guess ill just have to bite the bullet and cut the wires tho because they don't make harness for my car yet. oh well.

Directly from the MS8.
cut em or tap into em.

these work really well. just buy the correct gauge type.

Posi-Tap- No Crimp Tap

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cut em or tap into em.

these work really well. just buy the correct gauge type.

Posi-Tap- No Crimp Tap
Yea ive used those before, im not too thrilled about them. I saw another guys thread who basically cut his harness then added some GM male/female plugs so that if he needed to go back to stock, all he would need to do is plug the connectors back in line stock like and it was good to go.

so he had one male plug coming out of the amp, and two female plugs. one of the female plugs went to the stock output wires. and the other female plug went to his aftermarket output. disconnect/connect as needed. its a little extra work, but might be worth it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Opened up my dash speakers last night. It is a combination 3.5" and 1" tweeter. but they have separate channels for each. My suspicion was correct. It really is more like a 10 channel setup, which would make just adding the MS8 difficult cuz you would be missing 2 of the channels somewhere.

I think the easiest thing to do is to swap all the speakers, run my own speaker cable. Add my own amps. (im going with a JL 600/6 and a JL 300/1 along with the MS8.

Now I just need to find a set of 3.5" mid ranges that will fit in my dash.

What would be better adding new 3.5" midrange to the dash, along with new coaxial's in the doors.

Or running just a tweeter in the dash spot with a woofer in the front doors and coaxial in the rear doors?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Opened up my dash speakers last night. It is a combination 3.5" and 1" tweeter. but they have separate channels for each. My suspicion was correct. It really is more like a 10 channel setup, which would make just adding the MS8 difficult cuz you would be missing 2 of the channels somewhere.

I think the easiest thing to do is to swap all the speakers, run my own speaker cable. Add my own amps. (im going with a JL 600/6 and a JL 300/1 along with the MS8.

Now I just need to find a set of 3.5" mid ranges that will fit in my dash.

What would be better adding new 3.5" midrange to the dash, along with new coaxial's in the doors.

Or running just a tweeter in the dash spot with a woofer in the front doors and coaxial in the rear doors?
yes, but more than likely their is some redundancy there. if you pick inputs from the sub, a door woofer, a mid and tweeter, you will get he whole signal summed together.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes, but more than likely their is some redundancy there. if you pick inputs from the sub, a door woofer, a mid and tweeter, you will get he whole signal summed together.
I realize that. but what I's saying is that its impossible to get all the outputs then. since the midranges have seperate channels for tweet and woofer. Once I pick it up, theres not enough outputs to get them all back up. The ms8 only has 8 outputs. to tap back into the stock system I would need 10. Unless there is a way to combine the tweeter/midrange combo into one output.

Id rather upgrade everything anyways. I just have to start picking out some components. I already know what amps I want. and I already have the MS8. just gotta get my speakers.

Are Rockford fosgate coaxials any good? they have a 6.5" two way and a three way that can be had for a pretty decent price on sonic electronics. They also have a nice little 2 way 3.5" that I think will fit in my dash. And Ill go with either a 10" or a 12" sub in the trunk, havent decided yet.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I realize that. but what I's saying is that its impossible to get all the outputs then. since the midranges have seperate channels for tweet and woofer. Once I pick it up, theres not enough outputs to get them all back up. The ms8 only has 8 outputs. to tap back into the stock system I would need 10. Unless there is a way to combine the tweeter/midrange combo into one output.
but that is my point. you dont need all the inputs. the rear door and front door signals are likely the same.
Id rather upgrade everything anyways. I just have to start picking out some components. I already know what amps I want. and I already have the MS8. just gotta get my speakers.

Are Rockford fosgate coaxials any good? they have a 6.5" two way and a three way that can be had for a pretty decent price on sonic electronics. They also have a nice little 2 way 3.5" that I think will fit in my dash. And Ill go with either a 10" or a 12" sub in the trunk, havent decided yet.
never had any experience with RF speakers.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
ah, so you were talking about the MS8 outputs, not the input from the stock HU, correct?

I would grab a few more signals for input, just to make sure you dont miss any signals.

are you planing on using all the stock speakers or replacing them?
if you are replacing them, then are you planning on using all the stock locations?

I will assume that if you are going to use all the stock locations with new drivers, alot of the new drivers will come with passives that you can use in conjuction with the active x-overs in the MS8. even if you didnt here is how you could utilize all 8 channels and still get 11 channels of output.

channel 1-2 front L/R door
channel 3-4 front L/R dash (passive for mid/tweet)
channel 5-6 rear L/R door
channel 7 sub
channel 8 center.

if T/A is not a big issue then you could do this as an alternate and it will eliminate all the passives.

channel 1-2 front/rear L/R door
channel 3-4 front L/R dash tweeter
channel 5-6 front L/R dash mid
channel 7 sub
channel 8 center.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ah, so you were talking about the MS8 outputs, not the input from the stock HU, correct?

I would grab a few more signals for input, just to make sure you dont miss any signals.

are you planing on using all the stock speakers or replacing them?
if you are replacing them, then are you planning on using all the stock locations?

I will assume that if you are going to use all the stock locations with new drivers, alot of the new drivers will come with passives that you can use in conjuction with the active x-overs in the MS8. even if you didnt here is how you could utilize all 8 channels and still get 11 channels of output.

channel 1-2 front L/R door
channel 3-4 front L/R dash (passive for mid/tweet)
channel 5-6 rear L/R door
channel 7 sub
channel 8 center.

if T/A is not a big issue then you could do this as an alternate and it will eliminate all the passives.

channel 1-2 front/rear L/R door
channel 3-4 front L/R dash tweeter
channel 5-6 front L/R dash mid
channel 7 sub
channel 8 center.

10-4. yea now we are on the same page. I will probably replace everything save for the center speaker cuz i want to amp the door speakers, and the dash corners but leave the center just off the MS8. I should probably grab all the outputs from connector B and C on the stock amp cuz the bass channel (on connector A) can be created on the MS8. I dont know why they didnt put all the outputs on one connector.

I have a few options I am thinking of.

1.) replace dash corner mid/tweet with just a tweet, run passive with woofer in front doors. 2-way coax in rear doors. stock center

2.) replace dash corner mid/tweet with just a tweet run active with woofer in front doors, and 2-way coax in rear doors. stock center

3.) replace dash corner mid/tweet with a new 2-way mid/tweet combo, 2-way coax in front and rear doors. stock center

sub isnt really that important right now cuz its easy to figure out.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
10-4. yea now we are on the same page. I will probably replace everything save for the center speaker cuz i want to amp the door speakers, and the dash corners but leave the center just off the MS8. I should probably grab all the outputs from connector B and C on the stock amp cuz the bass channel (on connector A) can be created on the MS8. I dont know why they didnt put all the outputs on one connector.

I have a few options I am thinking of.

1.) replace dash corner mid/tweet with just a tweet, run passive with woofer in front doors. 2-way coax in rear doors. stock center

2.) replace dash corner mid/tweet with just a tweet run active with woofer in front doors, and 2-way coax in rear doors. stock center

3.) replace dash corner mid/tweet with a new 2-way mid/tweet combo, 2-way coax in front and rear doors. stock center

sub isnt really that important right now cuz its easy to figure out.
I would go with option 2a: replace dash corner mid/tweet with just a tweet run active with woofer in front doors, and mid/woof in rear doors. stock center.

unless you just want some highs in the rear of the car, no tweeters in the rear is a better way to go. highs are very directional and will tend to pull your image to the rear of the car. if it were me personally, I would get rid of the rear door speakers entirely.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
So you dont think its worth putting a 2-way tweet/mid combo in the dash corners?
that is all up to you, man. some of the best sounding system i have ever heard were just a nice 6.5" midbass with a good quality tweeter that can play down to 3khz or so. (subs, too, of course) sometimes simple is best ;)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yep, I've actually heard Andy say that on some with bigger door drivers you don't even need to have the sub input. The MS8 can equalize whatever lower frequencies are coming out of the front woofers.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yep, I've actually heard Andy say that on some with bigger door drivers you don't even need to have the sub input. The MS8 can equalize whatever lower frequencies are coming out of the front woofers.

10-4 well now I know what signals I need to pick up, I just have to figure out what components I want to install.

opinions welcome. nothing super expensive, but not the cheapest stuff either. I will be using JL amps.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts